The Apple Thread

Stevo985

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess in my head I'm thinking you still need to hold the phone's back against the reader, flat. Which is awkward using the power button but was easy using the fingerprint.

In reality you just need to hold it near so it's probably not as much of an issue as I'm making it

It's noticeably worse using the face recognition when tapping the tube barriers.  The fingerprint worked much better.  Now you have to press the button, tap it, then get your face in reasonable range of the camera.  Other than that I think it's almost flawless.

7 hours ago, Risso said:

It's noticeably worse using the face recognition when tapping the tube barriers.  The fingerprint worked much better.  Now you have to press the button, tap it, then get your face in reasonable range of the camera.  Other than that I think it's almost flawless.

You can do the face bit first. And then tap.

For me it's really just the quickness of use. With the fingerprint, when I took my phone out of my pocket my thumb was already on the button so I could double click which would authorise it immediately, and then the phone was already in a natural position in my hand to hold it flat against the reader. It was practically all one movement.

Now I feel like there are a couple of movements. Phone out, shift it in my hand to press the power button, make sure it can see my face (which to be fair is pretty easy) then shift it in my hand again to touch the reader.

Like I said it's a really minor point. It still works perfectly, it's just ever so slightly less "natural".

Considering this is the only negative I've found on the phone so far I'm pretty happy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 08:05, Stevo985 said:

You can do the face bit first. And then tap.

For me it's really just the quickness of use. With the fingerprint, when I took my phone out of my pocket my thumb was already on the button so I could double click which would authorise it immediately, and then the phone was already in a natural position in my hand to hold it flat against the reader. It was practically all one movement.

Now I feel like there are a couple of movements. Phone out, shift it in my hand to press the power button, make sure it can see my face (which to be fair is pretty easy) then shift it in my hand again to touch the reader.

Like I said it's a really minor point. It still works perfectly, it's just ever so slightly less "natural".

Considering this is the only negative I've found on the phone so far I'm pretty happy.

Yeah I've got used to this now and it's really not an issue.

Still slightly less convenient as you need to look at the phone, rather than just using your thumb. But we're talking fractions.

I guess you'd have the same problem with any face recognition.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone used the Apple battery replacement scheme? I’m booked in to get my battery changed on my 6s next weekend. I think it’s fair value as after 2 years everything is as good as the day I got it, apart from the battery which is struggling a bit now. 

Do they wipe it? They say to back up ahead of the work.

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anyone used the Apple battery replacement scheme? I’m booked in to get my battery changed on my 6s next weekend. I think it’s fair value as after 2 years everything is as good as the day I got it, apart from the battery which is struggling a bit now. 

Do they wipe it? They say to back up ahead of the work.

You;d be crazy not to wipe any phone if it's going to be out of your possession.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s being done whilst I wait. Not sure they’ll need to go into the phone OS to do it? 

I didn't know it was while you wait. Will it be out of your site or connected to anything? They can copy the contents in a few minutes. I guess it depends on how much you value your data.

If they are simply changing the battery then that can't wipe your phone. They are asking you to backup in case they break your phone and have to replace it.

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's far better than any time I've had to do it on Android.

It's a good experience on iphones (as long as you don't get a virus on the backup device), but it's pretty simple on  most Android phones. I guess your experience is old or involved some software provided by the phone manufacturer. There are apps that do it completely seamlessly, but the default android experience is pretty good.

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's a good experience on iphones (as long as you don't get a virus on the backup device), but it's pretty simple on  most Android phones. I guess your experience is old or involved some software provided by the phone manufacturer. There are apps that do it completely seamlessly, but the default android experience is pretty good.

Nope. Default Android.

It's fine, but it's not as seamless as the iphone one. 

Iphone you restore from (cloud) backup and everything is as you left it. I got a new phone a couple of weeks back and the restore was lightning quick and everything was exactly as my old phone had been.

I loved my Android phones and my Android experience, but that was always something that bothered me. It just wasn't as easy as it was with iPhones, unless they've improved it in the past 13 months.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. Default Android.

It's fine, but it's not as seamless as the iphone one. 

Iphone you restore from (cloud) backup and everything is as you left it. I got a new phone a couple of weeks back and the restore was lightning quick and everything was exactly as my old phone had been.

I loved my Android phones and my Android experience, but that was always something that bothered me. It just wasn't as easy as it was with iPhones, unless they've improved it in the past 13 months.

Cool. You can get backup apps for Android which do the same. I don't use one as I'm happy with the default experience (which is reinstalling rather than recovering). I factory reset my phone every 3 months or so and I don't find it as annoying as waiting for a number port :) I also change my phone a lot more often than most people. 

• 3 weeks later...

apologies if this has already been asked but.......

I have just bought my very first ipad, 2018 6th generation. My issue is that how do i connect my old ipod nano (4th gen, 8gb) to download my itunes purchases ? My ipod has a 30 pin flat, wide connection in to the ipod with a usb connection on the other end of the cable. In the old days I simply used the usb port on my (now deceased) laptop and hooked up the ipod and downloaded but I've just been on amazon and the number of adaptors/cables is confusing me as to which one i get.

Can any VTers point out which one I should buy ? Many thanks !

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

apologies if this has already been asked but.......

I have just bought my very first ipad, 2018 6th generation. My issue is that how do i connect my old ipod nano (4th gen, 8gb) to download my itunes purchases ? My ipod has a 30 pin flat, wide connection in to the ipod with a usb connection on the other end of the cable. In the old days I simply used the usb port on my (now deceased) laptop and hooked up the ipod and downloaded but I've just been on amazon and the number of adaptors/cables is confusing me as to which one i get.

Can any VTers point out which one I should buy ? Many thanks !

I don't understand the question. Is the question about your iPod nano that you've had for ages? or is it about the new iPad? what are you trying to do with whichever device the question is about?

Are you trying to move music fro ma computer to a device? are you trying to fetch music from your purchased history from the cloud onto a device?

The new iPad can be connected to a computer using the lead that comes with it. The old iPod can be connected to a computer using the lead that came with that, as you say.

I don't understand why you think you need a new cable of some sort. Can you expand a bit what you are trying to do?

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't understand the question. Is the question about your iPod nano that you've had for ages? or is it about the new iPad? what are you trying to do with whichever device the question is about?

Are you trying to move music fro ma computer to a device? are you trying to fetch music from your purchased history from the cloud onto a device?

The new iPad can be connected to a computer using the lead that comes with it. The old iPod can be connected to a computer using the lead that came with that, as you say.

I don't understand why you think you need a new cable of some sort. Can you expand a bit what you are trying to do?

Sure....

I dont have a pc or laptop now to transfer from itunes to the ipod, like I used to. I'm an android boy really and my old samsung tablet came with a mutli slot adaptor to connect stuff up to it....I'm new to apple really. I want to buy new stuff within itunes but want to be sure i can put it on to the ipod from the ipad. My ipod is about 8 years old and isn't wifi capable like my kindle is. So how do I connect it to the ipad to transfer new itunes purchases

24 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

My ipod is about 8 years old and isn't wifi capable like my kindle is. So how do I connect it to the ipad to transfer new itunes purchases

Gotcha.

I don't believe you need to connect the two together. I don't think it's vine possible. But, the good news is you can get the tunes you have previously bought from iTunes directly onto the iPad via the music app on the iPad - basically you sign in too your iTunes account on the iPad, and then download as many of the purchased songs as you like onto the iPad. Once you're signed in the songs will appear with little cloud symbols next to them, and if you want to download them you click the cloud(s).

Edit - actually it might be via the "iTunes store" app now

this sez how to do it

Open the iTunes Store app. It's a purple app that contains a white musical note inside a white circle....:snip:

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Gotcha.

I don't believe you need to connect the two together. I don't think it's vine possible. But, the good news is you can get the tunes you have previously bought from iTunes directly onto the iPad via the music app on the iPad - basically you sign in too your iTunes account on the iPad, and then download as many of the purchased songs as you like onto the iPad. Once you're signed in the songs will appear with little cloud symbols next to them, and if you want to download them you click the cloud(s).

Thanks for that but I've probably mislead you. I can see my library/purchase history on the new ipad no problem via my apple id/account - my question is how do i get new purchases on to the ipod from the ipad ?

Just now, mottaloo said:

Thanks for that but I've probably mislead you. I can see my library/purchase history on the new ipad no problem via my apple id/account - my question is how do i get new purchases on to the ipod from the ipad ?

Ah, OK. If the iPod nano has got no wi-fi, and it's got no computer to connect it to, then you're gonna struggle. I see the problem. Best I can think of is get a friend or colleague with a computer to help you - it's possible to have more than one person's account set up on iTunes, it's also possible to have more than one user have an account to use a computer - even if one of them is just "guest" i.e. you. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Â