Pre-match thread

Nigel

If you're going to have a bet on us winning the league/going up and have not yet done so i would do it today/before tomorrows game. If we beat both burton & bolton the odds will be gone. you can still get 18/1 or more on winning the league as of now but this will be down to 5/1 or so if we win both and maybe even lower if other results help out

This feels like one of many other times where we had a moment that could be the the start of turning things around. We've always failed to show up at those times. Can only hope that this is the beginning of a real promotion push.

• Like 2

I'd play same team, only swapping Onomah for Whelan.  I toyed with swapping out Davis for Hogan - reason being that with Kodjia in the starting lineup we do have someone who can hold the ball up and Hogan will be the fresher and quicker of the two on the counter.  That said, Davis leading the line with Kodjia, Adomah and Snodgrass just behind is too good to change right now.

Bruce will probably go 4-5-1 with Jedi replacing Davis.

• Like 1

This is another game where we get the chance to prove where we currently stand.

If we've really turned that intangible corner then we win this.  Simple as that.  But Burton are tricky enough that if we're still in any way fragile then they're more than good enough to take points off us, as they've shown already this season against some pretty decent sides (and a not-so-decent side ;)).

I'll go for a 2-0 win for Villa and an unchanged starting line-up.  I think our current shape and personnel is actually better suited to away games than home ones.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

If you're going to have a bet on us winning the league/going up and have not yet done so i would do it today/before tomorrows game. If we beat both burton & bolton the odds will be gone. you can still get 18/1 or more on winning the league as of now but this will be down to 5/1 or so if we win both and maybe even lower if other results help out

Lol. We scrape a win against Forest to move up to 9th and people are talking about betting on us winning the league. :)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Lol. We scrape a win against Forest to move up to 9th and people are talking about betting on us winning the league. :)

He does have a point about the way the odds will tumble if we get through those games though.  Which is why anyone who thinks we might do it should back it before those wins (those who don't think we'll do it, won't).  And what's that about the good habit of winning games despite not playing well ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

He does have a point about the way the odds will tumble if we get through those games though.  Which is why anyone who thinks we might do it should back it before those wins (those who don't think we'll do it, won't).  And what's that about the good habit of winning games despite not playing well ;)

Haha. I suppose if you are mad enough to waste your money on that bet though, you would have already done it after the Reading defeat when the odds would have been even higher. 

Just now, One For The Road said:

Haha. I suppose if you are mad enough to waste your money on that bet though, you would have already done it after the Reading defeat when the odds would have been even higher. 

Ah now.  The slight difference being that after Reading we were yet to win a game and had lost 2 on the spin.  We're now unbeaten in 6 and have climbed 9 places in 2 games.  Odds would've been higher though, no doubt about that.  But LD is right.  If we beat Burton then the bookies will rein it in.

Do I get up at 415am, and get cursed at by the Mrs, and shell a tenner to watch Villa play Burton away? mmmmmm, I think it will be a game worth watching but then every time I think that I finish the game feeling ripped off. 

Credit to all those that go to as many games as you can, regardless of our form at the time. Maybe I'm just way to jaded at the moment, obviously I can only watch on a screen, but this season. I can take it or leave it (I have never felt like this before and I've followed the Villa for 20 yrs now)

Edited by Villan_of_oz

I'm really excited about the next two games. Two very winnable matches which could see us sitting pretty in the playoff places on Saturday evening with a bounce in our step.

Of course it won't happen because it's Villa, but you know, we can dream.

Its worth noting that Burton have won their last 2 games at home.

Admittedly 1 was against Arrys Small Heath side which probably paid for his garage extension, but the other one was legit, against Fulham too!

Not sure this is a nailed on 3 points tbh!

With all due respect to Burton these are the type of games Villa need to win to achieve automatic promotion. If you're going to pay too much respect to the likes of Burton then enjoy being a lower to mid Championship team for the next few seasons.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3