Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Took the family to watch Ant-Man 3 this morning and it was ok but no way stellar. 

As entertainment goes, I enjoyed it but as a serious cog in the MCU, other than introducing the next ‘big bad’ it fails to hit the high bar of previous films. 

I saw Antman Quantumania on Sunday. It’s ok, certainly not the worst in phase 4 and for me better than Antman 2 (which I never liked). 

Jonathon Majors is obviously the best part, he does the role well. 

They were definitely aiming for Star Wars theme, the “special guest” scene was very reminiscent of The Cantina scene

There were parts that were rubbish (Michelle Pfieffer) and I thought 

Spoiler

the ants conquering Kang (albeit briefly) was very weak. This is meant to be one of the most fearsome formidable people around and it was just so easy. 

Missed Luiz as well, he makes the Ant Man films 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I saw Antman Quantumania on Sunday. It’s ok, certainly not the worst in phase 4 and for me better than Antman 2 (which I never liked). 

Jonathon Majors is obviously the best part, he does the role well. 

They were definitely aiming for Star Wars theme, the “special guest” scene was very reminiscent of The Cantina scene

There were parts that were rubbish (Michelle Pfieffer) and I thought 

Hide contents

the ants conquering Kang (albeit briefly) was very weak. This is meant to be one of the most fearsome formidable people around and it was just so easy. 

Missed Luiz as well, he makes the Ant Man films 

Pretty much my thoughts and totally echo missing Luiz… 

• Like 1

Saw Ant-Man 3 last night.

Spoiler

Lack of Luiz was disappointing given what he brought to the first couple of movies.

Kang was great but I was getting so furstrated at all the characters attempts to avoid saying his name. Just say it. We know who it is.

Disappointed with the end fight seen as it just felt like Kang just lost all his powers at the end for no reason other than the film had to end.

Not enough time to develop the anti-authority / anti-facist elements to Cassie's character and the other creatures in the quantum realm.

Bill Murray's one scene was utterly contrived and ridiculous but was mercifully short because I **** hate Bill Murray.

The CGI on MODOK was utter trash. Like a college project level of bad.

Definitely a tonal shift for Ant-Man series to try and bring a bit of seriousness to it given the threat of Kang, but it didn't work for me. It made when the jokes feel out of place and didn't land.

IMO it's better than Ant-Man 2 because the villain was immesurably better, but not even close to Ant-Man. Jonathan Majors saved the film.

Also, I know she's getting on in years now, but Michelle Pfeifer...still would.

• Like 1

Michelle Pfeiffer has had so much surgery on her face she looks like unconvincing CGI. That whole culture of enhancements and surgery in Hollywood is IMO unhealthy and disturbing. I struggle to watch movies with stars all peeled and lifted. It's uncanny valley in real life.

• 2 weeks later...

JBs punisher more or less confirmed for daredevil born again

No doubt Disney will try but I'm not sure how you do a PG punisher so hopefully Disney finally make something a bit edgier (they wont) and more in line with Netflix excellent violent DD 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

JBs punisher more or less confirmed for daredevil born again

No doubt Disney will try but I'm not sure how you do a PG punisher so hopefully Disney finally make something a bit edgier (they wont) and more in line with Netflix excellent violent DD 

I can't remember specifically but some of the TV shows at least I remember being violent beyond what a Pg would allow for. As I say, I can't remember which ones though...maybe Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Moon Knight? 

4 hours ago, Rolta said:

I can't remember specifically but some of the TV shows at least I remember being violent beyond what a Pg would allow for. As I say, I can't remember which ones though...maybe Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Moon Knight? 

Moon Knight used the jumps and time lapses to cleverly show the aftermath and implied violence rather than the violence itself

DD and punisher were brutal in places

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/04/2023 at 15:08, Chindie said:

Looks decent, only criticism of the trailer is that showed Fury. With secret wars coming up, would’ve been nice if they’d allowed some suspension over whether he’d survive (yes it could be a skrull, but still think it works better if he wasn’t there)

The biggest issue with Secret Invasion is the point is it's meant to have a 'who's a Skrull?!' undercurrent, but I don't think the show can do that intrigue because it's chucked in a bunch of new characters.

It could be good. I don't think it will be anything particularly special. But it could be. But it won't be as good as the story could be.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, heffoman said:

Very mixed on this. Looks almost to much of a comedy.

It looks awful. 1st rule of Space is always,  don't know,  touch it.

I liked the way she stopped just before the glass at the start upside down in a place with no friction or gravity.  A Marvel in its self.

Who do they want to see this film,  this is going to bomb bad IMO.

The CGI and backdrops,  Red Dwarf Series 2 looked a lot better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It looks awful. 1st rule of Space is always,  don't know,  touch it.

I liked the way she stopped just before the glass at the start upside down in a place with no friction or gravity.  A Marvel in its self.

Who do they want to see this film,  this is going to bomb bad IMO.

The CGI and backdrops,  Red Dwarf Series 2 looked a lot better.

I agree I didnt really want to say it but it looks terrible. Sort of like a kids comedy.

• Like 2

Â