• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

Not exactly given much of a chance and sometimes a club is not the right fit. Have you read the independent article about his time at Palace? Doomed from the start. 

Thing is De Boer needs time to implement his style. Do you really think he'll get that here? I can't see the fans putting up with another 3 or 4 losses in the first few games under a new manager.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

could we entice Sean Dyche or Eddie Howe

not a chance, and howe's only attempt at managing a club other than bournemouth did not end well. i live in the area and the guy has a job for life even if they go down (the exception being if they suddenly looked like going down to league one maybe)

31 minutes ago, Godders said:

Thing is De Boer needs time to implement his style. Do you really think he'll get that here? I can't see the fans putting up with another 3 or 4 losses in the first few games under a new manager.

If he looses the first 3 or 4 games thats a style Id rather not see implemented.

I don't know why people get themselves in such a tangle - a good manager wins games a poor one doesn't. Remi Garde and Houllier were both implementing a style but they could rarely win a game between them.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

If he looses the first 3 or 4 games thats a style Id rather not see implemented.

I don't know why people get themselves in such a tangle - a good manager wins games a poor one doesn't. Remi Garde and Houllier were both implementing a style but they could rarely win a game between them.

Change can sometimes take time before it pays dividends. 

I'd love DeBoer here but there is no way he'd drop down to the Championship.

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Change can sometimes take time before it pays dividends. 

I'd love DeBoer here but there is no way he'd drop down to the Championship.

Yeah Garde and Houllier said something similar...

Remi Garde inherited a woeful situation, so I think it's difficult to judge him. Houllier showed signs of promise throughout his season and it's a 'what if' scenario what would have happened if he hadn't had his health problems. I wouldn't touch De Boer though. 

I'm only writing this through the lens of how monotonous it is to see Villa never completely turn the corner: I can see it, we'll get a new manager, someone with a good record at their previous clubs. The curse that is on this team won't lift and we'll continue to be shit and have one chance, maybe from a corner or someone slipping, in a game, people will start turning on the new manager. 70% of fans will say they need more time, look at (the manager's) previous record. 30% will say it doesn't matter what happened in the past, all they care about is what's happened since they were Villa manager and they're clowns etc. As the curse that is Villa continues the percentages will shift until we're once again where we are now, where we have been many times: maybe the managers are really limited and somehow we have the super power of revealing it. We are the nut that never gets cracked. 

Er, my vote is Dean Smith. He's got a good record at Brentford. We should have signed Ollie Watkins too as he looked the best player on the pitch on Saturday. 

Will I waste money watching the game tonight? Nope. I've lost interest. I'll watch us again when I have delusional hope again. For now I have none for Villa. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

It does take time though. To build a brand new style of play, the new manager needs to explain to the players where he wants them to be in certain situations, what their roles are etc. These instructions will, invariably, be different to what SB has told them. So, the players need to practice until it's second nature. This is what takes time. For the first few games, the players need to consciously think about what they're supposed to be doing in situations they find themselves in on the pitch. This means play will appear, on occasion, slow and laboured, and players will be caught out of position. 

Eventually it should settle down as the players become used to the new style and what they're expected to do in any situation becomes second nature. The transition to a brand new style of play, or philosophy though, could very well be painful. 

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah Garde and Houllier said something similar...

Garde took over an impossible situation.

He might be an awful manager. I honestly don't know.
But I don't think we can conclude that he is from his time at Villa. Any manager in the world would have struggled in that situation. We were finished.

Houllier was doing ok. I think if his health hadn't deteriorated we'd have done well under him eventually.

• Like 1

Just now, Godders said:

It does take time though. To build a brand new style of play, the new manager needs to explain to the players where he wants them to be in certain situations, what their roles are etc. These instructions will, invariably, be different to what SB has told them. So, the players need to practice until it's second nature. This is what takes time. For the first few games, the players need to consciously think about what they're supposed to be doing in situations they find themselves in on the pitch. This means play will appear, on occasion, slow and laboured, and players will be caught out of position. 

Eventually it should settle down as the players become used to the new style and what they're expected to do in any situation becomes second nature. The transition to a brand new style of play, or philosophy though, could very well be painful. 

I suggest you dig out some press cuttings from the 70's & 80's - Ron Saunders never got tangled up in such Bullsit !   

Graham Taylor took us from relegation to div 1 (now prem) runners up in 3 seasons - both straight talking no bullshit managers ....

I have no problems with implementing a style - but that doesn't mean we accept being walloped every week and if a new manager comes in spouting a load of tosh such as above we may as well all just go home and forget it. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But I don't think we can conclude that he is from his time at Villa. Any manager in the world would have struggled in that situation. We were finished.

Houllier was doing ok. I think if his health hadn't deteriorated we'd have done well under him eventually.

1pt above the relegation zone with 30 odd games left ? - Garde made the situation impossible by his inability to win a football match.  How good was he ? - well where is he now ?  on the dole where he belongs useless pile of shite he was !

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

1pt above the relegation zone with 30 odd games left ? - Garde made the situation impossible by his inability to win a football match.  How good was he ? - well where is he now ?  on the dole where he belongs useless pile of shite he was !

I don't think you can say such things without acknowledging that we had won one game when he arrived and lost the previous six. That game we won, against Bournemouth, we should have lost—Bournemouth missed two absolute sitters. The team Garde inherited was in no shape for the Premier League. He also wasn't allowed to bring in any players in January. Only an actual wizard could have saved us that season and I don't think any of us have any idea if he had it in him to be a decent manager based on his time with us. Maybe he didn't have it in him, but for balance he definitely took over the worst situation of any Villa manager I know of. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

I suggest you dig out some press cuttings from the 70's & 80's - Ron Saunders never got tangled up in such Bullsit !   

Graham Taylor took us from relegation to div 1 (now prem) runners up in 3 seasons - both straight talking no bullshit managers ....

I have no problems with implementing a style - but that doesn't mean we accept being walloped every week and if a new manager comes in spouting a load of tosh such as above we may as well all just go home and forget it. 

If it were still the 70's/80's i'd agree.  In those days all you needed was a team with a good work ethic and little ability and you'd go far.

Unfortunately, times have changed and a group of hard working players with little talent just isnt enough these days.  You need a lot more talent than ever to get somewhere on top of the work ethic.

Currently i think we have the talent, sadly the work ethic is still not there.  My opinion would be that this is because we overpay our players reducing their motivation.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I don't think you can say such things without acknowledging that we had won one game when he arrived and lost the previous six. That game we won, against Bournemouth, we should have lost—Bournemouth missed two absolute sitters. The team Garde inherited was in no shape for the Premier League. He also wasn't allowed to bring in any players in January. Only an actual wizard could have saved us that season and I don't think any of us have any idea if he had it in him to be a decent manager based on his time with us. Maybe he didn't have it in him, but for balance he definitely took over the worst situation of any Villa manager I know of. 

Lets not forget that the board also blocked him from bringing in the backroom staff that he wanted.

Not saying he was any good (i actual dont rate him that highly) but i do agree that its unfair to judge him y his time at villa due to the situation he inherited and the constrainst imposed on him by the board.  It was clear he was promised far more support than he was given and that no doubt affected his performance too.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

We weren't outside the relegation zone when Garde took over.

Garde's first match in charge was the Man City game (our 12th league match - just for completion).

The game before was Spurs which we lost 3-1. Following the Spurs game, we were bottom of the league on 4 points after 11 games. Bournemouth were 17th on 8 points.

Mathematically it wasn't an impossible job, but I'm convinced that no manager could have turned us around.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

With one of the worst squads the league has ever seen, morale at rock bottom after a dreadful run because of his predecessor, and a board unwilling to give him any money or signings to help.

I'm not trying to say he did well. He did terribly. But it was a situation where any manager would have done terribly. We were doomed before he arrived.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He should have stayed off Villa Talk!