Red Dead Redemption 2

hogso

Must say im getting frustrated with constant bounties and being hijacked travelling to missions.   How are you supposed to build up cash reserves when you lose a percentage everytime you die?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'm really struggling with this. Keep going through doors and accidentally bumping into people, which leads to a fight, which leads to the law being onto me, which leads to me dying. 

I haven't got the patience to play this game at the pace it wants you to. It's kinda dull. 

I'm about 12 hours in, and feeling much the same. I keep picking it up for an hour or so, and deciding it's just not very fun. 

It's a decent set of controls and a revamp to the pacing away from being absolutely brilliant, but as it is, I'm just not interested in finishing it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dubbs said:

Must say im getting frustrated with constant bounties and being hijacked travelling to missions.   How are you supposed to build up cash reserves when you lose a percentage everytime you die?

Yeah the bounty thing is annoying. Can't seem to go anywhere without having to pay off a bounty, and quite often someone will spot me before I manage to even get to a post office, then a fight breaks out and the cycle continuous. It is frustrating.

I've barely had any issue with bounties either. I accidentally got one when in a rush in Saint Denis running to the trapper, and one when I accidentally choked a guy when seeing if I could sit on a bench.

The biggest issue I've run into so far has been the dueling mechanic. It's crap. I've lost every single one I've run into at least a couple of times. Not helped by the fact the game actually gives you the tutorial for dueling while a duel is happening, via a set of instructions in the top left. So you lose while trying to read what to actually do.

21 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah the bounty thing is annoying. Can't seem to go anywhere without having to pay off a bounty, and quite often someone will spot me before I manage to even get to a post office, then a fight breaks out and the cycle continuous. It is frustrating.

Similar thing is always an annoyance in the farcry games. Try going anywhere on foot/road and you constantly run into enemies who instantly recognise you or animals that just attack you. At least with farcry you have the option of fast travel everywhere once you have opened up a bit of the game to skip most of the annoyances.

One of the weird things in games they can never get right, places occupied by hundreds/thousands of people and you are instantly spotted & recognised even if you completely change your appearance, even more stupid in wild west times when there is incredibly limited means of communication and realistically the chance of anyone knowing what you have done is slim at best

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Starting to get into this game a bit more now. Made it onto chapter 3. How do you play the game? Currently i'm just doing the "yellow" story lines as I want to get through the main campaign first and then do the rest.

Really cba to do any hunting or crafting or any of that. Hoping I can get through the game without needing to do any of it. 

One thing that keeps bringing me back to this game is just how wonderful it looks. Best looking game this gen by a million miles.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Starting to get into this game a bit more now. Made it onto chapter 3. How do you play the game? Currently i'm just doing the "yellow" story lines as I want to get through the main campaign first and then do the rest.

Really cba to do any hunting or crafting or any of that. Hoping I can get through the game without needing to do any of it. 

One thing that keeps bringing me back to this game is just how wonderful it looks. Best looking game this gen by a million miles.

I just keep doing the missions, as well as the bounties and stranger quests. I've barely done any crafting/hunting/fishing or anything like that and I haven't done too much exploring either. I do feel like I'm missing out on a large part of the game to be honest.

I know someone who has completed it after 5 days. I can't help but think they must have missed so much.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I assume once the main story is over, you can still go back and do all the side missions? 

You can't.

Side missions disappear permanently from the map based on all sorts of in-game triggers. The most common trigger is moving from one chapter to another. Now I am only on chapter 3 right now, but each chapter change thus far has come with the camp moving. If a side mission was designed to leave from the Valentine camp then it will disappear when you move on from there. Though that isn't the only thing that can cause side missions and objectives to vanish. Certain main missions may anger a rival faction enough that a side mission with a person in that faction disappears. The same is true for hunting, fishing and home invasion side activities though for a different reason. Time only really advances by doing a main mission, so provided you don't do a main mission the activities will stay there, but doing a main mission may mean that Javier went fishing by himself so the fishing activity goes away. 

Now if it's any consolation I don't think the side missions are required to get a 100% completion. 

• Like 1

I am playing pretty slowly. I only get maybe an hour or two a day to play. I try to do a story mission every time I get to play, and a couple of random side missions as well. Most of the time, I get side tracked and just end up exploring. There is still a ton I want to do.

I see screenshots of people with really cool looking gear, and I know I have to dedicate some time to get those pelts. I did go find that hidden horse with great speed. That took a while. Finding the thing, and then having to tame it took me an hour. 

10 hours ago, PieFacE said:

How do you play the game? Currently i'm just doing the "yellow" story lines as I want to get through the main campaign first and then do the rest.

I'm trying to play to its strengths, I do a bit of everything. The story and missions are alright, but not great, lots of the same old stuff and I find just hammering the main missions gets a little repetitive. But a session of doing a couple of missions, then riding my horse out in to the wilds for a bit and seeing what's over that hill way over in the distance, and maybe tracking any interesting animals I see on the way, and helping the odd stranger keeps things varied enough to keep me interested.

My issue with open world games is that I usually get bored before finishing the story, so really trying to get the story done.

I didn't complete RDR1, Fallout 4, Horizon or Tomb Raider. Enjoyed them all though. Determined to finish this one.

Only 10% of the player base beat RDR1 back in the day. I imagine even less than 10% will beat RDR2. The way the game has been designed is such that I am sure Rockstar are thankful if people complete the game, but I feel they just wanted to create a world that kept players invested for 100+ hours. At the rate I am progressing I won't have the story finished by the time Red Dead: Online launches in a week or two. 

Don’t bother trying to canoe across flat iron lake. You get nine tenths of the way there and then your boat sinks and you drown. 

Guess I should have actually looked at the map to see if the other side of the lake was actually within the limits of the game :blink:

Â