Pre match thread

roonst83

We need a reaction. But 'Boro are a good side who are high on confidence and will be coming to VP to take all three points. Bruce's Brentford post match comments essentially admit he made mistakes in his selection and in-game decisions (quelle surprise) so he'll be scratching his head for his selection for Tuesday. 

Worried about out this one. A win seems highly unlikely as I think Bruce knows the potential severity a loss would do for his tenure so will go typically defensive and thus starving our forwards of any service and have us camped in our own, half giving the possession to the opposition again. 

The best managers get a reaction and are positive with their selection and approach when the chips are down. Remains to be seen if Bruce can ever be the manager for us. I doubt he can based on what I've seen but live in hope. Big game for us and for Bruce. 

13 hours ago, roonst83 said:

We need a reaction. But 'Boro are a good side who are high on confidence and will be coming to VP to take all three points. Bruce's Brentford post match comments essentially admit he made mistakes in his selection and in-game decisions (quelle surprise) so he'll be scratching his head for his selection for Tuesday. 

Worried about out this one. A win seems highly unlikely as I think Bruce knows the potential severity a loss would do for his tenure so will go typically defensive and thus starving our forwards of any service and have us camped in our own, half giving the possession to the opposition again. 

The best managers get a reaction and are positive with their selection and approach when the chips are down. Remains to be seen if Bruce can ever be the manager for us. I doubt he can based on what I've seen but live in hope. Big game for us and for Bruce. 

Boro are OK, theyve lost the same number of games as us this season, very beatable.

Dont really see the point in setting up to stifle them as a draw is near enough exactly the same as a defeat in terms of the aims of this season.

Agree with much of what you're saying, just frustrated we have such a pathetic attitude to this division given our personnel.

Boro are one of my picks for automatic promotion (the other being Leeds) so this will be a tough game for Villa under Bruce. He'll probably go ultra defensive again but I can't see anything other than a narrow defeat for Villa. 

We've got some interesting selection issues for Tuesday.

We've been playing a sort of 4-2-3-1 with:

-------------------GK---------------------

RB-------CB---------CB----------LB

------------DM-------DM-------------

RW------------AM----------------LW

------------------CF---------------------

But, with no Green, Grealish, Kodjia or potentially Davis - I'm not sure we'll be able to play that way.

I guess the following pick themselves (particularly Taylor who is our only left back)

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------------

RB---------Terry-------------Chester----------Taylor

------------------DM------------DM--------------------------

RW------------------------AM---------------------------LW

-------------------------------CF-------------------------------

I'm guessing he won't play Bree for two games in four days - and I'm not sure if DeLaet might be injured - he wasn't on the bench on Saturday. That means the Scottish Cafu - don't be surprised.

Onomah seems to start every game where he's fit, whether that's by choice or by contract, who knows - but again he's a young un and Bruce was making noises about his young players being tired on Saturday - I'm not sure he'll play - I think we might see both Jedinak and Whelan.

At RW, our best player for me is Adomah, although Snodgrass showed glimpses of being a good option - either of those will do for me - the manager will pick Elmohamady. 

The AM position is Hourihane's for my money - Lansbury and Onomah have a shout, but I think Hourihane gets the nod.

On the left wing is where things get tricky - Green and Grealish would be the first two options, so we're down to a straight choice between Bjarnason and Gabby - personally I'd put Bjarnason in from the start and bring Gabby on with half an hour left - I have a feeling the manager might do something with switching Snodgrass or Elmohamady over.

And then we're left with Hogan - playing up front on his own in a long ball side - as natural as James Corden on a scooter.

For me lots of that doesn't work. I don't know exactly what you change though - three at the back with Bjarnason and Elmohamady as wing backs, Lansbury brought into the middle for one of the defensive guys and Gabby partnering Hogan? Hardly mouthwatering is it.

We play a way that needs quick, attacking midfielders who can score goals and a big striker - those players are injured - this is going to be very tough.

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------------

Hutton---------Terry-------------Chester----------Taylor

------------------Jedinak------------Whelan-------------------

Snodgrass------------Hourihane-----------Elmohamady

-------------------------------Hogan------------------------------

An optimistic 1-1 with ours coming from a set piece.

I can foresee Bruce deploying 5 at the back again, but with both jedinak and whelan in front of them.

he'll go with

.......................steer

hutton.chester.samba.terry.taylor

..............whelan.jedinak

elomohamedy.............snodgrass

.........................Davis 

too scared of losing the game (and his job) so will set up 'defensively' hoping we nick a goal. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

.......................steer

hutton.chester.samba.terry.taylor

..............whelan.jedinak

elomohamedy.............snodgrass

.........................Davis 

Isn't the League Cup the following week?.. :P

• Haha 1

Felt he threw Davis under the bus a bit in his interview yesterday. Harsh.

I think we'll see the same back 5, with Elmo, Snodgrass, Whelan, Hourihane, Lansbury and Hogan. With nobody really know where they're meant to be playing.

0-0.

• Like 1

There is no way Bruce won't start Terry or Chester for a league game unless they are injured. I would like to give Adomah a run out against his old club, and Hogan will probably start since we have little other choice up top other than Gabby. Need to show more attacking intent, which is kind of against bruce's ideas.