The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

Theresa may saying she's spoken to people who lost bank cards, have no access to money and o ly the clothes on their backs. 

Wow. Maybe she should also spend time talking to those who have lost loved ones. Those who are still missed. 

Maybe if she was less focused on money and more on people this wouldn't have happened. 

Whoever is advising her currently is doing a shambolic job. 

It does seem as though there's a perfect storm brewing.  An opportunity to riot is going to appeal to a lot of different groups of people for a lot of different reasons at this point in time.

I hope they can somehow appease the crowd before it gets out of hand.  Go out and talk to them rather than treating them with the disdain they're so used to and which the establishment are so good at.

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Agreed, but then again the elements of society that will do tonights rioting will most likely have NO connection whatsoever with Grenfell. It'll be the anarchists and the usual lot out to "have some fun" off a horrible situation. It'll subtract from the actual problem.

I really hope that nothing happens, but I've got a bad feeling it's inevitable. You're right that people will join in, with ulterior motives, and unfortunately (for the situation), you're also right in saying it's going to distract from message.

Edited by dAVe80

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As I predicted, the anger is building.

I can see it getting ugly tonight.

There have been two videos on here both from the BBC with people spouting conspiracy theories - about deliberate arson and it being revenge on Muslims.

You have to ask, as someone already did, why the BBC would broadcast them, when they would not have let any right-wing nutter do the same following the Manchester or London Bridge atrocities.

This is a very irresponsible thing to do, and they will be culpable if it kicks off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, peterms said:

Can you believe she's done it again?

**** sake.. 

No one is expecting her to wave a magic wand and make everything go back to normal, but just stop and speak to those that just want to know everything will be okay in the end. They don't want a politician right now, they want a human, someone that cares, that has the power to hopefully make a difference and to push forward change.

Stop ignoring the people Theresa for **** sake. This is your job now start doing it. 

51 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The real problem right now is that this issue is turning into a political gains match rather than a debate on how things have gone wrong. I'm sure these materials have been used in both labour and tory council areas yet both parties are pointing fingers. Corbyn has used it to score political brownie points by poking at the rich, while Theresa couldn't get positive PR even if it hit her in the face. According to close friends in Kensington more than 1000 households have offered up rooms and beds, yet all we're hearing is how the rich and foreigners have bought up the area and left it empty. For a party the claims to be inclusive Labour sure are harping on about foreigners a lot right now.

Yes, some flats and higher end housing is bought up by foreign investors in Kensington. A vast majority of these flats and houses are rented out already, of which many have offered out free rooms and beds to the victims. Let's not turn this into a class war when it's about horrible slips in construction ethics.

You don't hear the major of Barcelona complaining that the tens of thousands of flats that are owned by foreigners in his city that stand vacant most of the year need to be "reclaimed for the homeless and poor". 

Not sure how Barcelona fits in, I mean unless they've had a secret tower disaster of their own.

Central bank money printing has lead to massive scramble for hard assets globally. The stable UK legal system makes London a prime location for parking money. But pretty much every large city globally has run into similar issues. We all remember voting for these money printing episodes right?

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

PM announces £5m emergency funds.  Victims are unimpressed.

You won't make this go away like that, Treeze.

Guess she found that magic money tree she spent the last few weeks banging on about.

It always about money with the Maybot isn't it, I doubt she has ever experience a human feeling. Apart from perhaps revulsion at being so close to the poor now and again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peterms said:

PM announces £5m emergency funds.

It's better to say "A substantial fund has been set up and I have personally instructed the immediate task force to oversee the Admin or whatever to make this work and work quickly for the people affected" (Get it a bit organised FFS)

Otherwise with a fixed number people start dividing it by something and comparing to the refurbishment costs or similar.  Dunno,  seems a bit "Here's 5 mill between you,  now STFU"

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 3

As much as I think the world needs to know what's happening, I do wonder if the media make things worse? Especially rolling 24 hour news, with the need to fill time.

• Like 3

They can't even get back into the building as it's not safe.  How are they meant to have done an investigation yet? And people storming a building at this point demanding justice. I get people are emotional, but what are they expecting to happen? Throw a random target under the bus, and probably end up blaming the wrong people. 

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

It does seem as though there's a perfect storm brewing.  An opportunity to riot is going to appeal to a lot of different groups of people for a lot of different reasons at this point in time.

I hope they can somehow appease the crowd before it gets out of hand.  

Weather forecast for the weekend is hot and humid. Always seems to go hand in glove with riots. 

• Like 2

Â