UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

What time / channel is it on? 

BT Sport in the UK. Main card starts 3am. So roughly 5am for the main event

• Like 1

Diaz is huge, I wasn't quite aware exactly how much weight McGregor has put on for this fight. I see a lot of people bigging up McGregor but Diaz is naturally a lot bigger and is good on the floor (McGregor not so much). I haven't checked the odds but I'm assuming Diaz could be a good bet?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Diaz is huge, I wasn't quite aware exactly how much weight McGregor has put on for this fight. I see a lot of people bigging up McGregor but Diaz is naturally a lot bigger and is good on the floor (McGregor not so much). I haven't checked the odds but I'm assuming Diaz could be a good bet?

I think both basically fights their "walk around" weight for this one. Diaz got ragdolled when he tried his luck against 170 fighters the last time. 155 is where he belongs.

Diaz has very good boxing for mma and as you said, is good on the ground. Cerrone tried to box with Diaz and got absolutely jabbed to death. Conor will use loads of kicks if he is smart and stay at range. He hits ALOT harder than Diaz and I think that will be the end of it. My money on the Dubliner

• Like 1

mcgregor didnt react in the slightest to that punch, didnt step off, catch his breath, he just wobbled like **** and went back for more, went to ground in an attempt to dodge punches, lost

Edited by villa4europe

I didn't like the look of McGregor. He just didn't carry the weight very well, as I know from boxing, guys often go up one or two weight classes and are just not the same, the power isn't there and the punch resistance isn't the same. 

Diaz seemingly ate what McGregor had and didn't to me ever look hurt, he also hurt McGregor bad with a left, and I was told by more experienced MMA watchers that Diaz isn't a power puncher more of a 'volume' guy. So this experiment at welterweight doesn't bode so well. 

Admittedly from my relatively un-knowledgeable view, where I'd worry about McGregor is the issue of weight. He's a reasonably 'big' guy, not necessarily in terms of height and reach, but in terms of muscle density, he has disproportionately big legs and back, he's 'thick', he probably walks around at 170-180lbs, cutting down to 140 odd pounds must be getting impossible, so the question is how much he can hang with guys at 155lbs plus. Maybe there's a view that a lot of his success is down to his natural size advantage over his opponents and once he moves to his 'natural' weight he will get found out somewhat. My boxing analogy would be Adrien Broner.

Hopefully McGregor can get used to the power of the higher weight. Maybe it was a bit of a shock. I liked his post match interview. Classy and magnanimous which is what you want to hear from someone who has gone up a weight and lost. Not the end of the world by any means. Go away, reflect and come back stronger hopefully.

I wouldn't take too much from Diaz not seeming hurt by McGregor's shots - both the Diaz brothers have been blessed by being exceptionally hard bastards who just take hits, hence why both have faces absolutely riddled with scar tissue. Nate Diaz has been stopped once by strikes and that was a ref stoppage iirc. McGregor is known for being quite heavy handed, particularly his left.

He is a big featherweight, who cuts ridiculous amounts, at welterweight he's at a disadvantage all over in stature terms. He may do better at lightweight. A big problem is he's immediately in trouble on the ground, his style heavily favours staying on his feet and he never looks comfortable on the ground to me. He's a BJJ brown belt but you can see he goes to ground as a last resort, whereas really it needs to be another weapon in his armoury, even if he doesn't favour it. Mendes caused him problems last year, and he survived to win on his feet, but a bigger man who can wrestle and he's in trouble IMO.

• Like 1

I think some people (Americans mainly) don't seem to grasp the gamesmanship of mcgregor pre fight and what he's actually doing for both himself and the UFC, he was very humble after the Aldo victory too

Watched the fight again and seen some post fight interviews, he's **** Diaz's face up, caught him with several good shots in a lively first round, second round he's dropped off the pace and shown the weight, maybe a bit of confidence sapped too because he knows he's tiring and they at he's going to struggle to knock him out seeing as he's hit with his best already

Did see some comments saying this isn't boxing, he isn't mayweather, taking huge money fights vs selected opponents that he knows he'll beat to keep his bandwagon rolling

Â