saturdaygig

Who would you rather watch play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather watch play?

• My Favourite Band
    • My Favourite Football Team

This poll is closed to new votes

• 12 years later...

I don’t have the money to watch corporate level giant stadia football just as I don’t have the money to see corporate level giant stadia bands.

Luckily, even if I had the money for that, I wouldn’t have the inclination.

I want their star striker to hear my artfully honed insult. I want to get a smile from the bass player.

So last week I stood with 299 others and watched Barry Town and this week I’ll be stood with 299 others wigging out to The Keys.

Total spend over 2 weekends, £23.

And that includes parking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t have the money to watch corporate level giant stadia football just as I don’t have the money to see corporate level giant stadia bands.

Luckily, even if I had the money for that, I wouldn’t have the inclination.

I want their star striker to hear my artfully honed insult. I want to get a smile from the bass player.

So last week I stood with 299 others and watched Barry Town and this week I’ll be stood with 299 others wigging out to The Keys.

Total spend over 2 weekends, £23.

And that includes parking.

There you are; best of both Worlds. !!

• Like 2

In my early 20s following on from the libs and strokes when there was a boom it was a band a week, the enemy, pigeon detectives, the twang etc for less than a tenner, failing that just the sunflower lounge to see who was on, barfly was a great venue for upcoming bands too

then it was a villa season ticket, then it was villa home and away, then Europe...then villa went shit, really shit

at the moment it’s neither

i would say bands but as I’m now older and like what I like rather than going to see someone with a bit of buzz around them gigs pain me half the time, proper old man mode when I see someone I’ve seen 10+ times charging north of £30 half the time I can’t be bothered, I think I’m more interested in day festivals and cramming bands in, shame the brum one last year with twang, coral, Marr and doves, which was something like £40 didn’t sell out so they had the best competition in history and gave every entrant a free ticket, absolutely pissed it down so still no one turned up and it was probably considered a failure

• Like 1

Yeah, seconded on the advantages of watching 'further down the ladder'. I have been to watch non-league football, and for every seventy quid Neil Young I go to, there are dozens of 'pass the hat' local gigs - a lot more fun in many ways, for the reasons Chrisp suggests. And playing open mic nights myself is like my current equivalent of playing parks football back in my 20s and 30s. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

In my early 20s following on from the libs and strokes when there was a boom it was a band a week, the enemy, pigeon detectives, the twang etc for less than a tenner, failing that just the sunflower lounge to see who was on, barfly was a great venue for upcoming bands too

then it was a villa season ticket, then it was villa home and away, then Europe...then villa went shit, really shit

at the moment it’s neither

i would say bands but as I’m now older and like what I like rather than going to see someone with a bit of buzz around them gigs pain me half the time, proper old man mode when I see someone I’ve seen 10+ times charging north of £30 half the time I can’t be bothered, I think I’m more interested in day festivals and cramming bands in, shame the brum one last year with twang, coral, Marr and doves, which was something like £40 didn’t sell out so they had the best competition in history and gave every entrant a free ticket, absolutely pissed it down so still no one turned up and it was probably considered a failure

Similar to me.

Absolutely caned Villa home and away back in my late teens. The last 7 or so years (ironically when we've started doing shit) I just lost interest. I will go to the odd home game a season and do enjoy it, but I've lost the spark.

Went to my first gig in 2011 - Arctic Monkeys so would have been 20 odd. Quite honestly blew me away, I can't express the feeling I had that night seeing one of my favourite bands perform music I'd casually listen to every day.  That kicked off my serious love for it and still to this day. (Saw Editors on Thursday night, my first gig this year).  

You can leave a gig happy... but not always a football match.

So in response to the dug up thread... right now it would have to be band over team. 😬

5 hours ago, veloman said:

There you are; best of both Worlds. !!

We had a Europa League qualifier round match against Cliftonville back in the summer.

They had a band in the clubhouse that basically just kept playing that song. We went in to town and a pub put it on repeat on their sound system. We went in a pub late after the game and there was a fiddle band in the corner, they played it.

But just the fact we were in their clubhouse, before and after the game, that ain’t happening for big team vs big team. Imagine Villa getting in to Europe and the other team finding you on twitter and dropping you a mesasage to say its free burgers in the clubhouse pre match.

Belfast: by an absolute country mile the friendliest place I have ever been, it was actually difficult to buy our own beer.

48208516002_4c58c6951f_w.jpg 48208293752_b7b6a85dec_w.jpg

48208257541_f9b96893b1_m.jpg 48208290802_6394b7a69e_m.jpg 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wow. That is the diametrical opposite of my view. 

I think, even if I take the quality of live music out of it, the atmosphere is generally piss poor now.

I remember seeing Green Day as a teen, it was brilliant. This was around 2005. I didn't even own a phone at the time, everyone was just in to the music, I was exhausted and loved the whole show.

Now? It's a few thousand people watching the band through their phones.

• Like 1

Â