Best eleven?

villanwesty88

Would like to think we now have the players strong enough to play a 4-4-2 in this league.  

-------------------- Johnstone --------------------

Bree ------ Chester ---- Terry ------ Taylor

Elmo -- Lansbury -- Whelan -- Grealish

--------------- Kodjia --------------------------------
-------------------------- Hogan ---------------------

Think that's how i'd start (once Kodjia is fit) and use our two proper wingers, Adomah and Green as 'finishers' who can come on and really punish a tired defense.  Also the option to bring Jedi on for one of the strikers if we need to defend a lead.

Johnstone

Bree              Terry           Chester             Taylor

Wheelan 

Lansbury               Hourihane 

Adomah          Hogan          Kodija 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first couple of games have made me have a re-think about how I would choose my best starting eleven for occasions and we have all players fit or as we are now:

Now:

Johnstone or Steer

Bree         Chester          Terry          Taylor

Whelan          Onomah

Elmohamady       O'Hare                Green

Hogan

Subs: Steer or Johnstone, De Laet, Samba, Gabby, Lansbury, Adomah, Bjarnasson.

All Fit = Replace Hogan with Kodjia in the starting line-up. Hogan replaces Gabby on the bench. Jedinak replaces Samba.

I think that gives us a good mix of youth and experience throughout the team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

The first couple of games have made me have a re-think about how I would choose my best starting eleven for occasions and we have all players fit or as we are now:

Now:

Johnstone or Steer

Bree         Chester          Terry          Taylor

Whelan          Onomah

Elmohamady       O'Hare                Green

Hogan

Subs: Steer or Johnstone, De Laet, Samba, Gabby, Lansbury, Adomah, Bjarnasson.

All Fit = Replace Hogan with Kodjia in the starting line-up. Hogan replaces Gabby on the bench. Jedinak replaces Samba.

I think that gives us a good mix of youth and experience throughout the team.

It says something when the weakest link in that team is probably Green, a player with bags of potential just in need of confidence.

As much as it's against the flow of opinion, I haven't seen anything to suggest Bree should be starting ahead of Hutton yet. I feel Bree is put in most teams because he's not Hutton rather than what he offers. Besides, Hutton was one of our best players in first half against Hull.

Furthermore O'Hare is not ready to be an automatic starter. Promote him to the bench yes, give him a lot more game time certainly but let's not overhype yet another kid. He played ok/well in spells against a very weak opposition. That's all 90% of the fan base have seen of him! And in addition I certainly wouldn't want so much inexperienced youth as our sole attacking options - Green is far away from a finished article.

There are calls for LB signing to cover Taylor but more pressing is a starting LM/ Winger as we currently have no-one reliable there.

So with that in mind, assuming all fit (probably more a 4-1-3-2);

Johnstone

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Adomah Whelen Onomah Hourihane

Hogan Kodjia

With bench made up of likes of Steer, Green, O'Hare, Lansbury, Bree, Gabby and Samba

EDIT: I completely forgot about Elmo. Sod it, too many midfielders. Let's just have a team of midfielders...

Edited by jackbauer24

It's a hard one to pick a best eleven, but I would say probably;

Steer

Elmo   Whelan   Onomah   Adomah          

Hogan            Kodjia

but then Jedi is coming back too, De Laet may be a better option at RB, Green is really coming on (although not great against Colchester) and Adomah isn't a natural on the left. Onomah looks good, but that's based on little game time.

Its good that, other than RB as Hutton isn't great, the back four picks itself. That's a luxury we haven't had for a long time.

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

As much as it's against the flow of opinion, I haven't seen anything to suggest Bree should be starting ahead of Hutton yet. I feel Bree is put in most teams because he's not Hutton rather than what he offers. Besides, Hutton was one of our best players in first half against Hull.

Furthermore O'Hare is not ready to be an automatic starter. Promote him to the bench yes, give him a lot more game time certainly but let's not overhype yet another kid. He played ok/well in spells against a very weak opposition. That's all 90% of the fan base have seen of him! And in addition I certainly wouldn't want so much inexperienced youth as our sole attacking options - Green is far away from a finished article.

There are calls for LB signing to cover Taylor but more pressing is a starting LM/ Winger as we currently have no-one reliable there.

So with that in mind, assuming all fit (probably more a 4-1-3-2);

Johnstone

Adomah Whelen Onomah Hourihane

Hogan Kodjia

With bench made up of likes of Steer, Green, O'Hare, Lansbury, Bree, Gabby and Samba

EDIT: I completely forgot about Elmo. Sod it, too many midfielders. Let's just have a team of midfielders...

Hutton played well against Hull but Bree offers more for me and will only get better. Saturday was Huttons peak. Hopefully RDL can prove his fitness and stake a claim as he'll be the best option this year. Left side is now our weak point. No natural left footed winger and no cover for Taylor. We could do with a left footed Elmo! Address that and our team is sorted. OHare needs to be on the bench for now he needs testing. 

Its early days to be settling on form but here goes......all players being fit

4-2-3-1

Johnstone

Whelan Jedinak

Adomah Onomah Green

Kodjia

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its early days to be settling on form but here goes......all players being fit

4-2-3-1

Johnstone

Whelan Jedinak

Adomah Onomah Green

Kodjia

you are Steve Bruce and I win a goldfish

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

"Would you bet against us"?

put it this way

if I had a choice between Bruce (you)  or the Goldfish picking the team & tactics.

The Goldfish

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

put it this way

if I had a choice between Bruce (you)  or the Goldfish picking the team & tactics.

The Goldfish

er.....head /parapet

where's your call?

Steer

deLaet       Terry         Chester      Taylor

Jedinak 

Whelan     Onamoah

Adomah                                      Agbonlahor

Kodjia    

The defence still looks shaky, and Davis and Hogan look made for each other. So i would like to see the following. 

Steer

Bree    Chester     Terry     

Elmo            Whelan            Taylor

Onomah      Hourihane 

Hogan      Davis

Edited by av1

Steer

Bree   Chester Terry Taylor

Lansbury   Whelan(Interchange with Jedinak)

Elmohamady  Hourihane       Green

Davis(Kodjia when fit)

Â