Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

What is it that they disagree with? You're not answering why you think this is a genocide.

I think it's what the South Africans have said it is - genocidal intent. I appreciate you don't work in hypotheticals, but I'm not sure anyone could predict that Israel if left unchecked would just shut up shop and go home. The direction of travel with regard to the West Bank is clear, the levelling of Gaza also clear. 

Just now, magnkarl said:

So targeting population areas is genocide? To play devil's advocate, name me a war where population areas aren't targeted, please

I don't personally know of any other wars where the countries being bombed has it's civilians told to use certain roads, or move to certain areas.. only to have those roads and areas bombed. Quite clear intent. Genocide does require intent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't personally know of any other wars where the countries being bombed has it's civilians told to use certain roads, or move to certain areas.. only to have those roads and areas bombed. Quite clear intent. Genocide does require intent.

Ukraine, Russia opened corridors for civilians to flee and bombed them

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

If you ever go to Hamburg, there's a cemetery in one of the Northern suburbs called Ohlsdorf, the day before the allies bombed Hamburg, killing 40.000 women, children and elderly, letters were dropped on the city saying 'evacuate the city, move north and use the river'. Ohlsdorf was one of the places where people fled to, in the inferno that followed due to incendiary munitions being dropped on the old wooden Hanseatic town people burned to death on boats on the river, and by the thousands where the cemetary is now located.

The Pro-Palestinian case here is weak, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence and tales of the Torah and what not. It won't stick. Calling someone Amalek in Hebrew is the same as someone calling someone devil in English, it's a term you call your enemies.

'The nazies are devils'

'Iran is like Amalek'

Edited by magnkarl

19 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think it's what the South Africans have said it is - genocidal intent. I appreciate you don't work in hypotheticals, but I'm not sure anyone could predict that Israel if left unchecked would just shut up shop and go home. The direction of travel with regard to the West Bank is clear, the levelling of Gaza also clear. 

I don't think Israel will shut up shop, because Iran and their proxies won't ever let up. Because the Arab league tried and failed to annihilate Israel 3 times the new strategy is to have the Palestinians cause havoc inside Israel, which is why, on a whole,  you don't see any of the countries constantly complaining about Israel being overly willing to help Palestinian civilians.

Palestinian civilians are Iran's ammunition to keep this war going.

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I see the conversation has really moved on in here.

Israel are bad but because other people are bad they should be allowed to continue being bad.

Okay cool.

Could you point me in the direction of where this was said?

So SA have just fired their u19 cricket captain, ‘for security reasons.’ He’s Jewish.

No no, nothing to see here. Impeccable country.

Edited by magnkarl

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

So SA have just fired their u19 cricket captain, ‘for security reasons.’ He’s Jewish.

No no, nothing to see here. Impeccable country.

It happened last week - I nearly posted it in the anti-semitism thread, but when you scratch below the surface it's not as alarming a decision as it might first appear.

It's a bit of an uncomfortable situation all round, but it's probably not the brightest or most diplomatic move to dedicate an award that he recently won to the IDF. He's still in the squad, he's just no longer the guy who will be doing all the interviews. Because that's all he would be asked about now. 

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Gary Lineker supporting calls for Israel to be thrown out of international and UEFA competitions, in a similar way to the Russians.

Notwithstanding that Israeli teams shouldn't be in the UEFA competitions in the first place, I think that's a pretty sensible suggestion - games featuring those teams will become a flashpoint for protest.

Goddamn anti-Semites.

So Iran have fired at the American consulate in Iraq with ballistic missiles. I don't see how the US are going to allow the Houthis, Hezbollah and Iran to keep this up without getting properly involved.

2 hours ago, sne said:

The US did murder that general back in 2020 so it's hardly unprovoked 

Iran also bombed the US consulate in Iraq for that back then, and sicked their Iraqi militias on Western consulates both before and after their general was taken out. To be fair, along with North Korea and Russia, Iran's despotic regime is due some karma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Iran also bombed the US consulate in Iraq for that back then, and sicked their Iraqi militias on Western consulates both before and after their general was taken out. To be fair, along with North Korea and Russia, Iran's despotic regime is due some karma.

Yeah, lots of regimes are.

There’s a degree of irony in watching Iran casually start lobbing missiles at a nuclear-armed state, given their apparent belief that getting their own will guarantee their security.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2

Â