The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well of course the explanation will be that VAR saw nothing deemed worthy of referring to the Ref ( and rightly so in my view but that’s subjective). And the argument will run that before VAR the Ref wouldn’t have explained why he didn’t give certain decisions so why now ?

And that’s one of the issues with it. There IS a difference between a Ref making an instant decision, which we all agree or disagree with, and knowing that an incident has actually been specifically studied and assessed. Fans, Clubs, etc, WILL want to know why certain decisions were or weren’t taken further.

I can see arguments for saying “ Sorry, all we will ever do is refer or not, no explanations” because it’s quite a can of worms to go the alternative route of providing information after ( or during ?!) the game. I suspect there will be a lot of pressure for the latter though.

Most VAR reviews in other sports (Cricket, Rugby League, etc) play the audio of the people assessing the footage as it's being shown live. Not sure why football should be different.

The thing that puzzles me is what the VAR guys actually see. On TV we get the same angle played over and over again - often the angle that makes it hard to decide. Do the VAR guys see more than 1 angle? Do they show multiple angles to the on field ref?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Most VAR reviews in other sports (Cricket, Rugby League, etc) play the audio of the people assessing the footage as it's being shown live. Not sure why football should be different.

The thing that puzzles me is what the VAR guys actually see. On TV we get the same angle played over and over again - often the angle that makes it hard to decide. Do the VAR guys see more than 1 angle? Do they show multiple angles to the on field ref?

The VAR guys see whatever angle they want. 

Only when the ref goes over to his little tv and does a proper review on the screen do we see the angles he sees (I think)

Again the VAR guys don't make any decisions unless they are clear cut. Offsides for example. No discretion is needed, it's either onside or offside. For anything that requires discretion it is referred back to the referee to make the final call as far as I'm aware.

Agree that hearing the communication would be good although i don't think it would work as well as rugby etc. Because they actually have to cal lon the Video ref, then you can listen to the whole convo. But for VAR I think the communication would be frequent. There wouldn't really be a define period where they were talking.

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

They also believe they should have had 2 penalties. One on Jesus cant remember 2nd one

They should have got the penalty for the foul on Jesus.

It’s really grown on me, the way it was used in the English cup games was horrific but it hasn’t slowed the game down at all here or dampened any celebrations.

Will be really weird not having it in the premier league next year, every wrong decision is going to feel like a travesty of justice.

I think it's showing up, mostly, how many penalties aren't given in the game because refs "aren't sure".

I think it'll cause defenders to be more careful, especially on set pieces (although those seem to be the ones that are still slipping through the net)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's showing up, mostly, how many penalties aren't given in the game because refs "aren't sure".

I think it's reiterating just how spineless refs are. Now alot of that is the lack of support they get but refs are petrified to make any decision. They dont punish divers, they don't punish players shouting in their face, they see obvious fouls in the box that would be freekicks anywhere else on the pitch and don't give penalties, they don't punish time wasting, the list goes on. 

• Like 2

Another glaring miss by the VAR in the Germany-Sweden game. Add that to Argentina and Serbia who can feel hard done by, among many others.

If you are going to use technology, you have to apply it consistently. It's a lottery at the moment and becoming a farce.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Another glaring miss by the VAR in the Germany-Sweden game. Add that to Argentina and Serbia who can feel hard done by, among many others.

If you are going to use technology, you have to apply it consistently. It's a lottery at the moment and becoming a farce.

Yep, Sweden had a crystal clear pen against Germany even without VAR, ridiculous.

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Yep, Sweden had a crystal clear pen against Germany even without VAR, ridiculous.

It's an interesting one, I thought it was a penalty, what I think helps the referee out somewhat is the 'clear and obvious' thing. 

Was it clear and obvious? Not really, it's split opinion with pundits, experts and fans. Personally, I can't see how it can't be a penalty, it's a foul in the box, no contact with the ball. 

I think the Kane and the Mitrovic penalty claims were a lot stronger. In fact absolute criminal misjustice in both incidents. I dunno whether you've seen it, but there's a picture going around the internnet of the VAR studio and someone has photoshopped mucky pictures on the TV screens. It made me laugh, it's a fairly accurate depiction since they can't have been watching the game. 

What is clear to me though is that Sweden can feel very hard done by. Another referee could have easily given a penalty without referencing VAR.

said it before I don't trust FIFA with this technology.

are they going to change a decision from the ref that probably sends out the reigning world champions and one of the biggest nations in football?

Of course not.

The ref should have called the pen anyway but refs and players make mistakes, it's part of the game.

edit. OK so apparently since the ref didn't wan't to review the incident then VAR isn't allowed to inform him that it was a penalty.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

There are 2 many wrong decisions going on. Mitrovic not getting a penalty the other day when he was double teamed and 2 tonight in the Portugal v Iran that were given that weren't!

1 minute ago, Xela said:

There are 2 many wrong decisions going on. Mitrovic not getting a penalty the other day when he was double teamed and 2 tonight in the Portugal v Iran that were given that weren't!

These wrong decisions would still be wrong though. That mitrovic one wouldn't have been given without VAR.

Bet the ref's are loving it thou.

Loads of them seem to love being the center of attention and this makes them so.

They don't even have the pressure of making the right calls anymore.

My opinion on VAR has flipped after seeing how it has been implemented. I think it has been a good thing and hopefully some elements of the game (shirt pulling in the box during set pieces especially) will start to be called more but that hasn't been the case since the Croatia/Nigeria game (iirc). 

The main problem that will likely never be solved is that every ref will have a different view of the same incident. Also think that going to VAR so far is a guarantee for the decision to be changed (don't remember a call that stayed the same after a review). 

Â