Walsall a 18th July 19:45

limpid

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

No penetration, can't even cross a ball into the box. Bjarnason to be fair hasn't been as horrific as last game but WTF does he do but run around? He's barely got involved

Most of his involvement has been to miss chances.

I thought the point of playing pre season friendlies was to work on playing style, tactics, pattern of play, just something. Whats the point of if we just stand still and do nothing, like we have been doing the last 10 months. Would be better off if we used the time to just do some pre season running. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Hmmm.... I'm off to start a thread in off topic called - 101 things I'd rather do than watch a Steve Bruce team plod through 90 mins on a Saturday. 

Its Tuesday

Kodjia, Adomah, Jedinak, Chester & Hutton were arguably our top 5 performers last season. None of them started this evening.

The positives this evening were Green, Bree, Terry & to some degree even Samba.

But it was a dull match. No denying that. 

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

Kodjia, Adomah, Jedinak, Chester & Hutton were arguably our top 5 performers last season. None of them started this evening.

The positives this evening were Green, Bree, Terry & to some degree even Samba.

But it was a dull match. No denying that. 

Having just got back, I have to say that in my humble opinion Green and Bree were the worst players on the pitch ..... both complete lightweights who contributed nothing all game !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Having just got back, I have to say that in my humble opinion Green and Bree were the worst players on the pitch ..... both complete lightweights who contributed nothing all game !

Not surprising considering how young they are! It's the nature of the beast that they will be brilliant one day and invisible the next.

• Like 1

Far too much safe passing from the midfield tonight, outside of the opening 15 minutes.

Lansbury was particularly guilty, he should be grabbing the ball at this level and dominating.

he has so much more in his locker than trying to spray 40 yard passes accross the pitch. Want to see him 20/30 yards forward making things happen.

its no coincidence that the 1st half against Brighton at home last season we played some fantastic stuff when he was breaking ahead of the forward line. We need much more of this and less of tonight's safe game!

• Like 1

Tonight I saw that

GK - didnt have a shot of note to save

Defence - Terry is class, and showed a willingness to learn hoofing once his passing to MFers reaped no reward. Samba can win headers but quick movement of players or the ball shows he's not worth bothering with Chester Terry Baker & Jedi are all better defenders. Bree needs experience around him to learn quicker & better.

Midfield - Lansbury is wasted as a DM (what is the difference between hoofing from the backline and trying to hit a 30/40yrd pass 10yrds further forward?) No carrying or interchanging from MF. Too many square/backpasses because the build up play is too slow and little movement up front

Attack - Thor is another version of Hutton, commendable that he gets into position but is then as shit as Hutton is at doing something that comes to nothing.

Overall - We still cant retain possesion from a throw in. Play pattern appears to be as random as ever, pass it around till we are sure that nothing is on then hoooooooooooof.

There appears to be no progression in our play. No intent to dominate play or dictate the game.

No signs if a top 2 side or playoff contenders.

After the concerns stated during last season by many posters there was the outcry for time & patience as the managers and players needed a preseason. Well preseason is here and the concerns stated during last season by many posters are being pointed out again so there is now the outcry that preseason doesnt matter only the league games.

I wait with baited breath after the first few games when the concerns stated during last season and preseason by many posters what the outcry will be.

• Like 2

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first half of the game. I will watch the 2nd half tomorrow.

Not knowing what Bruce wanted the team to work on during the game, I thought the balance with the 4141 was pretty good. The team defended very well as a unit and only saw a couple of times when players were out of position. Hansbury was caught out a couple of times when he pushed on too quickly and too close to players without much of a chance of getting the ball. The ball was moved quickly around him and that is where Walsall's chance came from. If Bruce wanted them to focus on defending as a team, then I think the team succeeded.

On the attacking side of things, I felt Gabby held the ball up well and brought players into the game. The balls from out wide weren't the best but I think if some of the chances hadn't of fallen to someone who had been out for nearly a season, and a few games back into his recovery we may have scored.

Green, even though he can be exciting, he needs to learn when to release the ball. He took some good positions but when he received the ball, he was too slow to release the ball or picked the wrong pass. He needs more time and I look forward to his future. I would like to see the crosses delivered into the box a little bit quicker and not allow teams to get back into position.

It was good to see center mids making moves into the box and the lone forward not being isolated. There was good delivery from corners, and I think we will score some goals this season from them if he can keep it up.

I believe the ref got the call wrong on Terry's goal. Samba was being held around the waist and it seems the ref called it on him. 

I would like to see us pull defenses further up the field at times and feed balls in behind them and get them on the back foot. We play a lot in front of them and give them too much time to get set. 

Yes, there we sloppy passes, some confusion, but when you are learning something new then there are going to be mistakes but certainly some positives along with the negatives. Onto the second half. :)

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Tonight I saw that

Defence - Terry is class, and showed a willingness to learn hoofing once his passing to MFers reaped no reward. Samba can win headers but quick movement of players or the ball shows he's not worth bothering with Chester Terry Baker & Jedi are all better defenders. Bree needs experience around him to learn quicker & better.

Midfield - Lansbury is wasted as a DM (what is the difference between hoofing from the backline and trying to hit a 30/40yrd pass 10yrds further forward?) No carrying or interchanging from MF. Too many square/backpasses because the build up play is too slow and little movement up front

Attack - Thor is another version of Hutton, commendable that he gets into position but is then as shit as Hutton is at doing something that comes to nothing.

Overall - We still cant retain possesion from a throw in. Play pattern appears to be as random as ever, pass it around till we are sure that nothing is on then hoooooooooooof.

There appears to be no progression in our play. No intent to dominate play or dictate the game.

No signs if a top 2 side or playoff contenders.

After the concerns stated during last season by many posters there was the outcry for time & patience as the managers and players needed a preseason. Well preseason is here and the concerns stated during last season by many posters are being pointed out again so there is now the outcry that preseason doesnt matter only the league games.

I wait with baited breath after the first few games when the concerns stated during last season and preseason by many posters what the outcry will be.

Hey GH, don't get to excited but I watched 15 mins of this match before I went to work this morning, and I have to say I was blown away by the way we were playing. It was poor and it was sad to watch. 

However I'm still holding faith in the big picture and will have to hope my faith in Bruce in knowing what he is doing. 

But...... If that is the way we are going to play this season then I can't see us succeeding. 

I must say I am a little concerned and surprised. 

I will have to start saving my £10 just in case.

Really thought in pre-season we would be attempting to take the game to the opposition, who cares if we lose but do it with style. 

I still can't believe that Bruce sends the players out to play like that, but as a coach myself in a different sport, I do believe the buck eventually stops with him. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Tonight I saw that

Awesome, another new signing.

5b7f875bae5cb3e6f881581d12e80697--victor

Â