What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

On 09/07/2020 at 18:57, sharkyvilla said:

I never realised there is another Budweiser company, this one from Czechia.  I was skeptical when my mate said to try this dark lager by them but it's right up my alley.  By the way, I'm proud that after about 8 years on this site I've finally worked out how to put a picture into a post :lol:

spacer.png

I’ve been to the brewery, when I was on holiday in the Czech Republic, and did the tour. That dark lager straight from their brewery bar is still one of my all time beer highlights. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 18:44, Xela said:

You see all sorts labelled on the cans and bottles. New England IPA, Vermont IPA, East Coast IPA, West Coast IPA, Hazy IPA, American IPA, Tropical IPA, Double IPA, Triple IPA, Imperial IPA, etc.

Most I assume overlaps and are just different names for the same thing

I don’t know if you are interested in reading a long post on beer styles and history but I’m going to go for it anyway 😁

West Coast IPA is the original American interpretation of British IPA. The American varieties of hops (think ‘Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, etc) were developed and grown in places like Washington State on the west coast of the US and have much higher ‘alpha acids’ than traditional British or German hops. This gives them much more bitterness if they are added early in the wort boil and much more fruitiness if they are added late in the boil or during fermentation (called ‘dry hopping’). The West Coast IPA are usually quite bitter but still have strong hop flavours and are usually described as ‘piney’, ‘resinous’, ‘fruity’ or ‘dank’.

New England IPA, East Coast IPA, Vermont IPA and Hazy IPA are all essentially the same thing. The style was invented relatively recently by breweries in the ‘New England’ part of the US so the name is not really settled. They usually have a big chunk of something like oats or wheat in the mash alongside the usual malted barley. That is what makes it cloudy but also makes them a bit ‘creamy’. They also typically have very low bitterness, the hops are boiled only for a very short amount of time (if at all) but huge amount of hops are added whilst the beer is fermenting (dry hopping). This means they often come off tasting more like tropical fruit juice than typical beer. 

The ‘double’, ‘triple’ or ‘imperial’ description is essentially how concentrated the beer is. Essentially more malt and hops thrown into the same volume of water, giving more alcohol and hop flavour or bitterness. 

🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Zywiec. 

And while it's got nothing to do with polish beer, cider really is shit isn't it? I kinda question the character of anyone that wants to drink that shite. 

What a horrible thing to say. I live right in the heart of cider country and we all drink cider round here. We have bulmers, Weston's amongst others just down the road. The mainstream ciders are usually average, but you can find some very nice ones too. But to question someone's character because they drink a different drink to you?? I'd question the character of someone that would do that.

Jesus christ it's said in jest. As cider is that overrated. 

Can't believe I had to explain this. Swear some people are so oversensitive and without the ability to read between the lines, that I genuinly wonder how you can survive on a day to day basis without falling over. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Can't believe I had to explain this. Swear some people are so oversensitive and without the ability to read between the lines, that I genuinly wonder how you can survive on a day to day basis without falling over. 

There's some people on here I can tell are joking, with you I can't. For example, questioning wether I can stand straight for a full day because I can't tell if you're joking or not on an internet forum with typed text, no context and no tone. Perhaps you should question why you make people feel this way on an internet forum rather than questioning t'other person.

Some people feel the need to get things explained in detail. Often accompanied by a dozen emojiies. I don't.
I see no reason to change my humour cause a few people are incapable of understanding it either. The fact that this has to be told someone that's English is rather funny.

But by all means, enjoy your cider. 

Bought a bottle of cachaca. Already had a bottle of Havana Club.

One slope of Mt Compost Heap is almost entirely comprised of slaughtered limes.

They're mingling with the cat piss and bringing the pH down, possibly?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Here in Sweden the cider we get is pretty terrible. I don’t know but it is likely you would have similar in Norway. It’s very sweet and has very little complexity, more like alcoholic apple/pear concentrate.

If you ever travel to a cider region (southwest U.K., north west France or north west Spain come to mind) it’s a whole other world with some really interesting stuff. 

I know. Same story in Norway. I've tried to taste my way when I've been travelling to England, but still to find anything where I'm thinking 'have to have this again'. 

Still quite the rookie on cider mind, so might get there eventually. 

I don't mind a nice cider. Got to be the right circumstances though. A sunny day in a country pub beer garden is ideal! 

• Like 1

I love an ice cold cider on a hot day in the garden. I've never enjoyed lager and like my beer above fridge temperature, so cider is my summer's day drink. Quite like Henry Weston's, but it makes me forget how my feet work.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 12:15, LondonLax said:

I don’t know if you are interested in reading a long post on beer styles and history but I’m going to go for it anyway 😁

West Coast IPA is the original American interpretation of British IPA. The American varieties of hops (think ‘Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, etc) were developed and grown in places like Washington State on the west coast of the US and have much higher ‘alpha acids’ than traditional British or German hops. This gives them much more bitterness if they are added early in the wort boil and much more fruitiness if they are added late in the boil or during fermentation (called ‘dry hopping’). The West Coast IPA are usually quite bitter but still have strong hop flavours and are usually described as ‘piney’, ‘resinous’, ‘fruity’ or ‘dank’.

New England IPA, East Coast IPA, Vermont IPA and Hazy IPA are all essentially the same thing. The style was invented relatively recently by breweries in the ‘New England’ part of the US so the name is not really settled. They usually have a big chunk of something like oats or wheat in the mash alongside the usual malted barley. That is what makes it cloudy but also makes them a bit ‘creamy’. They also typically have very low bitterness, the hops are boiled only for a very short amount of time (if at all) but huge amount of hops are added whilst the beer is fermenting (dry hopping). This means they often come off tasting more like tropical fruit juice than typical beer. 

The ‘double’, ‘triple’ or ‘imperial’ description is essentially how concentrated the beer is. Essentially more malt and hops thrown into the same volume of water, giving more alcohol and hop flavour or bitterness. 

🍺🍺

;)

200.gif

On 09/08/2020 at 19:09, Davkaus said:

I love an ice cold cider on a hot day in the garden. I've never enjoyed lager and like my beer above fridge temperature, so cider is my summer's day drink. Quite like Henry Weston's, but it makes me forget how my feet work.

I went to the Hereford cider festival one year. Blazing hot sunshine and 8% still ciders. I don't know how I made my train back to Brum. 

Â