World Cup : Group G (Eng, Bel, Pan, Tun)

BOF

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cavani is the most overrated forward I've ever seen to be honest. 

yep, not sure what his conversion rate is but he always looks like he needs a lot of chances to get his goals

that said if i was a betting man i'd happily put a fiver on him scoring a header today

• Like 1

English FA, UK police investigating video of England fans performing Nazi salutes 

England's Football Association (FA) has confirmed they're working with British police in investigating an online video of English fans appearing to perform Nazi salutes at the Fifa World Cup in Russia.

The Independent report the video was filmed in a bar in Volgograd, the Russian city which hosted England's opening game of the tournament against Tunisia on Monday (Tuesday NZ time). 

The footage is said to show fans raising their arms in salute and chanting anti-Semitic songs.

Tunisia got one past the goalkeeper to upset England fans for a while at Russia 2018.

England beat 2-1 Tunisia thanks to Harry Kane's brace and no trouble had been recorded before, during or after the Group G clash, but this incident has marred an occasion that passed with no reported violence or arrests.

The FA on Wednesday (Thursday NZ time) said in a statement they condemned the "disgraceful" actions of the football fans in the video, the Independent reported.

"We are working with the relevant authorities, including the UK police investigations team, who are making inquiries to identify the individuals involved and take appropriate action," the statement read.

"The disgraceful conduct of the individuals in this video does not represent the values of the majority of English football fans supporting the team in Russia."

No trouble had been reported until an online video emerged of fans performing Nazi salutes in a Russian bar.

England fans were warned against draping English flags on monuments around Volgograd, formerly known as Stalingrad, in a sign of respect to a city that witnessed one of the deadliest battles of the Second World War.

Two years ago in France, English and Russian fans violently clashed in Marseille as the two nations contested their first game of Euro 2016.

Meanwhile, Mexico striker Javier Hernandez pleaded with his nation's supporters to stop chanting a homophobic slur at the World Cup in Russia.

The Mexican fans were heard chanting a Spanish expletive during Germany's goal-kicks in their surprise 1-0 win over the defending champions. The term used was slang for a male sex worker, and gay rights groups argue the chant is homophobic.

The Mexican football association has already been sanctioned 12 times for using homophobic chants during the World Cup qualifying campaign, receiving warnings for the first two offences and fines for 10 more.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-game/104888728/english-fa-uk-police-investigating-video-of-england-fans-performing-nazi-salutes

Morons and alcohol is a bad combination...

was waiting for it to be posted...

I've seen the video, its 3 absolutely battered im assuming chelsea or arsenal fans singing an anti spurs Auschwitz song, it has absolutely nothing to do with england or england fans, its a club rivalry and a bunch of mongs

but that doesnt stop the likes of the sun printing the headline above photos like this one and claiming we are all nazis disgracing the nation again

355AB7C100000578-3644279-image-a-155_146

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

was waiting for it to be posted...

I've seen the video, its 3 absolutely battered im assuming chelsea or arsenal fans singing an anti spurs Auschwitz song, it has absolutely nothing to do with england or england fans, its a club rivalry and a bunch of mongs

but that doesnt stop the likes of the sun printing the headline above photos like this one and claiming we are all nazis disgracing the nation again

I don't really understand your point, to be honest.  Should it be ignored?

Go abroad, support your country and behave yourselves.  It really isn't **** hard at all, yet we've consistently got morons doing moronic stuff.  **** them.

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't really understand your point, to be honest.  Should it be ignored?

Go abroad, support your country and behave yourselves.  It really isn't **** hard at all, yet we've consistently got morons doing moronic stuff.  **** them.

no it shouldnt be ignored at all but at the same time should there be any kind of implication that this represents england or english fans

like i said its 3 dickheads in a bar singing i think a chelsea song being labelled as "england fans" and with a picture of thousands of fans with their arms up in the air, its misleading and blown out of proportion 

• Like 1

Leaked teamsheet for Panama suggests Sterling dropped.  Eh now hang on.  It's perfectly reasonable to rotate in the group stages, especially against the weakest opponent you will face.  But it's par for the course at this point for the media to interpret anything Sterling-related in the most negative light possible.  I hope this non-stop agenda isn't getting to him.  Poor bloke takes a **** hammering.

• Like 2

We couldn't have a major competition without at least some poor behaviour from England fans. Casual racism and an unfortunate superiority complex is actively encourage in our country. No wonder some people act it out when abroad. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2018 at 14:10, Dr_Pangloss said:

England has a disproportionate number of morons travelling away/ to tournaments when compared with other countries. That video is just the tip of the iceberg.

Do they? Or is it that we just see the British media highlight the England fans?

I’m sure all countries have their idiotic support, we just don’t hear about them as much. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Do they? Or is it that we just see the British media highlight the England fans?

I’m sure all countries have their idiotic support, we just don’t hear about them as much. 

Following on from media bias I find it fascinating that South American fans have come in their thousands to Russia as probably the Ruskies don't have a bad press over there.  

According to reports now loads of England fans have seen it's not as bad as our press made out pre tournament and are applying for tickets.

Seems to have been pretty fan friendly so far it's good to see.

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

from my experience of going to france to watch the euros and watching england post marseille in st etienne they definitely are no worse than croatian, albanian or romanian fans

the treatment of england fans by UEFA, sponsors, locals, police though is a world away, its utter contempt 

• Like 1

Â