John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

There is nothing about this guy that suggests he's a leader. Bad decision.

He's captained his country as well. 

Clearly displays something. 

• Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

But that is just arguing against McGinn. The purpose of my post is that people are only arguing against McGinn and n out offering any alternatives 

Mings for one. Martinez obviously. I'd consider Luiz or Kamara ahead of McGinn as well. 

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

But that is just arguing against McGinn. The purpose of my post is that people are only arguing against McGinn and n out offering any alternatives 

That's only the pages after he's been appointed. The beginning of the thread was about who people wanted and why.

The question I ask to everyone on here is this.....Who is the worst player now classed as starting 11? Or in a presumed starting 11. 

Obviously the reason why I'm asking this is because I feel it's the new captain. What does everyone else think though? 

• Like 2

Lack of leaders is a problem with this team. Carlos and Kamara both strike me as leaders, (so will be a big help) as do Mings,Ings and Martinez. McGinn is the dressing room joker, not a leader!

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Time will tell I guess, our squad is full of middle of the road players though with the exception of Martinez. I get you might not like his tactics and team selection but in truth we are just swapping out like for like, this is the problem. I actually think making McGinn captain could be a masterstroke. Will be an interesting season either way.

I don’t think it’s all down to the players though.  When you have the likes of Watkins, Ings, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore and JJ you should look better as an attacking force but we lack cohesion so often, we lack ideas and a way of playing.  That is largely a coaching issue because there is enough talent to look better than we are.  As I’ve said I don’t care who the captain is as I don’t think we have a true leader on the pitch but the other problems on the pitch concern me.  I think it’ll be a long frustrating season unfortunately, it’s the least excited I’ve been for a while.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Mings for one. Martinez obviously. I'd consider Luiz or Kamara ahead of McGinn as well. 

Mings is clearly not wanted as captain by Gerrard so we need to accept we are getting a new captain. Doug should absolutely not be given the armband while letting his contract run down, I would give it to ElGhazi before I would give it to Doug. As I posted, Kamara has just arrived and I am unsure he has fluent English. I also think a GK is a bad choice as captain

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

He’s going to start and play every week now, locked in!!! 

This is the only thing I have against this decision. I don't think John's been exactly excellent for a long time now.

But I wish John all the best of course, he's a good man.

• Like 1

Not my first choice . But he isnt going to be a nightmare either. Intelligent and respected by all the squad. The glue that keeps the squad together . And loved by managers. There is a reason why. I couldn't tell you exactly why but he is. He is there to be the managers spokesperson on the pitch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Mings is clearly not wanted as captain by Gerrard so we need to accept we are getting a new captain. Doug should absolutely not be given the armband while letting his contract run down, I would give it to ElGhazi before I would give it to Doug. As I posted, Kamara has just arrived and I am unsure he has fluent English. I also think a GK is a bad choice as captain

I reckon Mings has spoken up against Gerrard or his team on something. This makes no sense otherwise.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Not my first choice . But he isnt going to be a nightmare either. Intelligent and respected by all the squad. The glue that keeps the squad together . And loved by managers. There is a reason why. I couldn't tell you exactly why but he is. He is there to be the managers spokesperson on the pitch. 

The captain is there to lead and inspire on the pitch, not a spokesperson, otherwise any idiot could do the job.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

People outside of a section of Villa fans rate McGinn our best player alongside Martinez 

But he's not, and nowhere near? Do you honestly believe he's anywhere near being our best player?

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Â