The Apple Thread

Stevo985

If I can get hold of one I’ll be getting an X. I’ve had my 6 since launch and I used to do yearly upgrades so I figure I’ve saved enough to justify one. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself!

I fancy the new ATV too. I’m currently spending Libya’s deficit on 4k Blurays, so the news that Apple won’t be charging extra for 4k HDR/Dolby Vision content has got me interested.

8 hours ago, jim said:

If I can get hold of one I’ll be getting an X. I’ve had my 6 since launch and I used to do yearly upgrades so I figure I’ve saved enough to justify one. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself!

I'm going to have a look at the X but I don't think I'll get it. I don't like the look of it to be perfectly honest. But I admit it might be better in the flesh.

I'm not sure the main thing it has going for it over the 8 and 8 Plus (an OLED screen) is worth the extra money.

I'll be getting an 8 Plus unless the X in the flesh particularly wows me.

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm going to have a look at the X but I don't think I'll get it. I don't like the look of it to be perfectly honest. But I admit it might be better in the flesh.

I'm not sure the main thing it has going for it over the 8 and 8 Plus (an OLED screen) is worth the extra money.

I'll be getting an 8 Plus unless the X in the flesh particularly wows me.

The main reason for me is the screen and design change, however I’m not overly keen on the notch and think it’s a really odd design choice. Would never of happened in Steve’s day.

Have to admit, I was tempted by the X.... but, I think we need to hold off a generation and see what bugs are ironed out and what improvements there are.

The 8+ is a massive upgrade from my 6s though. I love my phone once again.

• Like 1

Can you explain why you think it is so much of upgrade from the 6S? :)

I have a 6S Plus and due an upgrade soon. I'm leaning towards something Android at present, just out of the need for a change 

On 27/09/2017 at 16:09, Dick said:

Anybody got questions about the 8+? I can take photos to share, even video? I can even record the screen if that is of interest.

Yes please!

I'm on a 6 at the moment but want to run a phone through my company now so am about to take on something new.  I've been reading reviews of the Galaxy S8 and Plus, as it's a stunning looking phone and frankly I feel like Apple have got lazy.

That said, I'm fully into the Apple eco-system as I work on a Mac and run two iPads.  The phone is largely for work (so looking at designs as mail attachments attracts me to a bigger screen) and there's something handy about the new Files thing on my phone cos I can access stuff from my laptop.  My iCloud holds so much of data too, from old portfolios to over 10 years worth of photos.

Essentially, if I could take my iOS system and drop it onto the S8 Plus I'd be happy.  And I know that's the premise of the X, but I can't see me feeling happy about how much that thing would cost per month.  I think they're taking the piss.

So - tell me about this phone, brother!  Sell me the dream!

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Essentially, if I could take my iOS system and drop it onto the S8 Plus I'd be happy

From my experience, the google ecosystem works pretty well on apple products, but the apple ecosystem is useless on anything but ios/macos. I'd stick to an iphone if I were you, if you are already knee deep.

Question about Mac OS as I've recently got my first macbook.

I plugged in an external hard drive I've used before for films and such, but it won't let me move stuff from my macbook to the harddrive. I can do it the other way, copy stuff from the drive onto my macbook.

It says I only have read access.

Can I fix it? I've read it's something to with formatting and I'd need to reformat the drive?

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Question about Mac OS as I've recently got my first macbook.

I plugged in an external hard drive I've used before for films and such, but it won't let me move stuff from my macbook to the harddrive. I can do it the other way, copy stuff from the drive onto my macbook.

It says I only have read access.

Can I fix it? I've read it's something to with formatting and I'd need to reformat the drive?

Yeah you need to reformat it.  It's really easy.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-format-storage-drive-for-mac-usb-3541758/

We explain how to format a storage drive for your Mac. Step by step guide to formatting storage drive for Mac.

You can also set your apps to point here for the default storage.  Usually within preferences within the app you'll have the option.  I have iTunes set up like that, although it does mean the hard drive has to be attached to access all my music.  I tend to run Google Music in tandem so if I don't have my drive with me I can still access my music in the cloud, or download it in advance if I'm going on a long trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tegis said:

From my experience, the google ecosystem works pretty well on apple products, but the apple ecosystem is useless on anything but ios/macos. I'd stick to an iphone if I were you, if you are already knee deep.

My music is already all held within Google, so that's no issue.  Main one is the photos as they're all in the cloud, but I also have them all on an external drive so it can simply (I think) switch to Google too.

I'm genuinely torn.  I feel like Apple have got fat and lazy when it comes to phones.  I need a new phone, and am finding it hard to spend that level on cash on something that's only marginally better than what I have and only NEEDS to be marginally better because they've updated the OS beyond the capabilities of what I have.  It's not user-centric, it's shareholder-centric.

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yeah you need to reformat it.  It's really easy.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-format-storage-drive-for-mac-usb-3541758/

You can also set your apps to point here for the default storage.  Usually within preferences within the app you'll have the option.  I have iTunes set up like that, although it does mean the hard drive has to be attached to access all my music.  I tend to run Google Music in tandem so if I don't have my drive with me I can still access my music in the cloud, or download it in advance if I'm going on a long trip.

Cheers. Don't need it to act as default storage, just want to be able to use it as backup for films and such that I download. Plus it's easier to play stuff through my TV using the hard drive than via the macbook, so want that capability to move things back and forth

19 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Main one is the photos as they're all in the cloud, but I also have them all on an external drive so it can simply (I think) switch to Google too.

Yes, google photos will do that for you on both ios and android. The free tier which is unlimited if you let the app shrink your photos (the backed up ones, the original stays at native resolution) 100 gig drive costs 2 quid a month. 15 is free.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay... I am working 7 days p/w at the moment and have a lot going on in the middle of it all.

So the 6s was a great phone, but I always felt it could be sluggish - which I think happens with Apple phones. The camera was also something I used less and less, it was good, but I found that it wouldn't or couldn't focus when I needed it too, and the quality wasn't great.

Also, I felt the battery was probably going in a downward spiral, because although it still lasted me a long time, I would easily need to charge again before bed on most occasions. Apps such as Facebook and Messenger are a big cause of this, because I didn't have any issues once they were deleted - but still, I wanted more from the phone but also wanted the apps.

The 8+

It just works so quickly, instantly. Opening apps, switching pages, moving screens, it is all so much quicker - noticeably, which I did not expect. It is easily the most responsive phone I have had. 

One thing which took me a little time to get used to is the difference in the home buttons, it is now one you do not press in - and instead just add a little bit of pressure to open, which it does in rapid time - very responsive.

The screen is beautiful, it shows me such great colours (and I lined it up alongside my 6s at one point and you could pick out different things on the 8+, fantastic) and also being a bigger screen I am scrolling less to read articles, a great help!

The camera :wub:

I cannot rate this high enough. It probably will get better too as there are some moments where it doesn't pick things up (mainly in portrait mode, the new version with the 12mp camera), the image stabilisation also makes a difference - some of the shots I take are absolutely beautiful, I will upload some to my IG and share them in this post, just easier for me.

The phone also looks great, I have a case on because I am a clumsy tit, but it really is a beautiful phone. A little heavier than the 7+ because of the glass, but it looks so good.

I am just really happy with it. Love how quickly it works and how responsive it is to simple little tasks. Not regretting my purchase one bit.

(First image was a test on the new portrait mode, going to try and get a few more shots like this but with people!)

• Like 2

The wireless charging on the 8 compared to the 6 is good as well.  I’ve got a charging pad on the bedside table and just whack it on that overnight.  Other than that they’re not a huge departure.

Wireless charging will be good for me too as my car has a wireless charging point.
I know Android already have wireless charging but my current android phone doesn't (yet the Nexus 5 I had 4 years ago and gave to my mom does!)

Â