The Exit Door - Summer 2018

AvfcRigo82

3 minutes ago, WaccoeOnline said:

Point is we had to pay royally to get rid of our good players.  Imagine if Spurs took Grealish and you had to pay 30% of his wages as well, so the deal cost more than the transfer fee over time.  But you were forced to say yes to meet cash flow requirements.  That’s the sorts of deals we ended up signing.

How much will you have to pay to get rid of your terrible ones?  If McCormack is unsellable, would it be worth paying up his contract at 85% of its value in outstanding wages if payments were staged?  Cos that’s the sort of deal you might end up having to do.

At the risk of once again being accused of ghoul-like behaviour, it does seem like some don't quite get the **** nightmare you are potentially walking into.

It isn't a case of what you can get in a fee for a player.

It is simply an exercise in kicking the can down the road. 

Player A. Worth in normal circumstances 10 million.

Current wage 30k a week

"Buyer" knows you are **** to a stump.

"We'll give you £5 mill up front to keep your lights on, but you pay us 15k a week for the next 2 years towards his wages"

"Where do I sign ??"

Once the world knows you are short of cash, this is what happens, and what means Bruce was I assume merely doing the Dr's bidding and putting the entire squad up for sale.

There really is no other sensible explanation for what he said, given precedents.

• Like 1

Sadly the choice of who stays and who goes is not ours to make. Everyone has a price (a low one) and some may go gratis or on a loan just to take some or all of their wages off the payroll. Those players we would most want to keep are least likely to stay and those we would prefer to move on are most likely to remain. If I start thinking about who I want to keep I'll only grow increasingly frustrated when they start heading for the exit door one after the other. I will be satisfied (not really) if we have enough players left to field something resembling a competitive team when this transfer window mercifully slams shut. 

I'm really not that bothered about most the squad, I'm not very attached to most of the players. I'd happily take back Onomah, Snodgrass and Johnstone but sadly that doesn't seem likely. Other than them I'd want Hutton to stay, which seems all but confirmed, then Chester, Grealish, Hourihane, Adomah and Kodjia out of the senior pros, Davis and Green out of the players pushing the first team squad. Hold onto those 8 and we've got a very competitive backbone of top championship players. Everyone else offer out and try get as much as possible for them. 

I would also like Johnstone, Terry & Snoddy back for another season but sadly it's not to be.

Hopefully the departures of Tshibola, McCormack, Richards, Gil and Taylor are to be.

I also think we will see Jedinak, Bjarnasson, & Elmo leave for decent fees but also freeing up wages.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2018 at 23:23, Jas10 said:

Would like the following out:

Bunn (not good enough)

Richards (how???)

De Laet (not great, has his injuries)

Taylor (not a fan, has struggled)

Elmohamady (poor)

Whelan (old, slow and unreliable)

Jedinak (same as above but a good player, can’t be relied on through a full season)

Tshibola (absurd signing)

Gardner (poor)

McCormack (if not a cheap sale then a loan with considerable share of wages)

Hogan (has struggled here, maybe get a decent fee)

I think Hogan has shown in that spell where we were playing actual football and he scored in a few games on the bounce that if the team is set up right he will score. Gardner, given money being too tight to mention might be worth a go see if he can do job in front of the defence giving it to Grealish and then running. He should have a training regime based on getting the ball back, giving it to Grealish and then running. nothing else.

Richards won't be going anywhere, apart from the bank to look at all his money.

McCormack needs to show he's a. not drinking b. not fat c. not going to be a clearing in the woods and d. going to put a shift in.

Elmo can do a job at this level, nothing special but he has been ok for us at times. Jedi as a central defender might have something at this level, the years are catchign up with him though. Whelan can go but he won't we've only just signed him.

16 minutes ago, Warnock said:

How has NOBODY come in for Richards? Not even a Turkish Club? 

It's astonishing that he's not gone out on a single loan. Even if someone only pays £2k per week of his wages its still £2k less for us to pay. 

It can only mean he's refused to go anywhere on loan. I'm sure the club would take the savings. 

20 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

Kodija not in squad for Dresden game?

Perhaps he's part of the bomb squad?

Ducks for cover 

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

Considering the change of circumstances within the club and behind the scenes recently we do not need to fire sale now as such and focus again normally on trying to offload players that we don't really need or just serve no purpose to the cause whatsoever...

Bunn - I assumed he was out of contract at the end of the 17/18 season, but still here?

De Laet/Elmohamady/Bree - The debate with this trio goes in various directions about which 2 do we use of the 3? Do we keep Elmo & RDL & Loan out Bree? Do we keep RDL & Bree and sell Elmohamady? Or sell RDL and keep Bree and Elmohamady? Only 2 of the 3 are needed so for me on the basis we need the experience factor then I would loan out Bree.

Richards - Release.

McCormack - Sell, Loan or Release.

Tshibola - Sell, Loan or Release.

Whelan - Sell. He lives in the area being with Stoke and now us, maybe move onto West Brom or anyone else. Don't see the need for a 3rd DM while we have Jedinak & Birkir.

Gil - Now sold and gone.

Taylor - Sell. Not convinced he is good enough but is he handy just to have as a backup at LB incase of injury or suspension to Hutton?

Lansbury - Sell or loan out. Lack of game time and not shown much in the games he has featured.

Hogan - Sell. Unfortunately it is not going right for him here, is it the player? Is the manager playing the wrong setup to compliment his game? For the fee he cost he is not giving me confidence going forward. I would sell and look to replace.

Gardner - Sell. Not convinced that he is good enough and unlikely going to step up to be a first team regular with us.

Lyden - Sell. Not convinced that he is good enough and unlikely going to step up to be a first team regular with us.

Elphick - I now actually feel we should retain Tommy as either partner or backup to Chester. Still offers a purpose and capable in this league.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Would keep Bree, De Laet, Lansbury and Elphick from AvfcRigo82s list and would add Jedinak as he is pretty much like Whelan (too old, slow etc)and Kodjia as he seems far too injury prone. As for the rest of your list of players, I think its sell or release. In Richards and McCormacks cases, release both from an airplane at 30000 ft without a parachute!!!

Edited by eddiemunster

As much as it pains me to say under Bruce I don't think Hogan is going to make it here.

I'd have approached Boro to see if they'd been interested in a swap for Bamford before going to Leeds.

Irrespective I think if Villa could get around the same fee for Hogan and bring someone else in more suitable to Bruce's style of play then Hogan should be sold.

21 minutes ago, striker said:

As much as it pains me to say under Bruce I don't think Hogan is going to make it here.

I'd have approached Boro to see if they'd been interested in a swap for Bamford before going to Leeds.

Irrespective I think if Villa could get around the same fee for Hogan and bring someone else in more suitable to Bruce's style of play then Hogan should be sold.

Nobody who's seen Hogan play in the last year and a half is going to spend any money on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

Nobody who's seen Hogan play in the last year and a half is going to spend any money on him.

Worst still, he is perennially INJ that will only to serve to drive down his price more.

1 hour ago, striker said:

I’ve seen glismpses from him and I always think he can make a difference, which leads to frustration when he ultimately does not in this Villa team. He appears to me to do the right things, make the right runs, has good acceleration, is strong and finishes well. Perhaps his biggest weakness is being a focal point, holding up the ball and allowing others to come into play; attributes that appear to be vital for the lone frontman in the current set-up. 

It would be interesting to see if he could recapture his Rochdale/Brentford form under a different system and/or coach.

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

It would be interesting to see if he could recapture his Rochdale/Brentford form under a different system and/or coach.

This is why I still feel he would be of interest to other clubs and why after retaining Bruce he should be sold as Bruce will continue to set up the team as he did last season.

• Like 1

Â