UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

Broke attendance records and gate record. Still looked a little bit disappointed.

I don't watch much UFC besides the big headline fights and stuff which gets a buzz about it online but Rousey was well beaten here. I get why she was a strong betting favourite due to her popularity (and bookies odds reflect where the money is going rather than who will win, though obviously most of the time they kinda match up) but were informed people talking up Holm before the bout because she strikes me as someone who had all the tools to deal with Rousey relatively easily. 

I've never watched a UFC match, I love boxing but can't quite enjoy UFC as it's just a bit too hardcore for me. Punching  someone over and over in the head whilst on the deck isn't sport for me. I know I'm a bit of a girl :lol:

This was always going to happen to Rousey, and I'm glad it has. Rousey was always going to lose once someone who was a better athlete and a more skilled fighter in a field that wasn't judo. She was never a great striker and everyone could see she would take punches.

Holm was the perfect match to take her. An elite striker and obscenely good all round athlete. The moment Ronda couldn't just take her down and do the same old arm bar, she was in trouble.

Ronda has also looked bad recently, I think there's going to be question of where her career is headed, its looking increasingly clear she wants to 'go Hollywood' with her going on and on about various movies (she's effectively a 1 woman campaign to be Captain Marvel for instance) and it looks a little like that has combined with some hubris to bite her.

Saying that, Holm beats a prime fired up Rousey every day of the week, Holm is exactly the fighter to dominate her.

That gif reminds me of Mike Alvarado's training videos for the third fight with Brandon Rios. Basically, Alvarado has long suffered from drug problems, and was on the meth during his preparations for his fight with Rios...

I just watched the fight. Ronda really doesn't have the reflexes, co-ordination or punching power/technique to go into boxing. Holm was popping her head all night with very short fast punches, Ronda cannot punch like that and never will at her age. She also has no defence other than using her face for a shield, whilst Holm as the ability to slip punches and move her head that top class boxers have (which you'd expect given her back ground). 

I'd venture to say that if Ronda did transition to boxing, she'd be extremely unsuccessful. She'd be much more successful, and earn a lot more money fighting in the UFC, cos if matched correctly she will get her share of wins based on her Judo background. 

But then she will probably make even more money if she goes and works for the WWE, and having a schedule that will allow her to 'star' in movies. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

On 2015-11-14 17:05:06, Tegis said:

8/1 on a Holly Holm win. hmm, might worth a punt. MMA is anything but predictable

Made moneys I did :D

And all the talk of Ronda doing Boxing :huh: She has as much much of a chance winning at that as Holm has being a olympic judoka or Sidney Crosby winning a Landhockey game. Different sports, always has been, always will be and I wish people could learn that. Just because sports share equipment doesn't make it the same

20 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Made moneys I did :D

And all the talk of Ronda doing Boxing :huh: She has as much much of a chance winning at that as Holm has being a olympic judoka or Sidney Crosby winning a Landhockey game. Different sports, always has been, always will be and I wish people could learn that. Just because sports share equipment doesn't make it the same

Go on, Tease me.

How much did you lay down?

Thought the odds were 8/1?

Still, having watched that display it was a sure bet. She completely dismantled Rousey.

What did everyone think of Uriah Hall? I'm honestly not a fan. Yes he is flashy but the next Anderson Silva? I know Silva's career wasn't always spectacular early on but I find the comparison a bit OTT.

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Our odds are different, I tried to put it in english odds, I might have been mistaking. That was my winnings anyway :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Still, having watched that display it was a sure bet. She completely dismantled Rousey.

What did everyone think of Uriah Hall? I'm honestly not a fan. Yes he is flashy but the next Anderson Silva? I know Silva's career wasn't always spectacular early on but I find the comparison a bit OTT.

Surprised he didn't get knocked out in all honesty, A few flashy moves doesn't cover for how little he looked like winning the fight.

Really disliked the Struve fight. Rosholt just lay on him for two rounds to get a decision, Struve never got hurt or in any danger of being put into a submission he just got nullified. So boring to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit meh as usual these days. But I look forward to seeing Tom Breese, he looked very good last time I saw him. Bisping - Mousassi should be a good scrap as well.

Mike Wilkinson- Makwan Amirkhani could be a bangfest

Edited by Tegis

Wow, just saw the odds on the McGregor vs Aldo figt, McGregor is the odds on favourite, with Aldo at something like 11/10. Now I'm no expert on MMA, but it seems to me that Aldo is very much mis-priced. Perhaps an opportunity to cash in big? Aldo is a great fighter, McGregor seemingly more of an unknown quantity at the elite level, what do you guys think?

Â