Pre match thread

roonst83

Bearing in mind if we have picked up lasting injuries from yesterday, I'd play

Johnstone

Elmo---Bree---Chester----Taylor

Lansbury---Hourihane---Doyle-Hayes

Snodgrass---Hogan---Adomah

And hope to see Jedinak get some minutes as a sub (And possibly Kodija)

Bree has played centre half, think he was there for some of the Wigan game.

I'd rather have Elmo at right back than Hutton if De Laet is not available.

We need energy and that's what Doyle-Hayes has, I like him, may be a bit early for some who may pick someone over him but with current injuries, I'd like to see him start.

Give Terry and Whelan a rest,

Just go for it, no excuses.

2-0 Villa win. :flag: two first touch Hogan slot-ins to the bottom corner, being assisted by Snodgrass and Adomah from each wing.

But I'll be happy with a deflection off the big toe of a Middlesborough defender in the 93rd minute.

lebronprimal.gif

Middlesbrough last lost at Villa Park in 2005. They have drawn two and won two of their four subsequent visits. I will always remember our 3-0 home win against them in 1981 that all but secured the title for us and their 2-1 home win against Ipswich the following week that did give us the title at Highbury. Overall we have beaten them 64 times, have lost to them 40 times and we have drawn 33 games. Let's make it 65 wins on Tuesday!

This is an early must win/must not lose game. It is as hard to see us winning this one after Saturday's result as it was to see us not winning that last game. We need this to be our second league win of the season so that we can start to move nearer to the top six than the bottom six. What we need and what actually happens might be different things but we need to select a side with a view to winning this game which if we are eventually to challenge for promotion we may see in May as having been a vital 6-pointer. Make it happen Villa!!       

Kind of glad I missed out on Saturday, instead, favouring a lovely evening/night of photography instead.

This game has an element of inevitability to it. Draw or lose (looking more likely) and I think the Doctor will call 'enough' rightly or wrongly. A win, scrambled, just papers over the cracks as I believe now, Bruce is a dead man walking. Nothing short of a Norwich/Wiganesque performance will give me any confidence to give him any more time. The season is already starting to look like a write-off and damage limitation yet again.

We go on a lot around here about how 'we have the players,' yet I ask the question, do we really? Are they really good enough?

We were good enough to batter League 1 Wigan, and a Norwich team that went and lost by 4 at home to Millwall the next week. That says more about THEM, than it does us.

It's been crap to be a Villa support for far too long. Sooner or later, things have to buck up. I'm already looking at next year, sorry. I can't see anything positive coming from this season I'm afraid.

51 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

We go on a lot around here about how 'we have the players,' yet I ask the question, do we really? Are they really good enough?

Yes. We do.

Look at our bench from the Brentford game:

Steer
Agbonlahor
Bjarnasson
Hogan
Jedinak
Lansbury
Snodgrass

Most teams at this level would struggle to have that much quality in their starting XI, let alone on the bench!

We've got one of, if not THE, best squads in the league. We should be right up there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes. We do.

Look at our bench from the Brentford game:

Steer
Agbonlahor
Bjarnasson
Hogan
Jedinak
Lansbury
Snodgrass

Most teams at this level would struggle to have that much quality in their starting XI, let alone on the bench!

We've got one of, if not THE, best squads in the league. We should be right up there.

Take out Chester, Jedinak and Kodjia and it's pretty crap all round to be honest. A load of bang average mediocre players, unproven kids and has been's all on huge wages.

Even if you don't think its the outright best, its still no worse than the current top teams in this league. 

Take out Zohore and Mendez-Laing at Cardiff and you are left with 'talent' like Junior Hoilet, Sol Bamba and Joe Bennet. Wolves are still lining up with Connor Coady and Matt Doherty.

You could look at any team in this league and label it as pretty crap all round. 

Anyway, no doubt Traore scores tomorrow to put the final nail in Bruce's coffin.

• Like 1

On 10 September 2017 at 13:45, OutByEaster? said:

We've got some interesting selection issues for Tuesday.

We've been playing a sort of 4-2-3-1 with:

-------------------GK---------------------

RB-------CB---------CB----------LB

------------DM-------DM-------------

RW------------AM----------------LW

------------------CF---------------------

But, with no Green, Grealish, Kodjia or potentially Davis - I'm not sure we'll be able to play that way.

I guess the following pick themselves (particularly Taylor who is our only left back)

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------------

RB---------Terry-------------Chester----------Taylor

------------------DM------------DM--------------------------

RW------------------------AM---------------------------LW

-------------------------------CF-------------------------------

I'm guessing he won't play Bree for two games in four days - and I'm not sure if DeLaet might be injured - he wasn't on the bench on Saturday. That means the Scottish Cafu - don't be surprised.

Onomah seems to start every game where he's fit, whether that's by choice or by contract, who knows - but again he's a young un and Bruce was making noises about his young players being tired on Saturday - I'm not sure he'll play - I think we might see both Jedinak and Whelan.

At RW, our best player for me is Adomah, although Snodgrass showed glimpses of being a good option - either of those will do for me - the manager will pick Elmohamady. 

The AM position is Hourihane's for my money - Lansbury and Onomah have a shout, but I think Hourihane gets the nod.

On the left wing is where things get tricky - Green and Grealish would be the first two options, so we're down to a straight choice between Bjarnason and Gabby - personally I'd put Bjarnason in from the start and bring Gabby on with half an hour left - I have a feeling the manager might do something with switching Snodgrass or Elmohamady over.

And then we're left with Hogan - playing up front on his own in a long ball side - as natural as James Corden on a scooter.

For me lots of that doesn't work. I don't know exactly what you change though - three at the back with Bjarnason and Elmohamady as wing backs, Lansbury brought into the middle for one of the defensive guys and Gabby partnering Hogan? Hardly mouthwatering is it.

We play a way that needs quick, attacking midfielders who can score goals and a big striker - those players are injured - this is going to be very tough.

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------------

Hutton---------Terry-------------Chester----------Taylor

------------------Jedinak------------Whelan-------------------

Snodgrass------------Hourihane-----------Elmohamady

-------------------------------Hogan------------------------------

An optimistic 1-1 with ours coming from a set piece.

As ever OBE you some up the issues perfectly. 

Would it be so crazy to swap drop Whelan, put Hourihane deeper and bring in OHare. He is the only player who has shown he can get the best out of Hogan. 

Personally I'd do that and try Adomah on the Left as I think he's a better player and no more a fish out of water there than Elmo is.

Anyway it obviously is crazy because just seen that OHare starts tonight against Southampton in U23

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Take out Chester, Jedinak and Kodjia and it's pretty crap all round to be honest. A load of bang average mediocre players, unproven kids and has been's all on huge wages.

Bollocks.

Without those three you're still left with

Johnstone

RDL, Terry, Samba/Bree/Elphick, Taylor

Adomah/Snodgrass, Whelan, Hourihane, Lansbury, Green/Grealish

Hogan/Davis

That's a good Championship XI on it's own (CB a bit dodgy I suppose).
When you add our 3 best players back in there it's very good squad.

Given that Green, Onomah and probably Davis are all out, the side almost picks itself.  I think given the opposition, Bruce will err on the side of caution.  I don't think Jedinak or Kodjia will be risked from the start, but I'd expect to see a cameo from the latter, assuming this evening's run-out for the U23s goes well.

f93315e219c18b83643b4759bbb820e4.png

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Bollocks.

Without those three you're still left with

Johnstone

RDL, Terry, Samba/Bree/Elphick, Taylor

Adomah/Snodgrass, Whelan, Hourihane, Lansbury, Green/Grealish

Hogan/Davis

That's a good Championship XI on it's own (CB a bit dodgy I suppose).
When you add our 3 best players back in there it's very good squad.

RDL has always been mediocre, Terry and Samba were finished a couple of years ago, Bree is unproven, Elphick is crap, Taylor is nothing special, Adomah is hit and miss but I forgot about him and I think he does a good job, Hourinane had half a good season for Barnsley and is a lazy luxury player, Lansbury has always been dodgy which is why he languished at a bottom half championship club for so many years after arsenal deemed him not good enough, Whelan is past his sell by date, Green is hit and miss (more miss), Grealish is a primma donna who flatters to deceive, Snodgrass is out of shape and has only mustered 74 games in 4 years, Davis is very raw and unproven, Hogan is injury prone and has so far shown bugger all in a villa shirt and is not worth £12m or £35000 grand a week.

6 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Adama is gonna be man of the match, it's just predictable. 

he will play the only good and goal scoring performance of the rest of his career, whilst Uncle Albert will fall over and break his turnips after 6 mins, if he even gets on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, KHV said:

RDL has always been mediocre, Terry and Samba were finished a couple of years ago, Bree is unproven, Elphick is crap, Taylor is nothing special, Adomah is hit and miss but I forgot about him and I think he does a good job, Hourinane had half a good season for Barnsley and is a lazy luxury player, Lansbury has always been dodgy which is why he languished at a bottom half championship club for so many years after arsenal deemed him not good enough, Whelan is past his sell by date, Green is hit and miss (more miss), Grealish is a primma donna who flatters to deceive, Snodgrass is out of shape and has only mustered 74 games in 4 years, Davis is very raw and unproven, Hogan is injury prone and has so far shown bugger all in a villa shirt and is not worth £12m or £35000 grand a week.

I've never seen so much shit in one paragraph.

Bruce is doing a pretty good job then if all that is true

I t

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Given that Green, Onomah and probably Davis are all out, the side almost picks itself.  I think given the opposition, Bruce will err on the side of caution.  I don't think Jedinak or Kodjia will be risked from the start, but I'd expect to see a cameo from the latter, assuming this evening's run-out for the U23s goes well.

f93315e219c18b83643b4759bbb820e4.png

Very good team, but Johnstone is hurt I believe. I'd also like to give Taylor a rest. RDL can play left back and has the pace to deal with Adama.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never seen so much shit in one paragraph.

Bruce is doing a pretty good job then if all that is true

Bruce is managing a team which is exactly where it should be. 

• Confused 1