18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

7 hours ago, romavillan said:

They got really found out at the back, more pace and quality up there than down here. Wolves better organised to deal with that it seems.

Agree. Their Manager didn’t look great at the defensive sid3 when they were down here, now he looks reckless and naive.

I don’t think the failure of the recently promoted Clubs is structural, I think they each have different causes...as long as we learn from them there’s no reason we shouldn’t stay up once up.

• Like 2

The thing with Fulham is everything just clicked, they went on a mad run and the momentum just kept them going, confidence was flowing so they felt unbeatable, got bits of luck here and there, I think we gave a good account of ourselves at Craven Cottage, a bit of our luck instead might have brought their run crashing down against us a rival and things may have been different. 

Basically they were probably greater than the sum of their parts. 

A bit like Leicester when they won the league, it just became like a juggernaut, but once the season finished they were never going to start the next one just the same. 

Added to which they have obviously bought badly. 

But yes you only need to look to Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth and any number of other teams to see how it can be done, Fulham are more like the exception than the norm actually. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m getting angry watching this game knowing we drew with them when they had 10 men for half the game. 

They’re awful.

If we hadnt drew then Bruce may well have been in charge for 1 more game!

Good result for us the Sheffield United draw against Rotheram.

Could do with a few of the lower teams holding back our top 6/ Top 2 rivals today!

EDIT: Preston also beating Blackburn who are right above us, stars aligning?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good result for us the Sheffield United draw against Rotheram.

Could do with a few of the lower teams holding back our top 6/ Top 2 rivals today!

EDIT: Preston always beating Blackburn who are right above us, stars aligning?

Out of all the teams above us I expect Norwich, Sheff United, Blackburn and QPR to start dropping points. The rest will be our competition.

edit: maybe Norwich are this seasons Cardiff 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Imagine if the top two places were Villa and Norwich, final game of the season is against them at Villa Park. Maybe we could have a big promotion party and laugh about how there was once ill feeling over Paul Lambert. 

I’d settle for that now :P

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Imagine if the top two places were Villa and Norwich, final game of the season is against them at Villa Park. Maybe we could have a big promotion party and laugh about how there was once ill feeling over Paul Lambert. 

I’d settle for that now :P

They’ve hit the elusive 2 points a game. Fair play to them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Right if things stay as is and Brentford can somehow beat Boro. We win tomorrow and we are 4 points behind 5 teams on 31 points!!

Leeds having other ideas mate.

But it’s certainly congested up in those top six or seven positions. Difficult to say who will last the pace and who will fall away.

Guess we just have to concentrate on what we’re doing.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Leeds having other ideas mate.

But it’s certainly congested up in those top six or seven positions. Difficult to say who will last the pace and who will fall away.

Guess we just have to concentrate on what we’re doing.

Would be happy just keeping in touch with top 6 up to New year.

We then have a good run of games in January and February so with a new signing or two that's when I expect us to motor towards the top 6.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would be happy just keeping in touch with top 6 up to New year.

We then have a good run of games in January and February so with a new signing or two that's when I expect us to motor towards the top 6.

Yeah I think so, if the top 6 or 7 remains as tight as it is by January, being a few points off would be alright.

I know Smith says the aim is to win every game, but I think he’d be quite happy with reaching 40-42 points between now and 1st January. Eight games to achieve a further 16-18 points. 

If we picked up a win or two against the likes of Boro, Baggies or Leeds I’d really start to think we could do it.

• Like 1

I sadly think it's too late. We are too far behind.

Do you really see us going on a 10 game winning streak? With the defence we have? I don't.

We will sign defender in January but i still feel it will be a bit too late. Next season i am more hopeful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Norwich are smoking. Still couldn't name half their team though.

Yup, well they got their manager in last season and started to build their system from then.

They are now clicking and fluid.

We are playing catch up and attempting a mammoth task.

I feel it will be playoffs at best for us but that will still be an achievement.

If we had been using this blueprint from a couple of years ago we would be having a different convo.

Our time will come!

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I sadly think it's too late. We are too far behind.

Do you really see us going on a 10 game winning streak? With the defence we have? I don't.

We will sign defender in January but i still feel it will be a bit too late. Next season i am more hopeful.

Yes for top 2. Realistically all the teams above won't all go on terrible runs. Fulham had their amazing run from January last year and still didn't finish above Cardiff.

Play offs shouldn't be written off though, we've been playing much better and Derby was a statement of intent victory. Hopefully the two week break hasn't stopped that momentum.