Premier league relegation watch 2017/18

VillaChris

Massive achievement by Wagner and his players keeping Huddersfield in the PL.

Can't say I enjoyed watching them play or that they added anything to the league. 

But they have a shoestring budget and are probably spending half on wages compared to what we do in the Championship.

Top job!

Can't fault the Terriers. Getting away points at City and Chelsea under pressure is impressive. Damp squib of a final day to come but they can't always be dramatic. Swansea deserved to drop based on last few games. 

Just on plop v chelski for top 4. Oh the agony of choice

6 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

He'll be somewhere else next season for sure.

I was thinking about that.  On one hand you'd assume they'll go down faster than Jordan next season, because they've been figured out and there'll be no honeymoon or surprises left.  But on the other hand I don't see him as the kind of person who will jump ship.  When we were sniffing around him pre-Bruce, he said he'd stay there until the project was seen through.  I guess it just depends now what the full project is.  I think he gives it another season.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

would be even more happier for them if Wagner didnt come across as a rocket polisher at times

I can't remember him ever coming across as that tbh.

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

I was thinking about that.  On one hand you'd assume they'll go down faster than Jordan next season, because they've been figured out and there'll be no honeymoon or surprises left.  But on the other hand I don't see him as the kind of person who will jump ship.  When we were sniffing around him pre-Bruce, he said he'd stay there until the project was seen through.  I guess it just depends now what the full project is.  I think he gives it another season.

I think they would have a decent chance of staying up if he stayed there personally but if the likes of Everton or Leicester come calling I would be surprised if he turned them down.

You get the impression that like Poch at Southampton this is his stepping stone to bigger things.

Edited by AVFCDAN

6 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think they would have a decent chance of staying up if he stayed there personally but if the likes of Everton or Leicester come calling I would be surprised if he turned them down.

They certainly have 'A' chance if he stays, and none if he doesn't.  But we can't ignore that they got the majority of points won early on last season and a significant element of that will have been down to the surprise factor.  Staying up a second season is notoriously more difficult.  But hey, I love Wagner and I hope they can do it.  I just can't see it in a month of Sundays.  I think them and Cardiff are absolute certs for the drop next season.

EDIT : Sorry, on your other point, I can absolutely see him turning down Leicester City.  Everton would be a different kettle of fish, but I can't see them getting rid of Allardici in the first place.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

They certainly have 'A' chance if he stays, and none if he doesn't.  But we can't ignore that they got the majority of points won early on last season and a significant element of that will have been down to the surprise factor.  Staying up a second season is notoriously more difficult.  But hey, I love Wagner and I hope they can do it.  I just can't see it in a month of Sundays.  I think them and Cardiff are absolute certs for the drop next season.

EDIT : Sorry, on your other point, I can absolutely see him turning down Leicester City.  Everton would be a different kettle of fish, but I can't see them getting rid of Allardici in the first place.

We can only guess at which clubs would be more attractive to him I guess. My real meaning was if a "mid-tier" team came calling his head may well be turned. Who is actually a mid-tier team these days I really don't know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Everton would be a different kettle of fish, but I can't see them getting rid of Allardici in the first place.

Really? Not even after they commissioned a poll of fans, seemingly specifically to dunk on him in the most humiliating way possible?

• Like 1

The problem with Allardyce is that the grass is always going to be greener. 

With him you get premier league security, a relatable English manager and players who will have to give 100% every week to be in the team. What you wont get is forward thinking attractive football.

Chairmen often end up looking quite silly after dumping him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Really? Not even after they commissioned a poll of fans, seemingly specifically to dunk on him in the most humiliating way possible?

They didn't really though.  It was mis-reported by the press (shock horror).  It was a top to bottom club survey about everything to do with the club and the season.  He was one part of that and the press jumped on it.  Maybe it was a slip-up on the club's part in hindsight because of the furore, but it certainly wasn't the targetted attack that the press made it out to be.

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

The problem with Allardyce is that the grass is always going to be greener. 

With him you get premier league security, a relatable English manager and players who will have to give 100% every week to be in the team. What you wont get is forward thinking attractive football.

Chairmen often end up looking quite silly after dumping him.

Everton finished 5th under Martinez in 13/14 and 6th under Koeman in 16/17.

This idea Everton should be happy just to scrape into the top half after spending 100m + is a bit baffling to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BOF said:

They didn't really though.  It was mis-reported by the press (shock horror).  It was a top to bottom club survey about everything to do with the club and the season.  He was one part of that and the press jumped on it.  Maybe it was a slip-up on the club's part in hindsight because of the furore, but it certainly wasn't the targetted attack that the press made it out to be.

I just don't actually believe that no-one at Everton thought 'oh hang on, maybe first team manager isn't just another job like catering supervisor'. It was deliberate. 

Â