');

Recommended Posts

So anyone got the new FIFA?

Have to say, it's very much improved! Nothing revolutionary has changed, but it feels like older FIFA's.. they've kinda brought the arcady-ness back to it which also brings back a lot of fun.

I'm a big fan of it so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to pick it up about 5-6 months after release when its around half the price. I like Fifa, but not enough to pay full whack every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

resubbed to access for the trial, will give clubs a go later. Apparently they've made an effort this year (still won't buy it though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was going to try PES this year but reading the thread on here I think I'll go for FIFA again. Will pick it up on Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you happen to be called Alex Hunter GAME will give you the game for free this weekend

"Eligible customers must send their full name, address, desired game format and a scan or photograph of a driving licence or passport to content@game.co.uk," a GAME representative stated.

Edited by LakotaDakota

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting it tomorrow. I greatly dislike how I have to put money into ultimate team early or else I am in for a a difficult year of fifa. 

I probably will just do a couple seasons of career mode as Villa to get used to the game. I pretty much always do that then I start playing online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local Game are doing a competition, whoever turns up in the craziest kit for the midnight opening wins a copy of the game.

Image result for willem dafoe laugh gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Local Game are doing a competition, whoever turns up in the craziest kit for the midnight opening wins a copy of the game.

 

Time to dust off that goalkeeper shirt...

 

You know which one I mean.

and-here-we-go-gif-7.gif

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Local Game are doing a competition, whoever turns up in the craziest kit for the midnight opening wins a copy of the game.

Image result for willem dafoe laugh gif

Just wear as many of them as you can (Joey style) and peel them off until they say "alright mate, we get your point, just take the **** game" 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Quote

Six things that only happen on Fifa release day

 

For most people, Friday 29 September probably isn't that significant - unless you play Fifa.

That's because it's the date Fifa 18 is released in the UK and gamers are pretty excited about it.

This is the 25th Fifa game to be made and has new players and stadiums but no major new play features.

Here are some of the things you should expect to see on a very special #FIFAFriday.

Workmates call in sick with a mystery illness

The illness being extreme stress, from deciding which team to start your career with and fatigue to arguing about which Premier League players should have made the top 10.

This also applies to the mates that have cancelled your plans together and given you a rubbish excuse even though you know exactly where they'll be.

Your significant other stops paying any attention to you

Fifa release day might as well be "International Singles Day" as you won't expect to see your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband anytime soon and a reply to your text is totally not happening either.

Supermarkets will be ridiculously busy all of a sudden

"I didn't even know they made physical video games any more" you grumble as you try and force your way through a massive queue to get to the vegetable aisle.

If you have any sense, you'll probably want to avoid supermarkets on release day, as people frantically camp outside before opening hours to get their hands on the new game.

Even if you were one of the lucky people to pre-order the game, there's still the small issue of relying on the postman to deliver it.

Cue staring longingly out of your window and scaring your neighbours in the process.

People get overly dramatic about saying goodbye to Fifa 17

We all know that change is hard, so expect to see your timeline filled with dedications to the old game and dramatic deleting of old settings from consoles.

The new soundtrack divides opinion

Lorde, The XX and Stormzy all feature on this year's soundtrack, which you can listen to while you play.

Not everyone is a fan though, so expect a few arguments and get ready to defend your favourite track.

Now's also the time to get your claim in that you were a big fan of one of the artists way before the soundtrack came out.

Actual footballers get the game earlier than you

Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea players have all been tweeting about getting their copies early, so you just have to settle with sulking while you wait for your copy and thinking about how cool it must be to get to play as yourself during the game.

I think this article was made by someone who has never played FIFA, or known anyone who plays FIFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Now's also the time to get your claim in that you were a big fan of one of the artists way before the soundtrack came out.

Haha, this was absolutely me when I saw that Vessels have made it onto the soundtrack. :blush:

They've gone all electro-dancey over the last few albums, I dare say the superior 7+ minute-sprawling-post-rock-era Vessels of 9 years ago probably would have been less conducive to the game.  Top lads though.

Edited by GarethRDR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I think this article was made by someone who has never played FIFA, or known anyone who plays FIFA.

Or someone with a very limited knowledge of gaming in general. Granted some like the soundtrack are more bespoke to FIFA and other sports games, but people have been calling in sick, neglecting their partners and making stores busy on a games release for decades. I find it funny that the article/list makes out it's a FIFA exclusive phenomenon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to pick this up for my lad last night.  was surprised how many copies were still available.  Are people now seeing this franchise is just an EA cash cow now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Went to pick this up for my lad last night.  was surprised how many copies were still available.  Are people now seeing this franchise is just an EA cash cow now?

Digital is fast becoming the way many buy games as on Xbox and PC there is EA Access where you can play the game days early, it's also the way to play on the stroke of Midnight if that's your deal. Digital is really eating into Physical game sales and I think it's taking a while for stores to catch up to that fact which is leading to many games being overstocked recently. FIFA '18 due to PES '18 not being the game many hoped is likely one of the best selling FIFA games in years, but if every other game this year is anything to go by I would say maybe 60% of all sales were bought Digitally on the PlayStation Store, Xbox Marketplace or Origin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't bought it yet, as I have my reservations. Has anyone played career manager mode yet? Have they improved it, or is it the same old bullshit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as every year they put new stuff into CM, the theory is good but the implementation is shite.

 

Stuff like only being able to approach a player from your shortlist, meaning that after two seasons the transfer hub takes about 5 minutes to load and another 5 minutes to scroll to the right player as you'll have amassed a 50 strong list of all the players you've ever wanted to buy.

 

 

You can't simply ask a club what they want for a player anymore, so you are forced to scout absolutely everyone fully before starting negotiations because you're given no clue as to how much to offer, and if your opening bid is too low you get knocked back immediately and half to wait a game week before trying again.

 

Ultimately although it looks nice, you'll get bored of the new negotiation system after a while and start delegating to your assistant manager, which is fine and works well, however this delegation option does not extend to contract renewals of your own squad, which means that every time you need to renew an expiring contract you have to go through the rigmarole of negotiations for every single player, one by one. Assume at the end of any given season, you'll need to renew on average 10 players, that's going to take you about 30 minutes of game time going through the same animations (as opposed to 5 minutes in FIFA 17). As I say, once the novelty of this new system wears off, it's actually going to denigrate massively and make CM a bloody chore to get through.

 

And, funnily enough, I've already broken CM; it's entirely possible to loan a player in, then use that loanee as part of a player exchange deal with another club. Mark my words this will wind up being the only thing they fix.

 

So yeah, as ever, some new bells and whistles with a few good ideas nestled away in there but ultimately a retrograde step that hasn't been tested/thought through anywhere near enough. De rigeur for EA, really.

 

(And promoted/relegated teams still don't get a league badge/number style change, which I realise is just my pedantry but I am so desperate for this!)

Edited by GarethRDR
Spelling fail. Curse you, mobile phone keyboard!
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Same as every year they put new stuff into CM, the theory is good but the implementation is shite.

 

Stuff like only being able to approach a player from your shortlist, meaning that after two seasons the transfer hub takes about 5 minutes to load and another 5 minutes to scroll to the right player as you'll have amassed a 50 strong list of all the players you've ever wanted to buy.

 

 

You can't simply ask a club what they want for a player anymore, so you are forced to scout absolutely everyone fully before starting negotiations because you're given no clue as to how much to offer, and if your opening bid is too low you get knocked back immediately and half to wait a game week before trying again.

 

Ultimately although it looks nice, you'll get bored of the new negotiation system after a while and start delegating to your assistant manager, which is fine and works well, however this delegation option does not extend to contract renewals of your own squad, which means that every time you need to renew an expiring contract you have to go through the rigmarole of negotiations for every single player, one by one. Assume at the end of any given season, you'll need to renew on average 10 players, that's going to take you about 30 minutes of game time going through the same animations (as opposed to 5 minutes in FIFA 17). As I say, once the novelty of this new system wears off, it's actually going to denigrate massively and make CM a bloody chore to get through.

 

And, funnily enough, I've already broken CM; it's entirely possible to loan a player in, then use that loanee as part of a player exchange deal with another club. Mark my words this will wind up being the only thing they fix.

 

So yeah, as ever, some new bells and whistles with a few good ideas nestled away in there but ultimately a retrograde step that hasn't been tested/thought through anywhere near enough. De rigeur for EA, really.

 

(And promoted/relegated teams still don't get a league badge/number style change, which I realise is just my pedantry but I am so desperate for this!)

Thank you so very much for that, @GarethRDR. Very informative, and has helped sway my decision. Bollocks to it then, I will give it a miss this year.

Do you also still get players getting homesick, " about that new contract..." , and whining because they are not playing every game because they are either out injured or just plain shit? I think that stuff to me really detracts from the game mostly.

I also agree that promoted teams to the Premier League should get at least a shoulder patch change. It looks so weird when you get Villa winning the Champions League, but they are still wearing their stupid Championship patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2017 at 01:59, Fowlersrs said:

Theyve increased Davis from 60 to 65 over night. Anyone playing on ps4

I started a career mode with him at a 60. Is he stuck like that now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites