Walsall a 18th July 19:45

limpid

4 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I don't get your point? We are playing very poorly and people are commenting on that. 

Fans have said there is no chance we are getting promoted. My point is I don't think you can judge that based on a couple of pre-season games. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fans have said there is no chance we are getting promoted. My point is I don't think you can judge that based on a couple of pre-season games. 

We are not. We are basing it on a very strong pattern over 8 months.

• Like 1

Agreed - the intensity is nowhere near the same because players don't want to get injured.

There are definitely concerning elements, though.  We looked incredibly comfortable (for the 30 minutes I watched) - Walsall did nothing.  However, we also did nothing.  Hmmmm.

I think the bit you are missing is that people are NOT just judging on a couple of preseason games. These games are just reinforcing what we already knew. That we are seriously lacking all over the pitch and as such talk of finishing in the top 6 appears crazy 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Agreed - the intensity is nowhere near the same because players don't want to get injured.

There are definitely concerning elements, though.  We looked incredibly comfortable (for the 30 minutes I watched) - Walsall did nothing.  However, we also did nothing.  Hmmmm.

The part where we do nothing is the worrying part.

Slightly better than Saturday… slightly!!

Terry light years ahead.

Samba deserves a contract.

The rest were dire to be honest. Lack of creativity Andy again no goals our major problem last season.

Hogan, McCormack, Gabby, Bjnardson, Green fill me with no confidence at all.

Yes it's a pre season friendly but it does matter. If a Pro Golfer keeps missing 4ft putts in practice rounds he's not suddenly going to start holing them under pressure at The Open. If our forwards don't get a taste of goals and at least chances in pre season they aren't suddenly going to do it when it matters. 

Seriously thinking has to be done up top, or else we'll be lucky to score more than last season. 

• Like 1

Thought Samba and Terry were solid.

When Lyden came on he did well in a short cameo and must be given more playing time.

Green's approach work is good but needs a lot of work on his final ball.

The rest were pretty poor again and the same issues that plagued last season remain.

Based on what I've seen so far the bookies making Villa favourites to win league or gain promotion are having a laugh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I think the bit you are missing is that people are NOT just judging on a couple of preseason games. These games are just reinforcing what we already knew. That we are seriously lacking all over the pitch and as such talk of finishing in the top 6 appears crazy 

I understand and there are definitely concerns. But things can change quickly in football.  I still believe we will be challenging for top 2. Maybe it's just crazy blind optimism but I honestly believe once we get a few wins when it actually counts things will change fast. 

Anyway we'll have to just wait and see.

I understand and there are definitely concerns. But things can change quickly in football.  I still believe we will be challenging for top 2. Maybe it's just crazy blind optimism but I honestly believe once we get a few wins when it actually counts things will change fast. 

I really hope you are right. But I rely on logic and reason as opposed to blind faith and in doing so I fear we are in for a tough season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok you write us off now. I'll wait until a few League games.

Expressing concern, based on around 40 games isn't really writing us off. It doesn't fill me with faith that things will be different but I'm open to the fact they might be. I'd just like to see something to provide me that faith. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They can but normally there are little signs that they might change. I don't see any sign of change and it's been more than just pre season.

I wasn't expecting the finished article in these games, I was expecting to see some signs of improvement, some indication that the problems have been seen and there are at least efforts to rectify them. 

I don't see any of that and that is valid reason to be concerned. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I really hope you are right. But I rely on logic and reason as opposed to blind faith and in doing so I fear we are in for a tough season.

I don't think there is logic and reason applying judgement to a season based on pre season friendlies. But based on how we looked last season and the fact you have yet to see us in a competitive game next season I totally understand why you would be concerned. 

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Expressing concern, based on around 40 games isn't really writing us off. It doesn't fill me with faith that things will be different but I'm open to the fact they might be. I'd just like to see something to provide me that faith. 

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

They can but normally there are little signs that they might change. I don't see any sign of change and it's been more than just pre season.

I wasn't expecting the finished article in these games, I was expecting to see some signs of improvement, some indication that the problems have been seen and there are at least efforts to rectify them. 

I don't see any of that and that is valid reason to be concerned. 

Fair points.

• Like 1

I don't think there is logic and reason applying judgement to a season based on pre season friendlies. But based on how we looked last season and the fact you have yet to see us in a competitive game next season I totally understand why you would be concerned. 

We are going round in circles. I am basing my concern on both last season and the fact that we don't look to have addressed many of those issues yet during preason.

• Like 1

Just now, One For The Road said:

We are going round in circles. I am basing my concern on both last season and the fact that we don't look to have addressed many of those issues yet during preason.

I understand. 

I'm also concerned if based on last season but I don't think we will know if issues are addressed until season starts. 

We'll leave it at that. :)

I understand. 

I'm also concerned if based on last season but I don't think we will know if issues are addressed until season starts. 

We'll leave it at that. :)

Well, if the season starts and we have addressed those issues then I too will be inclined to be more positive. Until that happens, I reserve the right to be very worried. 

• Like 2

This whole  "It's only pre-season" malarky is not getting past me that easily i'm sorry. Maybe if he joined at the end of the season then I would share that opinion too but he hasn't

The man has been at this club since 12th October 2016. This squad was assembled at the end of January. There is no excuse to have those players and not be able to set them up to attack in a friendly IF "It's only pre-season".

The first 25 minutes was okay we had fractions of decent play. The rest of the match like the last was poor, and his subs again.. were questionable.

We are going to Germany.. We go again..

Â