saturdaygig

Who would you rather watch play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather watch play?

• My Favourite Band
    • My Favourite Football Team

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think, even if I take the quality of live music out of it, the atmosphere is generally piss poor now.

I remember seeing Green Day as a teen, it was brilliant. This was around 2005. I didn't even own a phone at the time, everyone was just in to the music, I was exhausted and loved the whole show.

Now? It's a few thousand people watching the band through their phones.

I quite like the fact that some acts, as well as some comedians, don't allow phones in the gig/show. 

Should be expanded to cinemas as well!

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not keen on most live gigs - it's like listening to your favourite band with a paper bag over your ears, with a couple of thousand people you don't like, while looking at the back of someone's head. I'm happier at the football.

Go to smaller gigs. 

• Like 3

Of late, bands.

I quit football attendance 4 or 5 years ago.

Before 2011 I think I'd only been to one or two live gigs, since then I've been to over fifty.

Not in @Designer1's league but not too shabby considering I can't usually do weekdays.

Edited by rjw63
typo due to sausage fingers
  • Like 1

I've been to about 5 gigs/concerts in my entire life. Safe to say Live music isn't really something I'm bothered about.

So an easy choice for me, football team. As shit as that can be sometimes!

I can go to 4 or 5 gigs for the price of a match ticket, possibly more and get thoroughly entertained by a diverse variety of talent who pretty much always get it right, bad gigs are rare. Bad football performances however are pretty standard

I really don't get why football matches cost so much in this day and age. TV money makes matchday income a tiny fraction of overall income.

That really is why I no longer go to matches.

• Like 4

Sorry Villa, but it would have to be band, I've seen loads - most times New Model Army followed by Fields of the Nephilim, worst band and I've seen a tonne, Siouxsie and the Banshees at the Guildhall, Pompey sticks out as a proper stinker!

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I really don't get why football matches cost so much in this day and age. TV money makes matchday income a tiny fraction of overall income

I agree with this, more so a club like Man City. They would benefit much more from having a full stadium cheering the team on. The cost of reducing ticket prices would be nothing to them.

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I really don't get why football matches cost so much in this day and age. TV money makes matchday income a tiny fraction of overall income. 

Back when the Sky boom started, there were predictions that clubs would be able to let fans in to matches for nothing - essentially as 'film extras' to provide atmosphere for the global TV market, which would be where all the money came from. It hasn't happened, but paradoxically, that's good news for the non-league tiers. Think about it: your local shoestring club has no TV income, and very much does need the gate money. And a large proportion of their fans would probably really rather watch Premier League matches, but have been priced out of it, and settle for watching Local F.C. for a tenner. But if the choice was between Local F.C. for a tenner, and Aston Villa for nothing, you can imagine the result. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I can go to 4 or 5 gigs for the price of a match ticket, possibly more and get thoroughly entertained by a diverse variety of talent who pretty much always get it right, bad gigs are rare. Bad football performances however are pretty standard

I really don't get why football matches cost so much in this day and age. TV money makes matchday income a tiny fraction of overall income.

That really is why I no longer go to matches.

But you're comparing multiple artists with one football team. 

You can easily go lower leagues, or reserves, for next to nothing. 

Yeah, it might well cost £30 to go to a Premier League game. It cost me nearly treble that to see GnR. 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Of late, bands.

I quit football attendance 4 or 5 years ago.

Before 2011 I think I'd only been to one or two live gigs, since then I've been to over fifty.

Not in @Designer1's league but not too shabby considering I can't usually do weekdays.

Basically where I am. I've been to 3 games this season compared to about 15 last year. Doubt I'll go to another one this season. I've been to 10 gigs this year though with another 5 lined up by the end of April.

Cheaper, better atmosphere, and almost definitely not going to completely ruin my weekend the way a shit football performance can.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I only like one football team, I like many bands

Which wasn't the poll. 

The generalisation that followed, that football is more expensive than music, is also just not true. 

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Which wasn't the poll. 

The generalisation that followed, that football is more expensive than music, is also just not true. 

What has a poll that closed years ago to do with this, its a discussion

Football IS more expensive than music, doesn't matter what way you dress it up it is

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

What has a poll that closed years ago to do with this, its a discussion

Football IS more expensive than music, doesn't matter what way you dress it up it is

I've never once had to pay more than £60 for a ticket. This includes Villa, Cup Final, Milan Derby, England Internationals. 

I've paid far more than that to watch a band. This was the cheap seats too. 

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I've paid far more than that to watch a band. This was the cheap seats too. 

I never would. I don't go to venues over 2000 capacity, that's when gigs become shit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

lol ok

i'm not really sure why you find it amusing, Arena / Stadium shows are shit, I don't like them, they cease to be an intimate experience and your view of events is vastly restricted.

It's very much like watching a football game at the new Wembley (which I have done once, never again for that too)

• Like 4

Â