Premier league relegation watch 2017/18

VillaChris

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Just realised that the three clubs that went up last season are in danger of going down. Huddersfield are in 19th. Newcastle sit 1 point above relegation, and Brighton are 3 points above. 

What is concerning is how Newcastle stormed the championship and are struggling in the premier league. 

How high did you really think they'd finish?

Newcastle haven't been great but they've rarely been in the bottom 3, same for Brighton. Huddersfield for first time this season are now in it after terrible run of form.

I'd say for middle of Feb that's quite good going. 

On 2/4/2018 at 07:53, VillaChris said:

He needs to go somewhere like Everton, do well there and then maybe he'd be a contender like Moyes was.

Nope. I really disagree with this.

He needs to go coach at champs league club. Wherever that may be. Everton would prob be a death sentence (they are not a Tottenham pre Poch) as the big english clubs are far to stuck up themselves for some reason.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Thankfully this is where having an owner like Tony will be as much a help to us as having an owner like Ashley has been a hindrance to the Mags.

If we’re in that position, of course.

Ashley vs Tony

Benitez vs Bruce

hmmm...

52 minutes ago, villakram said:

Nope. I really disagree with this.

He needs to go coach at champs league club. Wherever that may be. Everton would prob be a death sentence (they are not a Tottenham pre Poch) as the big english clubs are far to stuck up themselves for some reason.

Which English champions league clubs will give him that chance?

Abramovich doesn't rate British managers hence none of them have been appointed in his 15 years owning Chelsea, Arsenal will continue the foreign route post Wenger, Man. United got burnt with Moyes.

Maybe Spurs and Liverpool could be options but I wouldn't be sure on either.

Way I see it he needs to go to a medium sized club and overachieve by winning a cup or two.

Would Unai Emery have got the PSG job without winning multiple Uefa cups at Sevilla? I doubt it. Many clubs appoint a flavour of the month manager. AVB winning the Europa got him the Chelsea job which looks ridiculous now given his lack of top level experience at the time.

It's hard to ignore trophy winning managers. Redknapp got the Spurs job six months after winning the FA cup at Pompey.

One of the few aspects of his management I dislike is season in season out Bournemouth putting out weak teams in the FA cup.

• Like 2

I think with his style he'd do well in the Bundesliga. Pretty much all the teams there play high press so there's little difference between them below Bayern.

Leipzig would actually be a good club for him when Hasselhutti moves on. They signed Lookman on loan from Everton the other day and had Burke last season so he could work with British players.

Language barrier wouldn't be as bad as working in Spain or Italy either.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think with his style he'd do well in the Bundesliga. Pretty much all the teams there play high press so there's little difference between them below Bayern.

Leipzig would actually be a good club for him when Hasselhutti moves on. They signed Lookman on loan from Everton the other day and had Burke last season so he could work with British players.

Language barrier wouldn't be as bad as working in Spain or Italy either.

Yup, France/Holland/Germany/Portugal all have very accessible routes to CL qualification. You either win a trophy or you show you can hack it in the champs league. Then you'll be considered, e.g., Sari who hasn't won a thing but is flavor of the month due to his work at Napoli (a little Rodgers-esque thus far). I'm very interested in where Rodgers ends up now that he's shown he's not completely useless and can get performances in the CL.

7 hours ago, villakram said:

Yup, France/Holland/Germany/Portugal all have very accessible routes to CL qualification. You either win a trophy or you show you can hack it in the champs league. Then you'll be considered, e.g., Sari who hasn't won a thing but is flavor of the month due to his work at Napoli (a little Rodgers-esque thus far). I'm very interested in where Rodgers ends up now that he's shown he's not completely useless and can get performances in the CL.

Well since his replacement at Liverpool is doing a worse job under a bigger budget would indicate Rodgers wasnt that bad ;)

• Like 1

If the Baggies or Huddersfield are going to get themselves out of it they have to get some points on the board now in the next 3-4 weeks. West Ham could do with getting the job done early too. They've got tough run-ins. Palace in contrast have a tough run now and and easier looking run in so it could well go down to the wire with them. Newcastle, Brighton, Stoke - they all have a tough looking fixture list to me. Still it's so close there are 6 pointers everywhere. Swansea are proving anything's possible too. West Brom and Stoke look doomed to me at this point though. Brighton and Huddersfield are finding goals hard to come by it's hard not to imagine a scenario where they could both end up right in the mix. Newcastle could easily slip into it all.

I reckon West Brom, Stoke and one of the promoted teams would be my shout right now.

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

How high did you really think they'd finish?

Newcastle haven't been great but they've rarely been in the bottom 3, same for Brighton. Huddersfield for first time this season are now in it after terrible run of form.

I'd say for middle of Feb that's quite good going. 

Typically the championship team that finishes first tends to stay in the premier league. I remember reading the statistics behind it around september, but if you finish first in the championship, statistically you are likely to stay in the premier league. 2nd place is close to a 50/50 chance of staying up. If you get promoted via playoffs, you are almost guaranteed relegation. 

6 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Typically the championship team that finishes first tends to stay in the premier league. I remember reading the statistics behind it around september, but if you finish first in the championship, statistically you are likely to stay in the premier league. 2nd place is close to a 50/50 chance of staying up. If you get promoted via playoffs, you are almost guaranteed relegation. 

The reality though is pretty much every promoted team finishes in the bottom half first season up.

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Baggies are in the shit. Hope they go down. Their fans have been pretty unbearable during our struggles. Stoke may also struggle, and the third team could be one of about 7! 

Love to see Baggies and Stoke drop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Realitiscally if we dont go up who do we want to come down that would make it a bit easier for us to go up? Obviously WBA. But who else. As much as I hate Stoke I think they have a decent squad and financially are sound so they would be  a big threat, same with West Ham. I think Huddersfield and either Southampton/Swansea 

Â