The Apple Thread

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I think thats a fairly new thing from Apple. They go on the basis that most iPhone 12 buyers will have probably had 5 or 6 previous iPhones and have a myriad of chargers. 

Yeah I guess. To be honest mate if I'd stayed with Android the lack of a charger wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest, because as you say, I've probably got half a dozen of the things.

It's just a pain that having spent a fair bit of money on a device that they don't provide you with means of charging the bloody thing. I guess jumping to a new eco system I'll find a few of these inconveniences. 

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

They can be.  I bought the iPhone SE last summer which is the body of an iPhone 8 with the guts of an iPhone 11 (which was the newest model at the time) inside it and they start at £400.  I'll probably get at least three years use out of it. 

I bought my wife one a few months back. It passes the “no moaning” test with flying colours.

25 minutes ago, av1 said:

Yeah I guess. To be honest mate if I'd stayed with Android the lack of a charger wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest, because as you say, I've probably got half a dozen of the things.

It's just a pain that having spent a fair bit of money on a device that they don't provide you with means of charging the bloody thing. I guess jumping to a new eco system I'll find a few of these inconveniences. 

£8.49 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S7NQYFS?smid=AXZ3JQ1GVFPIF

£15.20 for Apple brand version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08L5RKGVX?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I agree it’s annoying to have to buy one straight away.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

£8.49 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S7NQYFS?smid=AXZ3JQ1GVFPIF

£15.20 for Apple brand version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08L5RKGVX?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I agree it’s annoying to have to buy one straight away.

Thanks mate. I think I went with the second one, I did pay about £15. It is was it is I guess. Hopefully the the system is worth it. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Thanks mate. I think I went with the second one, I did pay about £15. It is was it is I guess. Hopefully the the system is worth it. 

I just thought, don’t the old iPhone usb-a to lightning cables work? Could you not have bought some generic iPhone cables and plugged the usb end into one of the many usb-a plugs you’ve no doubt got knocking around?

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just thought, don’t the old iPhone usb-a to lightning cables work? Could you not have bought some generic iPhone cables and plugged the usb end into one of the many usb-a plugs you’ve no doubt got knocking around?

I dont know to be honest mate. But they supply a USB C to lighting cable, so if I considered that logic I'd have to buy a new cable anyway. Either way I'd have to buy something. 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

I dont know to be honest mate. But they supply a USB C to lighting cable, so if I considered that logic I'd have to buy a new cable anyway. Either way I'd have to buy something. 

True.

Might be something to consider though if you want a few spare cables for in the car, work bag, different rooms in the house.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

True.

Might be something to consider though if you want a few spare cables for in the car, work bag, different rooms in the house.

Definitely pal.. I've got standard USB car chargers so I'll look at compatable stuff 👍

On 23/03/2021 at 07:21, blandy said:

I’ve got 2 of those going spare. There might be a way out. They’re from 2009 and 2011 MacBook Pro models. You can have one if you want ( for free).

That's really kind of you mate, honestly really appreciate the thought.

I believe they are the original Magsafe chargers? It's the Magsafe 2 I need unfortunately (Mid 2014 Macbook Pro), again much appreciated though! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, penguin said:

It's the Magsafe 2 I need unfortunately (Mid 2014 Macbook Pro), again much appreciated though! 

Bugger!. Yeah, the one on my current (2015 model) Mac is a smaller connector than the old chargers I've kept hold of "just in case".

Well the new phone came today and I must say that my first impression is very positive. The first thing that struck me (apart from the fact it seems incredibly well built) is how easy it seems to be, which was a concern given I've never owned a apple product. 

I like the fact that I seem to be able to uninstall some of apps I'll never use, though admittedly I've not gone through them all so I imagine they'll be a few I can't remove. 

All in all, very impressed. 

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I don't like the iPhone 12.   The main reason is the face-activated unlocking. 

It's so annoying when you're wearing masks everywhere.

I want the thumb activation back please.

You aren't supposed to say this bit out load.

:trollface:

But seriously, doesn't your square watch keep your phone unlocked?

30 minutes ago, limpid said:

You aren't supposed to say this bit out load.

:trollface:

But seriously, doesn't your square watch keep your phone unlocked?

I'd certainly hope not. Anyone getting mugged - wahey! for the robbers. I mean how hard exactly is looking at a phone in order to unlock it?

This

I don't like the iPhone 12.   The main reason is the face-activated unlocking. 

I want the thumb activation back please.

is entitled to be @ender4's opinion, but I'd phrase it differently, thus:

I don't like the virus.  One reason is the face-activated unlocking of my iPhone 12 is difficult indoors.

I want non-mask wearing back please.

:)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'd certainly hope not. Anyone getting mugged - wahey! for the robbers. I mean how hard exactly is looking at a phone in order to unlock it?

This

is entitled to be @ender4's opinion, but I'd phrase it differently, thus:

:)

Yep, mustn't criticise the decision to remove the fingerprint sensor. Blame the virus.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Yep, mustn't criticise the decision to remove the fingerprint sensor. Blame the virus.

Removing the fingerprint sensor I found annoying at first, but the face thing meant larger screen in same sized phone, and as soon as I got used to just looking at the phone, I wouldn't personally prefer the button any more on my iPhone.

Fingerprint sensors don't work if you've got gloves on - personally that was more of a nuisance for me, than masks/virus. Winter happens every year.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Removing the fingerprint sensor I found annoying at first, but the face thing meant larger screen in same sized phone, and as soon as I got used to just looking at the phone, I wouldn't personally prefer the button any more on my iPhone.

Fingerprint sensors don't work if you've got gloves on - personally that was more of a nuisance for me, than masks/virus. Winter happens every year.

Apple could have invented the fingerprint sensor on the back or through the screen like other phones have had for a few years, but you're right that it wouldn't help when wearing gloves. Perhaps they could have had both face and fingerprint sensors to maximise usability - might have cost a couple of quid in components.

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think it’s also annoying because I use my phone in the dark in bed at night, and then the phone can’t see my face so doesn’t unlock.

That’s odd. Mine unlocks in the dark. 

Â