General Election 2017

ender4

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

How does that work? "Pollsters" isn't a single entity. There are lots of companies producing lots of different results.

Are you saying that no poll, at any point has been within four points of a result?

Considering pretty much every poll now and previously covers the full gamut of results short of a Plaid Cymru majority I'd say that it's statistically very unlikely that "pollsters haven't been within 4 points of a result since 1979".

Sorry, half concentrating on posting and half on a sleep dodging child, poorly worded post.

Here is the article, 

POLLSTERS often complain that they are not remembered when right, and thoroughly abused when wrong. But British polling firms ought to be exempt from sympathy. Since 1979 they have mismeasured the difference between the Conservatives and Labour, the all-important general-election statistic, by an average of 4 percentage points. In the most recent general election, held in 2015, the final polls missed the result by a shocking 6.6 points—provoking an existential crisis among pollsters and a thorough inquiry by the British Polling Council into their failings. In their next trial, less than a week away, they may once more underperform.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/06/polls-polls-polls

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my understanding is the polls dont work because they dont actually reflect the voting demographic, the biggest poll i think is yougovs online poll, the biggest voting demographic is the over 65s, at a guess how many of the over 65s do you think are doing an online poll? and the over 65s largely vote tory

That's sort of their job, and their challenge.

They don't just go out, pick two dozen people, ask them what they think, publish the results and head down the pub.

They're trying to build models that incorporate all the things that means that the data they've collected might be wrong. 

The differences in the polls now (four point versus twelve point lead) is all to do how different models are interpreting the various data and deciding how much weight to give the things you mention. Should they assume that 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 percent of the people who say they're going to vote Labour are actually going to bother?

And that's one of a hundred different things they're building into their assessment and a reason why it's difficult to get right.

Edited by ml1dch

Just now, VillaChris said:

Hate the way she just bluntly says No when she disagrees with a question or POV.

Cameron far more tactful when dealing with questions. Looks like another leftie crowd in tonight. 

Lot's of people are clapping her. Seems like people are clapping at everything, it's pretty annoying.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't think I've disliked a British politician this much ever. Absolutely vile.

There is nothing likeable about her but she doesn't even get remotely within the same league as the witch that was Thatcher.

• Like 4

None of this makes an iota of difference. The Daily Mail readers will just think people are being horrid to her, and vote for her regardless. 

It's every bit as tribal as football. 

• Like 2

Â