saturdaygig

Who would you rather watch play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather watch play?

• My Favourite Band
    • My Favourite Football Team

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, bickster said:

i'm not really sure why you find it amusing, Arena / Stadium shows are shit, I don't like them, they cease to be an intimate experience and you 're view of events is vastly restricted.

It's very much like watching a football game at the new Wembley (which I have done once, never again for that too)

I just find it funny that you used yourself, and what you're willing to pay, as a reference point for cost. Or that there's a specific number in a venue that defines whether it's good or not. 

Each to their own. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

I never would. I don't go to venues over 2000 capacity, that's when gigs become shit

You said football IS more expensive than music and it doesn't matter which way you dress it up...

...which is obviously just entirely incorrect.

Don't go to either anymore really - last villa match I went to was about 9/10 years ago. I do like gigs, but I can't be buggered with the big ones. There might be one or two I'd make an exception for, but seeing small bands or bans in small venues is great fun. Last gig I went to was last summer and it was Flogging Molly, about 600 ( wild stab in the dark ) there and it's great. My favourite gig remains seeing Gogol Bordello an energetic band in the upstairs room of a pub in Bristol, 70 people crammed in, incredibly intense experience. Whilst the joy of seeing a villa winner is great, that short sharp euphoria doesn't hold a candle to a sustained hour or 90 minutes of a gig where everyone enjoys it the whole time, where people don't miserably call the people they're watching lazy words removed. 

music festivals are what I'd like to do more of again, like Green Man - a fun sized array of music and comedy etc, without the dickwittery of the reading/leeds crowd. I never have a clue who's playing, but like last summer, rocking up in front of a stage in the sun, get the deck chairs and the booze out and enjoy a proper eclectic vibe of everyone having a good time. :thumb:

I like what I like and I don't like much music, most music sounds shit to me.  I'd go see a Gallagher gig, and that's because at least I know I like it (I acknowledge this isn't the beacon of musical taste).  

I've been to events where there are open mics and organised bands on at beer festivals or other festivals - 90% of the time it's terrible.  Bad singing, rubbish songs and bad sound set ups which echo - blurgh.

I can go to a Prem game for £35+ or Halesowen Town for a tenner, I don't let results bother me too much and I obviously care more for Villa than I do Halesowen Town, but both are still fun. 

I don't really do either to be honest.  Rather spend my weekends with the kids whilst they are young, or use the money I'd spend on football or music to go away for weekends with friends or family holidays a few times a year.  

I'd like to be able to do everything, but I can't, so I prioritise.  Football and Music at my point in life ain't high on that list. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Or that there's a specific number in a venue that defines whether it's good or not. 

I didn't do that

Gig venues fall under the following categories

Local (>500)

Concert Hall (>2500)

Arena (>5,000)

Stadium (30,000 +)

They all have their own characteristics. I very rarely go to the later two categories because I don't like them

That's the way the industry organises itself, those are the stages in a bands development, they will progress from one level to the next in terms of venue size and maybe later go down in size again

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I never would. I don't go to venues over 2000 capacity, that's when gigs become shit

I think the point being made is that Premier League football is like arena shows and concerts. Both are very expensive.

Going to smaller venue gigs is like going to see your local non-league side play. Which is cheap.

Comparing small gigs with top level football matches isn't a very fair comparison.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

You said football IS more expensive than music and it doesn't matter which way you dress it up...

Ah but you could throw the sundries into the equation to make things more interesting; I could, say, buy a football shirt for the season; it'd probably cost £50 for just the top and the things are more often than not bobbins in terms of quality.

Give me £50 to drop at a gig, well that's multiple tees and a CD.  And I'm talking the niiiiiice tees, the Gildan softstyles that leave your nips warm and unchaffed.  

I have found myself placing increasing importance on nipple-chaffage as the years roll by.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Going to smaller venue gigs is like going to see your local non-league side play. Which is cheap.

It really isn't, the lower down the leagues you go, the lower standard of talent on offer. This is absolutely not true for music

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

It really isn't, the lower down the leagues you go, the lower standard of talent on offer. This is absolutely not true for music

Fair enough, but that's subjective. You might not like it but plenty of people would prefer to see the "talent" that sells out arenas than the talent that sells out a 300 person venue. Which I think was Kurt's point.

It's no different to me saying my favourite band is U2 but I wouldn't watch any football above non-league level. So music is more expensive.

Might be a useful experiment to approach my next lower league game attendance as if it were a gig, flesh out those cross-competencies.  You could turn up an hour before kick-off and walk around until you've found that acoustic sweet-spot where the tannoy announcements are crystal clear.  Between each break in the play you could shout your favourite formation at the bench in the hope that they'll change to it, then try and collar the manager afterwards for a copy of his team-sheet.  Maybe start chanting for an encore after full-time.

I can tell you this much; it is an unassailable fact that, be it gig or game, the toilets will be worse than Auschwitz.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough, but that's subjective. You might not like it but plenty of people would prefer to see the "talent" that sells out arenas than the talent that sells out a 300 person venue. Which I think was Kurt's point.

It's no different to me saying my favourite band is U2 but I wouldn't watch any football above non-league level. So music is more expensive.

And while the point of lower league football being worse is true, to an extent, then music has an even bigger black mark that higher ticket prices doesn't equate to better quality. 

I imagine if you went to the most expensive football teams, generally you'd get a very good standard of football. The same certainly can't be said about music as its entirely subjective. 

55 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Ah but you could throw the sundries into the equation to make things more interesting; I could, say, buy a football shirt for the season; it'd probably cost £50 for just the top and the things are more often than not bobbins in terms of quality.

Give me £50 to drop at a gig, well that's multiple tees and a CD.  And I'm talking the niiiiiice tees, the Gildan softstyles that leave your nips warm and unchaffed.  

I have found myself placing increasing importance on nipple-chaffage as the years roll by.

We have started buying merch at all the "smaller" gigs, it all helps the artist

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

We have started buying merch at all the "smaller" gigs, it all helps the artist

Example- Dinosaur Pile Up tickets were less that 15 quid, so we had enough to spend 40 quid on t-shirts

• Like 2

The older I get, the more important the ritual of football is for me. There literally isn’t a single live music act I can think of that I’d miss the most trivial home game for. 

I don’t mind live music, not at all, but it’s not important. Football, perhaps pathetically, very much is. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.d2cdde5df2cc6b8e06f1a299112b7426.jpeg

Big band small venue is equal fun to big team small ground.

Dynamo Kiev flying in their own water for a game at Jenner Park was funny. But not as funny as beating Porto 3:1 or me getting ‘reported’ because I told the Reading players I had put something in their breakfast to make the game a bit more even.

• Like 2

For me, definitely music over football, though I can understand people’s preference of football. 

I can see why people get fascinated by lower leagues and different teams, but I am a Villa fan rather than a football fan. If a game doesn’t effect Villa, I’m usually not that interested in it. don't get me wrong, I am a ST and will go to Wembley, but would I have gone seen the Carabao Cup final if it wasn’t Villa? No chance. I am however a sucker for Villa and will try and watch what I can. 

A gig though, I can spend anything between £5/10/40/100 on a ticket and most of the time I will love it. I don’t go thinking “they will suck”. Don’t get me wrong, there have been gigs that have been terrible (Manowar was the last one, and that was £100 ticket, utterly awful) but if I know I won’t enjoy it, chances are I won’t buy a ticket. Then usually there’s a couple of support acts and actually a chance to see someone new and possibly better than the main act (Møl is the last one I can recall, so much more engaging than Ghost Bath who they supported) and I feel I get even more value for money.  I always feel better in a gig and feel like I can buy a t shirt/CD/vinyl/tea towel (damn right!). Do I buy the replica shirt/program? Nah, once in a very, very blue moon have I bought a program. 

Definitely agree with @mjmooneyand @bickster though, the smaller the venue, the better the gig. @kurtsimonw I would really recommend trying somewhere smaller gig wise, it might surprise you. I wouldn’t bother about guns and roses or arena/stadium shows, particularly if you are only half interested it’s a complete waste of money.

But that’s me, and I know some agree with that and some don’t, and that’s cool, so long as you are doing what you like, what I think doesn’t really matter anyway :) 

• Like 4

I don't particularly like enough bands to go and pay. Green Day as a teen was fantastic, GnR were great. I can probably count on one hand the amount of bands one one hand, where'd I'd happily sit through a 20 song set list. 

A mate dragged me to one of those pre tour intimate things a few years ago, Reverand and the Makers in Cov. I would say maybe 500 people tops. I knew a few of their songs, but generally I didn't know much and it felt a bit flat. 

I actually enjoy none-Villa games more, I can take the emotion out of it. Even though I would say Milan are my second team, I went to the Derby (€30) and Inter scored a 92nd minute equaliser, but I could truly enjoy the game for what it was. I suppose for me I can appreciate football, even if I don't like a team I can enjoy watching them. I don't have that same appreciation for music, you can show me a great guitarist and I just don't "get it" for lack of a better phrase. 

• Like 1

Â