The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

I would suggest there is an obvious order of events here:

Resolve the life risks where families live and sleep, then, after that is completely fixed have a look at your office.

BBC

Parliament could burn down "any day", former minister Andrea Leadsom has warned as she urged MPs to "get on" with the renovation of the building.

Its the predicted cost of the renovation that baffles me - between 7 billion and 13 billion! How on earth did anyone come up with that?

Rebuilding Notre Dame will cost about half a billion. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its the predicted cost of the renovation that baffles me - between 7 billion and 13 billion! How on earth did anyone come up with that?

How the **** has it taken 5 years or something to renovate Big Ben. Like a lot of construction work in this country it's all a massive con for someone to make stupido amounts of money. 

Also see Midlands Metro works. Weeks and weeks of blokes in high viz hanging around with no discernible work actually happening for months. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's the cheap rate if MPs **** off for a few years while it's undertaken. It's expected to at least double if they insist on remaining in there while the work is done, and I've estimate is that instead of about a decade, it might take up to 70 years.

MPs appear to be insisting on staying put though. Funny what there's money for.

The total cost of building The Scottish Parliament, The Welsh Senedd and supporting Admin Buildings and transport infrastructure, the New Birmingham Library, the new Birmingham Univeristy Library, Spurs new ground and surrounding development, Cardiff Millenium Centre, Bodymoor Heath Training Ground, and Wyre Forest Council Offices, is less than £2 Billion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

How the **** has it taken 5 years or something to renovate Big Ben. Like a lot of construction work in this country it's all a massive con for someone to make stupido amounts of money. 

Also see Midlands Metro works. Weeks and weeks of blokes in high viz hanging around with no discernible work actually happening for months. 

You wanna see the figures for HS2, no contractors want to ever finish it.

Drove past Grenfell this afternoon. I couldn’t help but wonder when I see the building wrapped in a sign that says “Forever in our hearts”, what do the relatives of the deceased think when they see that and then see such a naked cover-up, lies, deception and profiteering off the back of the deaths of their friends and families. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 21/05/2022 at 10:34, Xela said:

On 21/05/2022 at 11:34, chrisp65 said:

The total cost of building The Scottish Parliament, The Welsh Senedd and supporting Admin Buildings and transport infrastructure, the New Birmingham Library, the new Birmingham Univeristy Library, Spurs new ground and surrounding development, Cardiff Millenium Centre, Bodymoor Heath Training Ground, and Wyre Forest Council Offices, is less than £2 Billion.

As Chris' answer suggests, the key is in two criminally stupid insistencies, the first being that MPs have to be able to stay and work in the building while the works happen and the second being that they need to replace every last bit of garbage Victoriana exactly as it is currently. The Scottish Parliament and Welsh Senedd are both far better buildings for the actual practical purpose of democratic legislating, but 'our' (Rees-Mogg et al's) insistence on 'heritage' means the ghastly monstrosity has to be preserved in aspic for time immemorial. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some extremely welcome news popped into my inbox today.  The email states (I've extracted the key bits):

"The decision means the Group will not pass on the costs to leaseholders for: 
•    any fire safety remediation works we undertake related to historic defects as defined by the Building Safety Act 2022   
•    work carried out relating to interim measures - this includes temporary alarm installations and evacuation management costs (such as Waking Watch). 

This will apply to all leaseholders, irrespective of the height of the building you live in.
... Our work in remediating the buildings affected by historic defects will continue alongside the developers and central government, but it will not be at leaseholder’s expense.  
... This will include the removal of unsafe cladding material, the replacement of wooden balconies, and work to replace missing or poorly installed cavity barriers and fire breaks. It will also include work carried out as emergency or interim measures, where a fire assessor of fire brigade has recommended immediate action. This would include things like having a “waking watch” ordered, or the installation of temporary fire alarm systems.
... Does this apply equally to Shared Owners and 100% leaseholders?  Yes, whatever your tenure of ownership with us, the impact of this will be the same.  You will be protected from costs.
... What if my building is covered by an External Managing Agent?  If you live in a building where Southern Housing Group is a head leaseholder, then this means that we don’t own the building itself, and don’t have responsibility for fire safety works. If work is required on your building, then this will be charged to us by the freeholder, and then we would normally recoup this from you via your service charge. With this announcement, you can be assured that you will enjoy the same protection from costs as leaseholders who live in buildings that we own". 

It has been a long time coming but thank feck for that! :hooray:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Excellent news @trekka

Must be a weight off your mind! 

Indeed! I can't wait for them to get on with the works now.  The building manager here thinks it will take 2 years to complete - I just want it done with, not only for safety peace of mind but also so that they can finally issue the EWS1 again (meaning I can staircase / sell my share if I wanted to). 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 21/05/2022 at 10:34, Xela said:

If the Greens are correct about climate-change, then London will very soon be underwater and the home counties will be a desert, so the capital should be moved to the North.

That is the only way they are going to achieve their goal of "levelling up".

A £13bn investment in the north, for starters, would do wonders.

We demand reparations - Now!

• 8 months later...

Seems like Spain is having its Grenfell moment. A 14 storey building totally engulfed and quickly spreading to the surrounding blocks. Composite panels already blamed. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Seems like Spain is having its Grenfell moment. A 14 storey building totally engulfed and quickly spreading to the surrounding blocks. Composite panels already blamed. 

Looked terrible earlier. The firefighters managed to rescue the two people trapped on the balcony.

It's insane. It's been known for 30+ years how flammable these panels are yet we just keep building with them. Even classing them as non flammable in some circumstances, but the fact is they'll all go up like tinder once a fire takes hold. 

We need to find new insulation materials. 

Â