UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

I first started watching MMA in about '05, when Fedor was simply the best. I watched his old fights, caught up with the new ones when I could, and I found something enchanting about this man who seemed legit unbeatable - yes, he had a defeat on his record then, but it wasn't a 'defeat' as such. I was first able to watch him live on TV during the Afflication events and then Strikeforce, where he was still seemingly invincible. Those 3 consecutive defeats in ~1 year in 10/11 genuinely saddened me. I love to see the wheels fly off the hype train as much as the next man, but hype was never a word you could use in conjunction with Fedor, not really. Hype requires some sort of personality. He had none. He was a fighting machine, a robot, only concerned with beating the man in front of him - no more, no less. His unchanging expression, whether it be outside the ring, in it, or after a fight. Fearless. His physique, that of a journeyman boxer, resembling more of a Russian bear than an elite athlete. Yes, I had a bone on for him alright.

He is my favourite fighter ever.

When MMA, or specifically UFC, events were less frequent I went through a phase of watching all the old events. Baring in mind I'm also a Godzilla fan, you may be unsurpised to learn that my other favourite fighter was Don Frye. By the time I was actually watching he was past it, but there's some great/crazy battles in his earlier career.

• Like 1

When MMA, or specifically UFC, events were less frequent I went through a phase of watching all the old events.

Same here. Found one of those semi legal peer to peer links with all fights. I think UFC was up to about 90 or something then.  There were some really lean times talentwise in the mid 90s :) If one wants to do it now, every event on both Pride and UFC is on Fightpass. Might take a while to go through.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Meanwhile, former sumo ozeki, Baruto Kaito, goes 2-0 in Rizin.  Next round is December 29th :) 

Even I've heard of Wanderlei Silva !

06e9ae0111b3b0dfaf31f26994b0745f.png

Silva and Crocop in the same bracket?? Matchmaker fubar if the intent is to spin some money

On 15/11/2016 at 15:21, BOF said:

Meanwhile, former sumo ozeki, Baruto Kaito, goes 2-0 in Rizin.  Next round is December 29th :) 

Even I've heard of Wanderlei Silva !

06e9ae0111b3b0dfaf31f26994b0745f.png

I remember seeing Baruto at one of the New years sumo tournaments in Tokyo, a unit for sure - be interested to see him fight against someone like Carwin or Crocop.

UFC champion Conor McGregor continues to call out Floyd Mayweather and attempt to lure him into a bout.

The UFC star has long been linked with a clash with retired boxing legend Mayweather (49-0-KO26), who officially brought the curtain down on his career in September 2015 with a points win over Andre Berto.

Six months half price

Upgrade to Sky Sports to watch Man Utd v Arsenal on Saturday and get the first six months half price

Mayweather previously claimed McGregor was the only name he would ever consider returning for, but admitted in September he had given up on trying to arrange a show-stopping fight with the two sides apparently unable to agree terms

And he this week scotched talk of a rematch with Manny Pacquiao and said he had no desire to return to action.

"A lot of fighters in the sport of boxing may want to retire, but they have to fight because they have to. I don't have to fight," he told USA Today.

"I made $300m for fighting Pacquiao. I'm OK. Like I said before, I'm happy with my position. Once again, the money don't make me; I make money. I'm well off. I make smart moves, and like I said before, I'm happy with where my career went."

Mayweather retired in September 2015

But in a video published by TMZ, McGregor called Mayweather "afraid" and said he was demanding $100m for a showdown between the two during an appearance in a New York nightclub on Tuesday.

"As far as real fighting - true, pure unarmed combat - Floyd don't want none of this," he said.

Mayweather: No Pacquiao return

Floyd Mayweather has dismissed reports he could come out of retirement to fight Manny Pacquiao

"I want the $100 million cash to fight him in boxing rules because he's afraid of a real fight." 

McGregor is flying high after last week's knockout win over Eddie Alvarez, which made the 28-year-old a titleholder of two UFC belts.

McGregor has demands aplenty after beating Eddie Alvarez

Mayweather, 39, accumulated a flawless record during a 19-year career that produced world titles in five weight divisions and earnings in excess of $800m.

Clicky

Of course Mayweather wont step in the ring in a UFC fight, Mcgregor would destroy him. In boxing you have to Mayweather would win this one. Be interesting for Mayweather though as Mcgregor is probably the only guy that could get under his skin

there'll always be a reason with mayweather $$$$$$$$$$$$

what i dont see however is a bloke who made a ridiculous amount of money and spent the latter year of his career hand picking opponents, venues, refs etc in order to protect his record would suddenly change that and risk anything out of his comfort zone, mayweather would be so in control of the terms of the fight that it wouldnt be worthwhile for mcgregor, he'd get schooled in an outright boxing match

its the same as when he calls out wrestlers, he knows he's not going to fight them but at the same time he also knows that its bringing attention from a different market, mcgregor followers on twitter 2.89m, mayweather 7.08m, john cena 8.88m, he's not daft

I love Conor but I think in a straight Boxing match he'll get clowned, shady refs or not.

The only thing to gain for Mayweather is more money because losing to an MMA fighter would completely tarnish his legacy whilst beating him probably wouldn't even raise the bar at all.

It's just not worth it.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No he wouldn't.

I think he would. Mayweather has absolutely no experience fighting with no gloves. Mcgregors speed and accuracy would cause Mayweather problems and also Mayweather is not a big puncher anymore. If Mcgregor hits him without the gloves Mayweather is KO'ed 

I think the big gloves benefit Myaweather significantly more than Mcgregor 

Edited by Demitri_C

Boxing gloves used in an actual fight aren't that soft and padded - I was lucky enough recently to hold a pair of gloves used by a well known current fighter and you'd be surprised how hard they actually are. Different differs will have different preferences in gloves but ultimately they aren't getting in the ring with a load of marshmallow round their hands. And that doesn't account for the wrapping either. And MMA gloves aren't 'unpadded'. The knuckles are similar to a boxing glove.

You also have to account for the fact Mayweather made a career of not being hit. And that McGregor will be used to a style of fighting that gives him much more flexibility in striking and offence than boxing. And that Mayweather was never really a fighter that relied on being a pure power puncher.

It just doesn't happen. A good MMA fighter in a pure boxing match against a good pro boxer has a punchers chance and that's about it (barring perhaps MMA guys who moved from boxing and kept the skill set). The fight will have never happen, but Mayweather wins unless he's gone to pasture, or McGregor gets a lucky punch, which anyone could as you're relying on luck.

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Boxing gloves used in an actual fight aren't that soft and padded - I was lucky enough recently to hold a pair of gloves used by a well known current fighter and you'd be surprised how hard they actually are. Different differs will have different preferences in gloves but ultimately they aren't getting in the ring with a load of marshmallow round their hands. And that doesn't account for the wrapping either. And MMA gloves aren't 'unpadded'. The knuckles are similar to a boxing glove.

You also have to account for the fact Mayweather made a career of not being hit. And that McGregor will be used to a style of fighting that gives him much more flexibility in striking and offence than boxing. And that Mayweather was never really a fighter that relied on being a pure power puncher.

It just doesn't happen. A good MMA fighter in a pure boxing match against a good pro boxer has a punchers chance and that's about it (barring perhaps MMA guys who moved from boxing and kept the skill set). The fight will have never happen, but Mayweather wins unless he's gone to pasture, or McGregor gets a lucky punch, which anyone could as you're relying on luck.

mate I know all about boxing gloves, a friend of mate is good mates with Anthony Joshua and I went to one of his sparring events before he came big you dont have to tell me how hard they are! Mayweather has excellent defence and utilises the big gloves excellently. I think without the gloves be a massive disadvantage for mayweather. 

I wouldn't call Mcgregor landing a punch lucky at all. If he lands a punch and knocks him out thats a good fighter as no one has been able to do it thus far. I agree with your point though it wont happen. It has to be boxing if they ever did fight. Mayweather would get destroyed completely in a MMA fight. No way would he ever agree to a MMA fight and rightly so.  

Â