General Election 2017

ender4

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Well he was at a well attended labour rally in Birmingham last night. I wouldn't call Birmingham a Labour stronghold. So you might need a rethink on that one

I've always thought (maybe i'm wrong) that Brum is a Labour stronghold. I'm pretty sure Labour has had control of Brum City Council for the majority of the time it has been formed. 

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've always thought (maybe i'm wrong) that Brum is a Labour stronghold. I'm pretty sure Labour has had control of Brum City Council for the majority of the time it has been formed. 

ly01ImK.png

That's Birmingham there, just 'left of centre' :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sugar left the party when Ed Miliband became leader so I'm not really sure he's jumping on a bandwagon "now" as such

I know the background Tony, the 'Tory train' comment was in reference to him actively telling people to vote Tory recently.  I've got no issue with him turning Tory, he's a rich selfish business man, It's pretty much accepted. 

My issue is, him leveraging his 'working class roots'. He would never have voted Tory back when was working class and it pisses me off that he's doing it, knowing full well that working class people will not be better off under the Tories. It's bollocks, but the sort of thing the average guillable Gary will swallow. 

I don't know why it's winding me up so much tbh, but it is. I think the impending sense of doom is clouding my thinking! 

One slight glimmer of hope for ye is the fact that Labour win the personality contest this time. I recall last election that an idiot footballer from the roughest part of Liverpool in Jon Walters voted tory on the basis of Ed Miliband being so pathetic (look natural Ed etc.). Just an example but I still maintain that Miliband's weirdness cost Labour massively last time, the tables have turned this time with May being seen as an empty coward while Corbyn has been very good at communicating with the public and he has substance as a person regardless of your opinions of him. It might be enough to get Labour close.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Fair enough.

Why though?

I have always found the Labour party to be reckless spenders of public finances.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Hasn't Birmingham generally split? The inner city areas generally vote Labour, the outskirts and surrounding areas go Tory?

80 of the 120 councillors are currently Labour

Of the 29 tories, 11 are in Sutton Coldfield (out of a possible 12!) and 3 in Edgbaston. 

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

ly01ImK.png

That's Birmingham there, just 'left of centre' :)

That map is quite telling isn't it?

I didn't realise that so many rich people lived in the UK as only the well off would vote tory...

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

One slight glimmer of hope for ye is the fact that Labour win the personality contest this time. I recall last election that an idiot footballer from the roughest part of Liverpool in Jon Walters voted tory on the basis of Ed Miliband being so pathetic (look natural Ed etc.). Just an example but I still maintain that Miliband's weirdness cost Labour massively last time, the tables have turned this time with May being seen as an empty coward while Corbyn has been very good at communicating with the public and he has substance as a person regardless of your opinions of him. It might be enough to get Labour close.

The way Corbyn has turned things around is quite remarkable really. It's almost the very definition of zero to hero. From derided on all sides, to rapidly becoming a major cult hero. 

A bit like Bernie Sanders in a way (obviously, he never made it to the election, but the parallels are there in terms of strong grass root support), it makes you wonder what might have happened if he'd had the backing of his party from the start. 

If Corbyn had been backed by the senior members of the party and hadn't had to overcome all the opposition from his own side, they could have walked this. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

The way Corbyn has turned things around is quite remarkable really. It's almost the very definition of zero to hero. From derided on all sides, to rapidly becoming a major cult hero. 

A bit like Bernie Sanders in a way (obviously, he never made it to the election, but the parallels are there in terms of strong grass route support), it makes you wonder what might have happened if he'd had the backing of his party from the start. 

If Corbyn had been backed by the senior members of the party and hadn't had to overcome all the opposition from his own side, they could have walked this. 

I think  therein lies the problem

9 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

A bit like Bernie Sanders in a way (obviously, he never made it to the election, but the parallels are there in terms of strong grass route support), it makes you wonder what might have happened if he'd had the backing of his party from the start. 

The results aren't in yet , bit early to say he's turned it around :)

i guess where it becomes interesting is where the labour candidate was campaigning almost as if Corbyn didn't exist ... if that person wins his seat will it be claimed as a victory for Corbyn ? 

12 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

In the same way Prime Minister Miliband did ? 

I think his party haven't helped him but to say he'd have walked it is like me saying I could have had a threesome with Talyor Swift and Ana de Armas .. it's wishful thinking and slightly deluded 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i guess where it becomes interesting is where the labour candidate was campaigning almost as if Corbyn didn't exist ... if that person wins his seat will it be claimed as a victory for Corbyn ? 

That's it the polls are only an indicator and cant be taken too seriously 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Ha yes, fair point. You have to give to him though, the general perception of him has shifted far more positively than I think most people thought it would? I think that's where I draw the Bernie Sanders comparison from, mocked by many of his peers and the media, but out in the real world, he had a ground swell of really passionate support.  

Good point on the second bit, I suppose it depends on the reason people vote for labour in that constituency. I'm voting for national leadership, local MP very much a secondary consideration. 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

I didn't realise that so many rich people lived in the UK as only the well off would vote tory...

you're ignoring that cities are much more densely populated! Almost all large city areas - Birmingham, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield/Leeds/surrounding areas, Newcastle, Sunderland, Cardiff/Swansea, Leicester, Nottingham, Bristol vote Labour.

Edited by a m ole

4 hours ago, jon_c said:

You know that's a parody account? It's about how bland (yet stable) politics would have been if Milliband had won the election. 

I thought that was his twitter account :crylaugh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

In the same way Prime Minister Miliband did ? 

I think his party haven't helped him but to say he'd have walked it is like me saying I could have had a threesome with Talyor Swift and Ana de Armas .. it's wishful thinking and slightly deluded 

Different man, different time. 

Let's see what the result is on Friday morning. I fully expect the Tories to win, but I think their majority will be cut. 

If that happens, I'll stand by my comment. Because if he can do that from where he was 12 months ago, with virtually no senior support from within his own party, then I think with a fully supportive senior cabinet behind him from the start, Labour would have won. 

If it doesn't, I'll admit to being delusional and donate £10 to VT :thumb:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Tiries are very very very good liars. Most people I spoke to voted Tory because they are seen as trustworthy, people believe what they read and the two biggest papers help feed that. We don't live in a reql democracy. 

Â