The Apple Thread

Stevo985

On 05/11/2018 at 12:24, limpid said:

Cool. You can get backup apps for Android which do the same. I don't use one as I'm happy with the default experience (which is reinstalling rather than recovering). I factory reset my phone every 3 months or so and I don't find it as annoying as waiting for a number port :) I also change my phone a lot more often than most people. 

What's the difference between Apple Cloud and Google Drive?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The Google one gives more space for free, if you need loads of storage. The apple one is best for apple users in terms of being integrated and sort of invisible to the user that it's the cloud, or having to work out where back ups are. Google is better for androids phones (in my limited experience). The microsoft one is decent, too. Depends what you want to use them for.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Google Drive is available to people using Windows, MacOS, Linux, ChromeOS, Android and IOS. iCloud is available from Apple products only. This means if you store everything in Google Drive, you can use any phone and the pain of changing platform is minimised. Apple endeavour to lock you into their ecosystem. Google don't.

Google Drive is integrated with Google's extended G Suite of Apps so provides a seamless user experience for all of those. e.g. You can create map layers and store / share them as a file in your drive. Photo storage (up to16MP) is infinite. Storage of Google format files is infinite. You can upload 50,000 music tracks in the basic offering.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Google Drive is available to people using Windows, MacOS, Linux, ChromeOS, Android and IOS. iCloud is available from Apple products only. This means if you store everything in Google Drive, you can use any phone and the pain of changing platform is minimised. Apple endeavour to lock you into their ecosystem. Google don't.

Google Drive is integrated with Google's extended G Suite of Apps so provides a seamless user experience for all of those. e.g. You can create map layers and store / share them as a file in your drive. Photo storage (up to16MP) is infinite. Storage of Google format files is infinite. You can upload 50,000 music tracks in the basic offering.

iCloud can be used from any device - Microsoft PCs, android phones whatever - I've done it. You just need a free iTunes or apple account log-in. Available to do from PCs androids etc. But you're right they're designed for seamless apple device working/use. iCloud is pretty decent on a PC, though much better on a mac. it's not much cop on an android as you have to do it via the web browser. Ditto on Linux.

Google music is monumentally slow in uploading from a mac. Dunno what it's like from PC/Android. iTunes has its flaws, but it's miles more capable than google music, unless you want to just stream/use the cloud. I don't like (for my purposes) apple music free or subscription streaming (or any of the others).

If using a mac, the iCloud solution is (IMO) best suited to the way most people would want stuff to be integrated. If not on a mac/iPhone/iPad then the others are likely better suited.

9 hours ago, Risso said:

Got Apple CarPlay installed in the car today.  Works brilliantly, and has solved all my JLR woes.

It works flawlessly in mine too. I never got on with the android equivalent. Don't know if it varies from phone to phone but it never really worked for me.

I still barely use Apple CarPlay though. I should try it more.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It works flawlessly in mine too. I never got on with the android equivalent. Don't know if it varies from phone to phone but it never really worked for me.

I still barely use Apple CarPlay though. I should try it more.

I suppose it depends on what you are driving and what the proprietary system is like. The 'updated' JLR media player system is a pile of poo, and so Apple CarPlay is a massive upgrade.  It works perfectly.  It's quick, (seemingly) bug free and very user friendly.  Everything that the JLR system isn't.  I don't know what the Android system is like in comparison, only that I think there are a lot more apps you can use, where the Apple system has tied it down to a few must haves, such as music, podcasts, Google maps etc.  What I particularly like is that if you use the CarPlay nav system with Google maps, you can have the satellite maps as a background.  From looking it, it seems that CarPlay is available with loads of manufacturers, so if it's possible to have it installed as a software upgrade, I really recommend doing so.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Charging $1000 for a monitor stand. 

The audience reaction, a groan, was apparently so bad for Apple that they've gone around making copyright claims on videos of the reaction to it (but not other videos of their conference).

Actually, sorry. Not $1000. 'Nine ninety-nine' as they put it. I look forward to people handing over a tenner.

Also if that's too much for you, they'll let you buy a VESA mount for $200.

Ludicrous.

• 3 months later...

After a bit of a false start I've transitioned back to iPhone from Android. My mobile ownership has gone from Android as far back as I can remember to iPhone 6s about 3 years ago. Then Note 9 before feeling I needed to go back to iPhone.

I got an iPhone Xr following the recent price drop and 10% ebay code (I bought from Argos eBay shop and collected in store).

I thought the lack of finger print scanner was going to be a problem as the face ID on the note 9 was a bit fussy. On the iPhone its like the phone is always unlocked as it seems to rapidly register from the slightest of glances.

It's like slipping on an old set of trainers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

After a bit of a false start I've transitioned back to iPhone from Android. My mobile ownership has gone from Android as far back as I can remember to iPhone 6s about 3 years ago. Then Note 9 before feeling I needed to go back to iPhone.

I got an iPhone Xr following the recent price drop and 10% ebay code (I bought from Argos eBay shop and collected in store).

I thought the lack of finger print scanner was going to be a problem as the face ID on the note 9 was a bit fussy. On the iPhone its like the phone is always unlocked as it seems to rapidly register from the slightest of glances.

It's like slipping on an old set of trainers.

Wasn't a fan of the Note 9 then mate? I've been considering one and they're a bit cheaper now then 10 is out. 

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Wasn't a fan of the Note 9 then mate? I've been considering one and they're a bit cheaper now then 10 is out. 

On paper it ticks all the boxes and gets rave reviews. Things I didn't like:

It felt just a bit too big, and bulky, and square. The XR isn't that much smaller but feels much better. Thinner, smoothed off corners.

The face unlock is nowhere near as good as apple, so you have to pick the phone up and touch the finger print scanner on the back.

Note 9 also doesn't feel like a top end premium handset, it felt plasticy and cheap(er). iPhone feels like a quality bit of kit.

For all the customisation and plethora of functions on Android so many of them are gimmicky and not really needed in the real world.

If you're happy with Apple I'd stick with it. I thought I needed a change but I was wrong.

I'll miss the battery life from the Note 9 but I still think I'll get a full day out of the Xr without too much bother.

If you're still in the market for a Note 9 I can sell you one at a great price :D

Edited by Genie

• 2 weeks later...

OS Catalina then?

In their efforts to create an operating system for the future, Apple have managed to make one that isn't compatible with the present.

I can't see any advantages to it - my mac sometimes boots up without its dock and I have to restart, some of my older apps are dead and I can't watch the rugby because no one told ITV their technology was obsolete.

Windows Vista II?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

OS Catalina then?

In their efforts to create an operating system for the future, Apple have managed to make one that isn't compatible with the present.

I can't see any advantages to it - my mac sometimes boots up without its dock and I have to restart, some of my older apps are dead and I can't watch the rugby because no one told ITV their technology was obsolete.

Windows Vista II?

New development this time around. Received warnings in pop up windows that installing Catalina will nobble a large chunk my of audio software.

After one update killed some not free audio software, didn't bother with them unless there's a security issue? Skipped more versions than I've installed over a decade and a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

New development this time around. Received warnings in pop up windows that installing Catalina will nobble a large chunk my of audio software.

After one update killed some not free audio software, didn't bother with them unless there's a security issue? Skipped more versions than I've installed over a decade and a bit.

You should assume all OS updates include security updates, regardless of platform.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

You should assume all OS updates include security updates, regardless of platform.

Security is still updated on recent versions. Most likely I'll stick with Mojave until that support is coming to an end, or functionality becomes a problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xann said:

Security is still updated on recent versions. Most likely I'll stick with Mojave until that support is coming to an end, or functionality becomes a problem.

I found Mojave unusable with external disks - where I keep my TV recordings for travel. Something called iconservicesagent kept eating all the memory up and slowing it down to a complete stop. Went back to High Sierra - no issues. Tried Catalina the other day and that had fixed it, but as OBE says, they've binned off a load of stuff - the EyeTV recorder doesn't work on it any more, and all the little scripts I had for making iTunes so much better don't work with the Music app that replaced iTunes, so back to High Sierra again.

I can't be arsed trying to work out how to fettle the scripts to work and until the EyeTV thing gets updated to 64 bit, I'll stick with what I've got, I think.

I've got another, really old Mac from 2009 that still runs Yosemite and if it wasn't for the battery being goosed, that would have done me, but a combo of it's weight and the dead battery (it forget all the settings for wi-fi etc. if it is unplugged for more than a day or so it's a proper pain to turn it back on at all - it takes about 5 attempts and SMC and PRAM resets before it'll let me back in). So I bought a second hand 15" one a while back with HS on, and it's great as it came.

I guess in 6 months all the apps for Catalina will have been updated, and then that'll be fine, but for now, they've leapt ahead of the stuff people use at the moment. Typical apple, really.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

I found Mojave unusable with external disks - where I keep my TV recordings for travel. Something called iconservicesagent kept eating all the memory up and slowing it down to a complete stop.

Wow - Was this never sorted? Pretty poor.

Not had problems with a Western Digital drive, but it's just for backups.

Â