What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Mikkeller_Blow_out_grande.png?v=15729466

'Blow Out' by Mikkeller last night. As I've said many times on here, I love Mikkeller beers, and this is no exception. I find it hard to review IPAs. What to say? It was a bit floral, very faintly citrus, very nicely balanced. Basically, it was very tasty!

They are struggling now due to corona, so keep buying cans! 

• Sad 1

Slight controversial statement, but IPA is kinda overrated isn't it? Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I get a lovely IPA, but the majority of them are just bleh. 

I feel IPAs are almost the alcoholic beverage where I can notice the big difference between good and bad production. 

But then again, I'm not the most cultured drinker. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Slight controversial statement, but IPA is kinda overrated isn't it? Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I get a lovely IPA, but the majority of them are just bleh. 

I feel IPAs are almost the alcoholic beverage where I can notice the big difference between good and bad production. 

But then again, I'm not the most cultured drinker. 

Like anything there's always going to be good and bad, we're gonna need some examples of what you've been drinking. And freshness is going to be an issue as well if it's particularly hoppy.

Edited by fightoffyour

On 19/06/2020 at 18:18, Xela said:

Omnipollo Elvis:

Ok, its an interesting one. Smooth and slick, tastes like liquid banana ice cream on the first sip. Not really getting the bacon or peanut taste but the bourbon is definitely there. Not one to session on as it could get sickly very quick. 

I'd really like to try this (and a few others mentioned in the thread) but the cheapest I can find it is £7 per can and I don't think I can justify that!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

I'd really like to try this (and a few others mentioned in the thread) but the cheapest I can find it is £7 per can and I don't think I can justify that!

Yeah that sounds about right. I think I paid £7 or £7.50 from Cotteridge Wines. 

You've probably got to treat it as a one off as opposed to comparing it to £2 or £2.50 pale ales or IPAs. More to savour than glug down but yeah, its a lot of money for a 330ml can! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

You've probably got to treat it as a one off as opposed to comparing it to £2 or £2.50 pale ales or IPAs. More to savour than glug down but yeah, its a lot of money for a 330ml can! 

Also a lot of money for what I said was really great, but too much to enjoy on your own even in that small quantity. As is so often the case, sharing is caring!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think it certainly has the broadest range. To the point it's laughable that some drinks are considered in the same category. Greene King IPA and Jaipur just aren't the same kind of beer, are they? And that's before you get on to the DDH IPAs, east/west coast. 

I actually tend to shy away from microbrewery IPAs these days because there are just so many that I dislike. I haven't narrowed it down to the kind of hops but some of them, particularly west coast IPAs give me a kind of oniony, almost coleslaw aftertaste. 

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it certainly has the broadest range. To the point it's laughable that some drinks are considered in the same category. Greene King IPA and Jaipur just aren't the same kind of beer, are they? And that's before you get on to the DDH IPAs, east/west coast. 

I actually tend to shy away from microbrewery IPAs these days because there are just so many that I dislike. I haven't narrowed it down to the kind of hops but some of them, particularly west coast IPAs give me a kind of oniony, almost coleslaw aftertaste. 

Sabro

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Yeah I'll occasionally pay £3-4 for something I fancy, but don't think I can justify double that on 330ml. Plus if I did think it was worth it, I'd end up having to buy more and then I'd need to remortgage 😂

(Might actually still treat myself if the only local craft shop we have gets some in, mind.)

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Also a lot of money for what I said was really great, but too much to enjoy on your own even in that small quantity. As is so often the case, sharing is caring!

I'm sad and don't have anyone to share it with, unless I can convince my pregnant wife who hates the taste of beer...

7 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Yeah I'll occasionally pay £3-4 for something I fancy, but don't think I can justify double that on 330ml. Plus if I did think it was worth it, I'd end up having to buy more and then I'd need to remortgage 😂

(Might actually still treat myself if the only local craft shop we have gets some in, mind.)

I'm sad and don't have anyone to share it with, unless I can convince my pregnant wife who hates the taste of beer...

It's not sad, I'm just very lucky to have a mrs who likes beer as much as me (or even more @il_serpente!? 😛)

You should go for it if you find it, just prepare to enjoy it over some time. Also, it doesn't taste anything like beer as you know it, so she may well like the taste. As for the pregnancy, well, congrats and maybe afterwards!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

I wouldn't worry about a £7 beer when you are having a kid. The average cost of raising a child until 18 years old is about £100k. 

£7 is a drop in the ocean! ;) 

• Like 1

Â