Premier league relegation watch 2017/18

VillaChris

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

West Brom have a pretty old squad so think they're more likely to do a hull.

Think Southampton would bounce back if they pick the right manager so Huddersfield back down would be better.

Huddersfield do not have  a great squad to be honest just a very good manager who will likely move on if they went down 

Huddersfield overachieved a lot to get promoted last time.

Back down here I'd think they'd struggle to raise themselves again (historically they battle more against relegation from this league) and yes Wagner would probably go.

Southampton have a premier league squad, but they have let themselves down this season. I don't want them in the championship. I'd only hope their squad would get sold. 

West Brom aren't going to be causing much of a fuss down here. 

Probably same goes for Stoke. They have a few good players, but they will likely be sold. 

I'd rather see Huddersfield come back down. 

Huddersfield are used to it down here and wouldn't see much changing so I'd not fancy them (though if Wagner gets poached that would help).  Much better for me to have a previously established side with expensive players having to take a big pay cut / leave - as we've seen makes it much harder to perform as a team.  Southampton are pretty well run so might not have the turmoil of others.  West Ham, Palace, Swansea, Stoke - all would struggle I reckon.  Though I doubt anyone would do a Sunderland, I could see all those taking a couple of seasons like us.

Stoke may struggle as they have been a premier league side for so long, and having lambert dont help either

Wagner will be off for better things if they go down. I think we could poach him if we went up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Few interesting results today. 

It will most likely be the current bottom three but the Swansea games against Southampton and Stoke are massive.

Huddersfield could well be drawn into this. Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal left. They’ll be hoping those Swansea games play out to their benefit.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep, the standard is getting worse. I think it peaked around the time of the millennium tbh.

Wolves are better than the bottom five clubs. The standard in the championship is getting better. The feeling that premier league to championship is a much higher standard is a myth

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves are better than the bottom five clubs. The standard in the championship is getting better. The feeling that premier league to championship is a much higher standard is a myth

Wolves are an anomaly who have been able to leverage a highly suspect relationship that they have with Jorge Mendes, this is very much an exception to the rule rather than a paradigm shift or even a blueprint for other Championship clubs. The rest of the Championship is pretty much utter shite.

TBH top flight football across the board is in a bad state, it's not only the premier league that has declined, look at La Liga, it's in it's worst state in many years. Then you have Serie A, a league which was by far the worlds best from 1980-1997 degenerating into a bit of a farce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wolves are an anomaly who have been able to leverage a highly suspect relationship that they have with Jorge Mendes, this is very much an exception to the rule rather than a paradigm shift or even a blueprint for other Championship clubs. The rest of the Championship is pretty much utter shite.

TBH top flight football across the board is in a bad state, it's not only the premier league that has declined, look at La Liga, it's in it's worst state in many years. Then you have Serie A, a league which was by far the worlds best from 1980-1997 degenerating into a bit of a farce.

It's money and more specifically the hoarding of the money by the most succesful clubs. Their lobby power becomes so powerful that they can then write the rules to suit themselves - see FFP.

Fulham are a better footballing side than a fair few in the prem, the interesting thing is do they go up buy better quality players but keep their style or abondon their style in the aim of just staying up

Theres been a fair few championship teams who have done the latter

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep, the standard is getting worse. I think it peaked around the time of the millennium tbh.

Strongest around 2005-10.

Arsenal, Man. United, Chelsea and Liverpool all reached Champions league finals around that time.

Of course that was when we came into the money and were challenging for top 4.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bundesliga has declined aswell. Obviously Bayern are in a league of their own nowadays but the actual quality of football from likes of Dortmund, Schalke and Leipzig has been really poor.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Fulham are a better footballing side than a fair few in the prem, the interesting thing is do they go up buy better quality players but keep their style or abondon their style in the aim of just staying up

Theres been a fair few championship teams who have done the latter

If they keep likes of Sessegnon they'd stay up comfortably imo.

Don't underestimate a team who's won nearly 30 games during a season coming up either, got the winning spirit compared to teams like West Ham, Stoke, West Brom who lose more than they win and so get complacent and start slipping down the table.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I can't work out what I want here with this Palace vs Stoke game.

I want Tesco's, Stoke & Wet Spam relegated so does Stoke drawing put pressure on the Hammers?

I think Stoke are probably already down, so I guess a win for them would make them sweat a bit. 

I personally think it’s between Southampton, Swansea and Huddersfield. If Southampton win today, I think they’ll get out of it.

Â