UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

The connor knock out was a bit of a shame tbh.  Would have loved to have seen how the fight would have turned out once things settled down.

I suppose thats what rematches are for though!

Rockhold was always going to win that.  Stronger in most areas and the best in the division IMO.

How the ref didnt stop that at the end of the previous round is a mystery!

Regarding the Rockhold fight.  I'm no expert on MMA but using boxing as a benchmark, it was relatively close to the end of the round, Weidman was still clearly aware enough and defending himself to a sufficient degree.  This is an undefeated and reigning champion so I think the ref was giving him every opportunity to get himself out of the mess he was in whilst he was still visibly defending himself.  I think any other fighter would have been stopped at that point, but being Weidman he gave him that courtesy while he was not in grave danger.  The fact that the ref stopped it in the next round in the same situation but with a lot longer in the round to go I think bears this out i.e. you're clearly not getting out of these situations so I'm going to stop it now.

I like to see refs give the advantage to the downed fighter and he was indeed covering up well for quite a while on the floor. 

However towards the very end he took a couple of shots too much, shots that clearly dazed him, if it had happened a few seconds earlier id say it would have be ended.

It shouldnt matter the status of the fight or the time of the incident in the round...but clearly this had a bearing IMO.

Just back in the real world after a mental weekend. Brilliant seeing Rockhold knock some into Weidman who was really starting to believe the hype. The difference between these two was amazing... I don't know what Luke eats/trains at/with, but that man is ripped! ... and that fight should have been stopped, the entire crowd was wtf'n watching that ground and pound.

It was a great night that started to be getting a little scary felling with Gunnar getting taking apart, but we should have never doubted the man Conor... foook ya!!!

Any of you see the previous nights action as the mood around was that the Edgar/Mendes stop was on the premature side... Mendes be rightly screwed now as he's lost to all the top dogs.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 2

On 14/12/2015 at 18:02, Nigel said:

I like to see refs give the advantage to the downed fighter and he was indeed covering up well for quite a while on the floor. 

However towards the very end he took a couple of shots too much, shots that clearly dazed him, if it had happened a few seconds earlier id say it would have be ended.

It shouldnt matter the status of the fight or the time of the incident in the round...but clearly this had a bearing IMO.

Re watched it last night and the last 5 seconds of the round he was gone 3-4 massive blows, maybe the ringside doctor should have called it as he was still half gone in the next round 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villakram said:

Any of you see the previous nights action as the mood around was that the Edgar/Mendes stop was on the premature side... Mendes be rightly screwed now as he's lost to all the top dogs.

Nah, id say it was about right, he was gone, only for a few seconds, but gone.

7 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The Cowboy crumbled on the big stage then - RDA picking him apart with ease.

No surprise everyone wants a piece of Conor!

ya, it was so funny, I was almost surprised Overeem didn't call him out! ... and Diaz comes across as someone who played with too much meth!

• Like 1

That was a great card!

Really good to see Overeem beating DS, he has the potential to offer some real excitment in that division.

Gutted for cowboy but its a bit unfair to say he crumbled, just unfortunately winded in the first few seconds, he couldnt do much after that. Similarities with the Connor fight there!

Agreed about the call outs...almost comical!

• 2 weeks later...
Â