The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

VAR shouldn't even be needed there on that Coady dive. Should never have even been given as a pen in the first place.

The fact that took so long and the referee had to go to the monitor was a joke.

Also how has Coady not gotten a yellow for simulation? Seems like some rules they can just ignore and others are stringently enforced regardless of the context.

I think it's because yellows can't be given for VAR decisions. If that's indeed the rule then I doubt we will see many yellows given for diving anymore, since they can't be given "retrospectively", and the ref won't give a yellow for simulation only to be potentially red-faced after VAR shows it's actually a pen.

Id love to think this was the changing point with VAR, that common sense was going to be integrated from now on, but I cant hope but notice where this game is being played; They have made sure to get the right people in the van today.

8 minutes ago, penguin said:

The fact that took so long and the referee had to go to the monitor was a joke.

Also how has Coady not gotten a yellow for simulation? Seems like some rules they can just ignore and others are stringently enforced regardless of the context.

they dont book players for diving, its shocking. If the Watkins incident is anything they go by then they dont even look at other things except the incident

Also starting to think that the monitor bollocks is just to save face. The decision is still made at Stockley Park but it looks like the on field ref has control. Yet to see the ref look at the monitor on advise from VAR and make a different decision 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also starting to think that the monitor bollocks is just to save face. The decision is still made at Stockley Park but it looks like the on field ref has control. Yet to see the ref look at the monitor on advise from VAR and make a different decision 

I think i read that only one decision has been overturned from checking the monitor this season

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think i read that only one decision has been overturned from checking the monitor this season

Yep, I’ve posted that in here earlier. Was actually quite an obvious one to overturn but the ref still disagreed 🤣

How can VAR send off Pereira and not even have a second look at Harry Kane? This is the third time he’s done this this season and not once has it been checked. This is 1000x more dangerous and could seriously injure someone. 

5 minutes ago, a-k said:

How can VAR send off Pereira and not even have a second look at Harry Kane? This is the third time he’s done this this season and not once has it been checked. This is 1000x more dangerous and could seriously injure someone. 

Yeah should be a red card offense no questions asked. It's more dangerous than a 2-footer, or kicking out at an opponent.

8 minutes ago, a-k said:

Posted this in the other thread. It's really disgusting. He will end up really hurting someone. Refs are cowards. Media are cowards. Imagine if Kane wasn't English.

Not a criticism of VAR, but during the Spurs Arsenal game, Lo Celso almost got a second yellow for a foul outside the box on Lacazette right before half time. It was basically a carbon copy of the March non-foul on Trezeguet in the box against Brighton. He toe-poked the ball, but he then caught the player on the shin. Like I said at the time, outside the box, 9 times out of 10 that's a foul. But for whatever reason, in the box, all of a sudden the "got the ball" fallacy comes into effect. Lo Celso actually got a good chunk of the ball too as opposed to March who only grazed it after a mis-kick.

https://i.imgur.com/zVmL2WZ.mp4

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

With regards to Kane backing in a savvy defender would jump with his knees out and take him out if he does not jump. 

Except that defender would probably get booked for dangerous play due to a VAR call. 

Â