John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Well as Ty lost 18 games last season as captain then maybe thats why he has changed it. We have to get rid of the losing mentiality . Btw  havent a clue why Martinez didnt get it . 

I don't believe Mings is responsible for a losing mentality. The same defence kept 15 clean sheets the previous season and had a fantastic record of seeing out games. Mings may not have been captain then, but he was the real leader. I would say that's more a reflection on the management. However Mings tries to do too much sometimes, so not being captain may help him. 

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It means that we always need to have a player to exaggerate their limitations of during a period that isn’t deemed successful. There is always a player (or players) who will receive the brunt of the criticism and it will be OTT.

See; Tyrone Mings at England. Is he perfect? No. Is it basically ingrained in the public that Mings makes mistakes? Yes. And so he gets given a lot of criticism which goes beyond “normal” criticism.

The same thing is happening with McGinn. He “can’t keep a football” and is “fat”. Will be tough for those things to be shrugged off - which is unfair for the best tackler and creator in our midfield. But that’s what happens. 

Fair enough.

But then again look at the bright side. Any critique can be brushed off as hate or dismissed as not valid so we can just focus on the OTT stuff.

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Captains his country, respected by his teammates, well liked, villa through and through, good player with an all action mentality that leads from the front. 

yeah, nothing. 

Andy Robertson captains Scotland.

McGinn's a good lad and has served us well but much better solution today would've been to make Martinez captain instead given he's an actual world class player and a winner.

This feels a bit like us not being ruthless enough yet again at key point.

I was looking for a season where with 5 games a month McGinn starts 3 and is on bench for other two. With this decision he'll be playing majority of minutes of all five games. At least 5 subs means he should be withdrawn a bit more from 75th min mark....surely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Captains his country, respected by his teammates, well liked, villa through and through, good player with an all action mentality that leads from the front. 

yeah, nothing. 

He captains a shit Scotland team, well liked as the dressing room joker, all action that has been rather ineffective since we got promoted, and leads from the front by continuously abandoning his position and having opponents exploit the space that leaves! 

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

• Like 1

Just now, Philosopher said:

He captains a shit Scotland team, well liked as the dressing room joker, all action that has been rather ineffective since we got promoted, and leads from the front by continuously abandoning his position and having opponents exploit the space that leaves! 

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

He captains an international football team that were unlucky not to qualify for this winters World Cup. All action that has consistently been our best whoscored rated player in the 2021/22 season. Well liked in a dressing room of 12 different nationalities who respect him as a person and a footballer (being stereotyped as a funny man is your problem not his) and your final point is total horses**t. 

mate 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Andy Robertson captains Scotland.

McGinn's a good lad and has served us well but much better solution today would've been to make Martinez captain instead given he's an actual world class player and a winner.

This feels a bit like us not being ruthless enough yet again at key point.

I was looking for a season where with 5 games a month McGinn starts 3 and is on bench for other two. With this decision he'll be playing majority of minutes of all five games. At least 5 subs means he should be withdrawn a bit more from 75th min mark....surely.

He has captained his country. 

Fact. 

Edit: I agree with the rest of your post, Im just not having the constant McGinn bashing on principle that he’s a funny man whos a bit shit and gives the ball away and doesn’t track back. 

Edited by Steero113

The captain does not have to be the best player. Many clubs fall into this trap. The captain needs to be a player that is able to get Gerrard’s decisions to the players during a game and needs to make sure the players are doing what they are meant to be doing. This skill set is different to being the best player on the pitch 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

Gerrard has now shown he's going to be brutal in his search for consistency. It's a big risk but I'm impressed tbh.

If his brutal search for consistency involves naming the problem in our midfield captain, sorry but I'm out.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Just now, Steero113 said:

Fact. 

He’s at best third choice captain for a second-rate (and that’s pretty generous) international team. Using that to show him as a good captain for a premier league team hoping to kick on to a minimum top half finish is wishful thinking in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

The captain does not have to be the best player. Many clubs fall into this trap. The captain needs to be a player that is able to get Gerrard’s decisions to the players during a game and needs to make sure the players are doing what they are meant to be doing. This skill set is different to being the best player on the pitch 

No, he doesn't, but the issue is McGinn should not be starting every game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

He’s at best third choice captain for a second-rate (and that’s pretty generous) international team. Using that to show him as a good captain for a premier league team hoping to kick on to a minimum top half finish is wishful thinking in my opinion.

Not using it to show him as a good captain, purely to show that others see him as captain material against a poster who said he’s showed nothing. 

Seems an odd choice to me but I don't care too much. I think Mings was a great captain tbh, proper role model. Though, doesn't really lead by example with his football ability. But i'm not sure McGinn does either. 

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Fact. 

Edit: I agree with the rest of your post, Im just not having the constant McGinn bashing on principle that he’s a funny man whos a bit shit and gives the ball away and doesn’t track back. 

I'm sure he's captained us in the past aswell. Mind you Mings barely missed a game last season, think he was suspended for Brentford away and can't remember if McGinn was captain there or someone else.

• Like 1

Â