Pre-match thread

Nigel

Going to be interesting what Bruce does here in terms of squad rotation. We have a big squad here for this very reason.

id like to see bree in at right back and onomah in to give us some fresh legs. 

Another big game.

With Cardiff playing Leeds and Wolves away at Sheffield Utd there is a chance that we could be within 4 points of the top 2 going into Saturdays game against bottom of the league Bolton. Things could look very different going into this international break than the last one

• Like 3

Burton screwed up our last bit of good form, and extinguished our faint playoff hopes last season. We owe them!

This will be one of their biggest games of the season. Definately won't be easy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Burton screwed up our last bit of good form, and extinguished our faint playoff hopes last season. We owe them!

No, we did that ourselves with an inept and overly defensive display. That 1-1 draw was a fair reflection of the game, iirc.

I suspect they will put 5 across the middle as they did at QPR yesterday. (much to the dislike of Ian Holloway). If they do that then I think we may struggle to break them down and it would require us to play a far more pressing game than we did yesterday.

No idea if we will win this one but I don't think we will lose. 

Edited by One For The Road

23 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No, we did that ourselves with an inept and overly defensive display. That 1-1 draw was a fair reclection of the game, iirc.

I suspect they will put 5 across the middle as they did at QPR yesterday. (much to the dislike of Ian Holloway). If they do that then I think we may struggle to break them down and it would require us to play a far more pressing game than we did yesterday.

Well done for not mentioning Bruce there!

Edited by Nigel
  • Haha 1

Personally I feel this will be the tougher game out of the three (Forest, BURTON and Bolton). Burton are a tough nut to crack at home and they'll be up for this one. They're solid at the back and have a fair bit of pace up top. I'm sure Bruce will make changes but hope it's not to radical. We need our best 11 on the pitch to get something out of this one and we need to perform better than we did against Forest. We play to our full potential and we should take all 3 points. Got feelin it will fin 1-1

I'd play 

Johnstone

Elmohamady---Chester---Terry---Taylor

Snodgrass---Onomah---Hourihane---Adomah

Davis---Kodija

And have a prepared bench if any tire from playing games so close together. I'd still start with these though and go at Burton with a positive attitude.

I'm going to say 3-1 Villa :flag:

giphy.webp

• Like 1

I'd play a similar team, but with either Hutton or Bree in ahead of Elmohamady and either Whelan or Doyle-Hayes for Onomah - I think we're approaching a point where a number of positions are now settled, either because TINA (for Taylor) or because they work, like the front two.

• Like 1

We have never lost to Burton having won at home (2-1) and drawn away (1-1) in our only two games against them which were played last season.

We need to win this one but Burton will relish the prospect of taking us on again so it will not be easy (it seldom is for us). A win would establish us as serious promotion contenders again. 2-0 would be nice!

As far as resting players is concerned I might bring in Onomah or Lansbury for Whelan and Bree for Elmohamady as well as bring off a couple if/when we have established a three goal lead ;) with one eye on the Bolton game.

14 hours ago, One For The Road said:

No, we did that ourselves with an inept and overly defensive display. That 1-1 draw was a fair reflection of the game, iirc.

Way to give Burton absolutely no credit. They were defensively resolute when we played them and it's always important to remember that there's another team playing. Yes, we may not have been up to much that game but they still stopped our streak at the time and deserve a bit of  respect. 

Only change I'd make is Whelan. For this game and in general. 

As said, the Bolt on game will be the easier of the two, that's when we should give others a start ideally, if possible. Some may be too tired to go again tomorrow night. 

A win here would make things very interesting.

You'd assume we'd beat Bolton at home on Saturday, so chances are we'd be in the top 6 by Saturday evening.

Which seems strange when I still don't think we've been playing very well.

11 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Surely the point of rotation is to rest tired legs. Those that played last night are likely to be tired on Tuesday so if we are to rotate then the Burton game makes most sense. 

I'm assuming most would be able to manage two games but not 3 in a week.  Bolton at home should be the easier game.  Maybe one or two changes, but I'd like us to keep the momentum going and another win, especially away, will bring a lot of belief and positivity to everyone - fans and players.