The Apple Thread

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I’ve done exactly that with mine  here’s how

Open Shortcuts on your iPhone.

Tap the + button in the upper-right corner.

Tap Add Action.

Tap the search bar.

Search for Open App.

Tap Open App. Its icon looks like a grid of colourful squares.

Tap Choose.

Tap Camera from the list ( or whatever app you want to open)

Tap Next.

Enter a name for your shortcut.

Tap Done.

You've now successfully created your shortcut. To set it up with double or triple-tap, do the following:

Open Settings on your iPhone.

Tap Accessibility.

Tap Touch.

Scroll to the bottom and tap Back Tap.

Tap Double Tap or Triple Tap.

Scroll down and tap the name of the shortcut that you just created.

And you're done. The double- or triple-tap gesture will now launch the camera ( or app you chose) no matter where you are on your phone

Excellent stuff. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my kids an iPhone 6s each. £119 and brand new. Immediately updated to latest software iOS 14.1. Battery Heath on both 100%.

It’ll be modern enough to do whatever they need to do, quick enough that they don’t get frustrated and cheap enough so that we don’t have to worry too much about damage etc.

It’s ebay item 293486893026 if anyone is interested. £149 but 20% off code at the moment makes it £119

They also have other newer iPhones in the same Grade A category (new, unused but box might be damaged or changed).

Edited by Genie

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very annoying issue on my phones since the latest update.

When rotating the handset to landscape the widgets from the left hand side obscure part of the screen and are unresponsive.

Anyone aware of a fix?

• 1 month later...

My iPhone 8 sim only contract is coming to an end in Jan so thought I’d have a gander at the new iPhone 12 pro as I’m due an upgrade. Found a nice deal with 3... expected delivery 4-5 weeks! Crikey. Something to look forward to I suppose. 

A few years back year on year new models delivered a raft of exciting and useful new features. The last 3 or 4 years handsets seem to have really plateaued.

I have an iPhone X but really don’t see a reason to move to a newer Xr, Xs, 11 or 12.

Even hardware style changes are irrelevant as like 99% of people I have my phone in a case.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

A few years back year on year new models delivered a raft of exciting and useful new features. The last 3 or 4 years handsets seem to have really plateaued.

I have an iPhone X but really don’t see a reason to move to a newer Xr, Xs, 11 or 12.

Even hardware style changes are irrelevant as like 99% of people I have my phone in a case.

You are right, phones have plateaued in general. They look the same and the features don't really change. Maybe a slightly better processor and an incremental improvement in the camera. 

I still have a 6S Plus. I do need to upgrade soon though as it now turns itself off when it gets down to 40% battery!

Folding screen phones is what interests me. Not at the current prices though! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

You are right, phones have plateaued in general. They look the same and the features don't really change. Maybe a slightly better processor and an incremental improvement in the camera. 

I still have a 6S Plus. I do need to upgrade soon though as it now turns itself off when it gets down to 40% battery!

I managed to get the children a brand new 6s each for Christmas. They run the latest OS perfectly, 3.5mm port still present, 100% battery life. Why spend more? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Price and durability. All of the ones I've seen seem to be incredibly fragile screen wise. You could scratch them with your thumbnail

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Price and durability. All of the ones I've seen seem to be incredibly fragile screen wise. You could scratch them with your thumbnail

Indeed. It will be interesting to see Apple's take on it in due course. 

On 30/12/2020 at 22:07, Xela said:

Indeed. It will be interesting to see Apple's take on it in due course. 

Apple are never quick to the market with stuff like this, they’ll come to the party when others are on Rev 2 or 3 of their technology.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apple are never quick to the market with stuff like this, they’ll come to the party when others are on Rev 2 or 3 of their technology.

Indeed, but they generally get it right. They'd never go to production with huge durability issues like Samsung did. They reckon the Apple folding phone is 2 years away. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Got an iPhone 12 Pro coming tomorrow after being an exclusively android user for years.

Is there a way to upload my own music they way google play music used to let you before they killed it?

I use chrome flags to force dark mode on my browser, is there an equivalent setting on iPhone

any apps or tips to get me started?

12 hours ago, V01 said:

Got an iPhone 12 Pro coming tomorrow after being an exclusively android user for years.

Is there a way to upload my own music they way google play music used to let you before they killed it?

I use chrome flags to force dark mode on my browser, is there an equivalent setting on iPhone

any apps or tips to get me started?

iOS had a dark mode choice - light/dark/automatic in settings.

Uploading music - to the clouds? or to the phone? yeah, you can do either. I do mine to the phone by syncing to the computer, but there are ways to do it via the clouds, though I don't do it myself.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone help...

I'm trying to upload some documents to a website for identity checks.

I took a picture on my iPhone, saved it to my Mac then when I go to upload it the picture stays blanked out. It won't let me select it? Frustrating! 

Not sure if it will work any better in terms of uploading, but there are proper photoscanning apps out there. "PhotoScan" is the google version that I've used. It gives you options to save to your phone or email you the results so it might solve things for you in a roundabout way

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2021 at 09:23, MCU said:

Can anyone help...

I took a picture on my iPhone, saved it to my Mac then when I go to upload it the picture stays blanked out. It won't let me select it? Frustrating! 

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure if it will work any better in terms of uploading, but there are proper photoscanning apps out there. "PhotoScan" is the google version that I've used. It gives you options to save to your phone or email you the results so it might solve things for you in a roundabout way

Not sure if this will do it for you but you can scan documents in 'notes'. So there is no need for any third party apps.

These can also be saved and forwarded on. Not sure if or how they can be uploaded to a website. But may be worth trying out.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210336

Scan a document

1. Open Notes and select a note or create a new one.
  2. Tap the Camera button Tap Camera button to start scanning a document in Notes, then tap Scan Documents Scan document icon.
  3. Place your document in view of the camera.
  4. If your device is in Auto mode, your document will automatically scan. If you need to manually capture a scan, tap the Shutter button tap the Shutter button to scan or one of the Volume buttons. Then drag the corners to adjust the scan to fit the page, then tap Keep Scan.
  5. Tap Save or add additional scans to the document.
  • Like 2

On 04/02/2021 at 09:23, MCU said:

Can anyone help...

It may be a naming thing - e.g. the website may want a .jpeg file and your pic might be a .jpg. Or it may want a .PNG ....etc.

So maybe rename the photo on the Mac as different file type? you can obviously also open the image and then save as and convert it other formats.

Also make sure the file size is not above any limit set by the website

• Thanks 1

This may have nothing to do with anything, but when I transfer a photo from my iPhone to my Mac, it seems to default to the .HEIC format, which a lot of websites seem to struggle with.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know of a simple way of transferring all of my whatsapp chats and media to an external hard drive or my macbook for posterity?

My iPhone and iCloud are getting close to full and i've checked and it's whatsapp that is taking up most space with all of the data on there.
I have loads of chats, vid clips, pics etc that i'd like to save.

Is there a way of doing this either free or relatively cheap through a trustworthy 3rd party software or app?

I've searched google and can't fathom my way around it. I've seen some software but not sure how much i can trust it.

tia

• 3 weeks later...

My phone contract is up, my laptop is about 8yrs old so I need a new one, and I'm interested in getting a smart watch. I've been doing some research/ reading reviews on all 3 over the last few weeks and apple seems to be at/or very near the top with all 3. The thing is I've never owned a apple product, is it easy to completely switch from Android/windows? 

I've never considered switching before but the fact apple seem to do everything pretty well is tempting me. 

Edited by av1

Â