General Election 2017

ender4

45 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

You could well be right. I'm definitely not a professional money-counter.

Edit - although my reading of it is that the home would be double-counted. Husband has a £425,000 threshold (including home), he leaves that to her, she then passes leaving her £425,000 threshold (including home) added to his which can be carried over.

I imagine a professional will be along shortly to clarify...

I think that's right.  There's no IHT between husband and wife, and the value of any unused threshold can be passed from one to the other.  £325K if it doesn't include a house, £425K if it does.  Obviously reduced if there are any other assets other than a house.

I'm probably leaning towards Labour now... if I could have a guarantee that Abbott and McDonnell wouldn't be involved in a Labour cabinet then I would definitely go red for the first time!

17 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've just stuck a tenner on Labour winning the most seats.

gorra feelin, just gorra feelin

Hope it's a big win as you'll need it once Jezza bleeds you dry :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I've got no sympathy for him if he's on £150k

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm probably leaning towards Labour now... if I could have a guarantee that Abbott and McDonnell wouldn't be involved in a Labour cabinet then I would definitely go red for the first time!

Abbott I can see and I seriously doubt she would be HS. She would be put into minor role where she couldn't cause much damage.

McDonnell though, don't get the dislike there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Not by an awful lot though - personal allowances allow you to get 11k tax free (approx) - So if you inheriting £425k - you would be still be liable on £414k. 

I don't know - but I wouldn't have thought that there is that many people with £400K+ waited to be handed down. 

Anyway I don't think it is being taxed significantly differently from someone who earns £425k 

You clearly don't understand how it works

Currently, the threshold is £325k, (or £425k if it includes a house). No tax is paid on that amount, It's the value above that which is taxed

What I was proposing was a completely different system, whereby each individual's inheritance is taxed above a certain threshold (say 100k) according to that individual's personal income for the year. So everyone gets £100k free of tax and the rest is taxed according to the individual's income tax allowances for that year. i.e. it is treated as income as essentially that is what it is

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Just like voting leave, I think many Labour voters are accepting that some things are worth it.

Edited by brommy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I've got no sympathy for him if he's on £150k

didn't the manifesto say £80k ? Or are you Diane Abbott and haven't read the document :)

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

£85k, you are Philip Hammond and I claim my £5 :D

He is my MP funnily enough ... but fairly sure it's £80k ... by fairly sure I mean I've just been online and read the page in their actual manifesto 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Abbott I can see and I seriously doubt she would be HS. She would be put into minor role where she couldn't cause much damage.

McDonnell though, don't get the dislike there.

Oh I get the dislike, He's a complete and utter bully

I'm sure I just heard Gibbon on C4 saying that May was going to make a speech and go for the 'leave the ECHR/bin the HRA' vote. :rolleyes:

I was popping in and out of the room, though, so I may have got that wrong.

Edit: Not too far wrong, "We'll change our human rights laws so they don't stop us from doing it". Didn't catch whether she said precisely what the it was. Something about cats, maybe?

Edited by snowychap

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I think that's right.  There's no IHT between husband and wife, and the value of any unused threshold can be passed from one to the other.  £325K if it doesn't include a house, £425K if it does.  Obviously reduced if there are any other assets other than a house.

That is what I was told when I went with my mom and brother to the solicitors 7 or 8 years ago. No idea if Labour are going to scrap that. 

Â