The Apple Thread

Stevo985

10 hours ago, Genie said:

Yep, it’s really slick, even quicker than getting my wallet out my pocket (no coins) and then the card out.

Which seems like a bit of a silly thing to be complimenting, given that you're talking about seconds difference.

But the barclays app on my old Sony was a genuine faff. You had to ensure NFC was on on your phone (which I tended to turn off because it contributed to draining the battery), then you had to check that the app was "ready", which it wasn't always, which meant you had to log in and "ready" it.

Which all meant you may as well have just got your wallet out.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Which seems like a bit of a silly thing to be complimenting, given that you're talking about seconds difference.

But the barclays app on my old Sony was a genuine faff. You had to ensure NFC was on on your phone (which I tended to turn off because it contributed to draining the battery), then you had to check that the app was "ready", which it wasn't always, which meant you had to log in and "ready" it.

Which all meant you may as well have just got your wallet out.

Get a better bank :) I touch the power button (on the side) as I remove the phone from my pocket, tap and back in my pocket. No two hands to touch a home button, no unlock, no turning things on and off. I only have to interact with the phone if it's over £30.

26 minutes ago, limpid said:

Get a better bank :) I touch the power button (on the side) as I remove the phone from my pocket, tap and back in my pocket. No two hands to touch a home button, no unlock, no turning things on and off. I only have to interact with the phone if it's over £30.

Yep, which is how it should (and probably does) work with Android Pay, like I said previously. But I can't compare it to that because I never used it, I was specifically comparing it to the Barclays app.

(and you don't need two hands to press the home button)

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

(and you don't need two hands to press the home button)

Unless we're at cross purposes - you need one hand to take the phone out of your pocket and the other to press the button. Or do you have to keep it in your pocket at the right angle that you pull it out while holding the home button?

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Unless we're at cross purposes - you need one hand to take the phone out of your pocket and the other to press the button. Or do you have to keep it in your pocket at the right angle that you pull it out while holding the home button?

You just take the phone out of your pocket and press the home button with your thumb. You might have to move it slightly in your hand but you certainly don't need two hands.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You just take the phone out of your pocket and press the home button with your thumb. You might have to move it slightly in your hand but you certainly don't need two hands.

You just have to take your gloves off first :mrgreen:

Couple of weird days with my iPhone alarm.

Normal alarm time is 5:35 and its been perfectly fine for a year, if I work from home then I change it to 6:40, never fails.

Yesterday I needed to get fuel before work so I changed the alarm to 5:25, it decided to still go off at 5:35, I checked the alarm in the clock app and it said 5:25. Bit weird but never mind.

I changed it back to 5:35 last night and today it went off at 5:42 which is very random, again, the app said 5:35.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a jet black (piano) iPhone 7 yesterday when I sorted my new contract out. Got it for £34pm with 12GB data. I’m really enjoying it, the size is absolutely perfect. Experience is obviously similar to my SE I had earlier in the year only that bit more slicker. Very impressed. 

Hopefully a simple question (but probably not knowing Apple).

Is there a way to determine which app is automatically launched when I connect to Bluetooth?

So currently, whenever I get into my car, on most occasions it automatically starts playing iTunes/Apple Music/whatever it's called now. But I don't use that so it's just playing some random old track I purchased years ago when I did use iTunes.
I would much rather it automatically launched Spotify and started playing whatever I listened to last.

It does do this sometimes, but only if I get back into my car after having listened to Spotify in there recently.

So what determines it, and can it be controlled?

I'd have thought there was simply an option to select which app launched when the phone connected to something via bluetooth. But maybe that's oversimplifying it?!

Edited by Stevo985

• 6 months later...

Can anyone recommend a safe program to download music from YouTube to an iTunes library please. There seem to be a few out there but I don't know if they are safe to download. Any advice welcome . Cheers

3 hours ago, veloman said:

Can anyone recommend a safe program to download music from YouTube to an iTunes library please. There seem to be a few out there but I don't know if they are safe to download. Any advice welcome . Cheers

Sounds illegal...

Used to use CD Spin Doctor bundled with Toast, but an Apple update to OSX stopped that straightforward internal routing. 

So then you had get your head around a program called Soundflower that pretended to be a device and could again route audio internally to Spin Doctor, but it wasn't particularly easy to use.

Development stopped with Soundflower and now the program to use seems to be Loopback, but I've not got around to installing it yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I being thick?

How do you delete photos from icloud but not from your phone?

I've run out of space on icloud so can't back up my phone. But it's because all my photos are on there. But i back up my photos using google photos so I don't need them on icloud.

But I want the photos on my phone, and I can't figure out how to delete them from icloud without deleting them from my phone!

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Am I being thick?

How do you delete photos from icloud but not from your phone?

I've run out of space on icloud so can't back up my phone. But it's because all my photos are on there. But i back up my photos using google photos so I don't need them on icloud.

But I want the photos on my phone, and I can't figure out how to delete them from icloud without deleting them from my phone!

1. To be safe, Connect iPhone to Mac , open photos on the Mac and import new photos (if any). If you use a pc, then copy the photos from the phone to whatever you use to manage photos.

2. Sync your iPhone with iTunes.

3. Either on the phone camera app, or on iCloud files delete the photos. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

1. To be safe, Connect iPhone to Mac , open photos on the Mac and import new photos (if any). If you use a pc, then copy the photos from the phone to whatever you use to manage photos.

2. Sync your iPhone with iTunes.

3. Either on the phone camera app, or on iCloud files delete the photos. 

Thanks. I'll try this later.

Everything is backed up on google anyway so I shouldn't lose anything, I just don't really want to have the hassle of having to re download everything. I actually quite like the Photo app on the iPhone so I'd quite like to keep using that and just have google as the backup.

• 4 weeks later...

Those that prefer a smaller phone might want to stick with their 8’s for the time being. The smallest iPhone this year will be the X2 which is keeping the same dimensions as the current X.

Gutted they aren’t doing a new SE, the design for the 5/5s was beautiful, couple that with a notched screen filling the face ?. Shame it’s not happening. Would be amazing for those of us that prefer smaller phones.

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Those that prefer a smaller phone might want to stick with their 8’s for the time being. The smallest iPhone this year will be the X2 which is keeping the same dimensions as the current X.

Gutted they aren’t doing a new SE, the design for the 5/5s was beautiful, couple that with a notched screen filling the face ?. Shame it’s not happening. Would be amazing for those of us that prefer smaller phones.

Are there plans for an X Plus this year?
If so I'm all over that. I absolutely love my 8 Plus. Best phone I've ever had, and I love the bigger size.

Â