UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wow, just saw the odds on the McGregor vs Aldo figt, McGregor is the odds on favourite, with Aldo at something like 11/10. Now I'm no expert on MMA, but it seems to me that Aldo is very much mis-priced. Perhaps an opportunity to cash in big? Aldo is a great fighter, McGregor seemingly more of an unknown quantity at the elite level, what do you guys think?

If you play the odds, that's a good one. Having the long time champ and candidate for P4P as an underdog is rare indeed. Conors "talk" is doing the business here. There is every chance Aldo knocks Conor out within a minute. I'm very cautious betting on MMA though, the "punchers chance" and upsets happening is so much greater than in for example boxing.

If I understand those odds, you get 21 back of you bet a tenner?

Looking at the card, it's a betting minefield. Only Tecia Torres and Uriah Faber stands out as rather safe bets.

Edited by Tegis

194 Predictions?

McGregor vs Aldo - Aldo decision

Weidman vs Rockhold - Weidman decision

Jacare vs Romero - Jacare Sub

Maia vs Nelson - Maia decision

Holloway vs Stephens - Holloway decision

Unfortunately that goes against what I want to happen in the title fights.

31 minutes ago, Tegis said:

If you play the odds, that's a good one. Having the long time champ and candidate for P4P as an underdog is rare indeed. Conors "talk" is doing the business here. There is every chance Aldo knocks Conor out within a minute. I'm very cautious betting on MMA though, the "punchers chance" and upsets happening is so much greater than in for example boxing.

If I understand those odds, you get 21 back of you bet a tenner?

Looking at the card, it's a betting minefield. Only Tecia Torres and Uriah Faber stands out as rather safe bets.

Exactly, 11/10 = 2.1 is the gross return on your bet. 

I guess you could say that McGregor has a significant punchers chance, he appears to be a monster puncher, has a great chin and what struck me is the size difference between the two, McGregor looks much, much bigger than Aldo and will surely re-hydrate to be a lot heavier, which will definitely make a difference in the power stakes.

You also have to figure that given McGregor is the cash cow, if the fight is close and goes to a decision, that McGregor will get the nod, so I guess Aldo has to win very decisively.  

Nail on head. Add to that, Aldo fades in the later rounds and generally looks dead at weighins. And now, IV's are banned as well, Aldo used those and kicked up a huge fuss over that.

The more I think of this, I'm starting to agree with the odds :)

I'll be watching and I've ~€40 on Aldo.  From my admitted position of ignorance re- most things MMA, I can't see McGregor having a hope in hell tbh.  I think he'll be KTFO quite quickly.  He largely talked his way to this fight and very nearly lost the previous interim title fight (but admittedly he didn't).  But from everything I'm hearing, Aldo is a different beast to anything McGregor has got near up to now.

McGregor is the real deal and wasn't really in any danger against Mendes IMO. McGregor took out a dangerous fighter on short notice, someone who in his own camps words is always ready and came in with a completely different skill set to Aldo. Aldo also struggled to overcome Mendes when they fought having been able to prepare for him his whole camp.

I can't really settle on what I think the outcome will be but I can't see Aldo KOing McGregor. Potentially Aldo could TKO Conor with leg kicks but I think Aldo's most likely route to victory is by decision.

I think Conor has more variations of winning but I see the fight going the distance with someone winning 3-2. Hopefully McGregor.

The Maia vs Nelson fight is an interesting one.

When you look at one of their most recent common opponents, Rick Story, you would think Maia has the edge having dismantled Story viciously while Nelson struggled to a split decision loss. That isn't the case though IMO. Maia struggles against people with a decent ground game which Nelson easily has. I would also suggest that Nelson has the better stand up.

Should be an interesting fight. I like both of them but I have to route for Maia. He was the first person that really got me into MMA.

I'm going with a Maia decision.

Oh noes! :D

Clickings! - "‘I’m Coming Down With The Flu Or Something’ Aldo Tells Coach"

Screenshot-2014-05-06-02.29.45.png

UFC featherweight champion José Aldo has this morning told coach Pedro Rizzo that he may be coming down with the flu or something, claiming to be suffering from ‘shivers and an upset tummy’, a source inside the camp revealed.

Clasping tightly to his championship belt in his Las Vegas hotel room, the 29-year-old Brazilian said he didn’t feel like getting up this morning and refused to let Rizzo take his temperature with a thermometer.

“He told the coach that he was awake all night and that he doesn’t need a thermometer to tell him that he’s sick,” the insider said. “He even pushed him away when he tried to put a hand on his forehead.

“José said he has had flutters in his stomach all week, hinting that it may be a sign of the flu. He also refused medical treatment, claiming that all he needs is a few weeks rest and he’ll be fine.”

During the bedside standoff, Aldo said tomorrow’s fight now looks unlikely, admitting to breaking out in cold sweats every time he thinks about the bout.

“It’s unusual because he complained about a sore rib the last time he was meant to fight McGregor too,” added the source. “Coach is still trying his best to get him up. We even left a trail of cash from the bed to the front door but he hasn’t budged. He keeps clinging onto his belt and rocking back and forth.”

José Aldo is due to fight interim title holder Conor McGregor for the featherweight championship tomorrow night in Las Vegas at 3am Irish time.

More as we get it…

Pedro Rizzo, there's a blaast from the past. On the back of that, with memories of their UFC fight in mind, I've wiki'd to see if Dan Severn is still fighting. He isn't, he retired about 3 years ago, as it happens. It appears Travis Fulton (251–50–10-1) has finished too.

I find it interesting which fighters are liked and disliked. I really like McGregor but he is exactly the type of person i'd probably dislike in real life.

I can't stand Jon Jones. Even though he is a complete freak athlete I can't bring myself to like him or even want him to win.

18 hours ago, hogso said:

It appears Travis Fulton (251–50–10-1) has finished too.

He really likes to fight :lol: I think he as 50ish boxing-fights as well. Nutter

Just went on Betfair to stick a bit on Aldo as he was the underdog at around 2.6 last time I checked, which I thought was crazy, the odds are now pretty much evens each with Aldo the slight fave. Gutted I didn't get some on at the time was a brilliant price.

Haha brilliant. Watched the whole card. Great stuff. Main event was fantastic and anti climax in equal measure. Hats off to McGregor. I hope Vegas has enough booze.

Â