• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Any more on this? A lot of people saying it sounds unlikely, but why would this info be coming out if there wasn’t a grain of truth in it? Odd.

I agree its highly unlikely, could just be wild rumours spread amongst demoralised russian military

Not seen much more on it yet

Hilarious reporting from TASS 

http://go.tass.ru/jGCrA

“The Russian troops stationed at Balakleya and Izyum have been regrouped and redeployed to the Donetsk direction in order to step up efforts there, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov told reporters”

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details

It really does look like something absolutely massive is going down this weekend. That Mike Martin guy who has been pretty reliable throughout thinks this could be a war ending manoeuvre as they’re now threatening to encircle the Russians in the south. Just extraordinary.

Fingers firmly crossed.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

I'm starting to wonder if the Russian Army is totally collapsing from within? I haven't been keeping up to date with news the last week or two, but it seems incredible how quickly Ukraine are taking ground now. Obviously, they've been preparing for this offensive for some time but the manor of the Russian defensive lines collapsing seems a little strange. It's like they've got to the stage where they have just had enough. 

If the chain of command is falling apart on the ground how long before the repercussions are felt in Moscow I wonder? Some might be feeling a little concerned.   

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm starting to wonder if the Russian Army is totally collapsing from within? I haven't been keeping up to date with news the last week or two, but it seems incredible how quickly Ukraine are taking ground now. Obviously, they've been preparing for this offensive for some time but the manor of the Russian defensive lines collapsing seems a little strange. It's like they've got to the stage where they have just had enough. 

If the chain of command is falling apart on the ground how long before the repercussions are felt in Moscow I wonder? Some might be feeling a little concerned.   

That collapse has been precipitated by lots of Ukrainian attacks on supply lines, bridges, pontoon crossings, ammo stores, etc etc. I don’t think it’s purely Russian incompetence, but more that the Ukrainians have worked out how to cause maximum disruption with their attacks, and then taken advantage of weaknesses. Probably guided by state of the art Nato intel.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

That collapse has been precipitated by lots of Ukrainian attacks on supply lines, bridges, pontoon crossings, ammo stores, etc etc. I don’t think it’s purely Russian incompetence, but more that the Ukrainians have worked out how to cause maximum disruption with their attacks, and then taken advantage of weaknesses. Probably guided by state of the art Nato intel.

Yeah, I realise Ukraine have played a bit of a blinder with the attacks in the south cutting of supply lines, logistics etc. Allowing the Russians to think this was where the initial counter offensive would be. I'm more questioning what Russia have been doing in in taking ground. It's like they never had any intention of holding what they occupied, and have now been exhausted to the point whereby only retreating will save them. I suppose the speed that the offensive is moving at is what is most surprising.  Great stuff though. 

• Like 1

Surely SURELY soon people are going to have to deal with Putin internally. A lot of talk at the start of this was how a Russian leader HAS to look strong. 

Right now he's looking like a weak leader. 

Somebody somewhere is going to be emboldened to do something soon surely? 

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Pinch of salt time but there are Russian telegram channels reporting that Ukraine have taken Donetsk Airport. That seems somewhat incredulous but there are multiple Russian sources.

Donestsk Airport has been under RUssian control since 2015 and had two huge battles there. If they have retaken it, that is massively symbolic

It also means Ukraine are pushing forward in a completely different direction again

But like I said, pinch of salt

Where is Donestsk airport on the map?
The Russians already controlled it in 2015?  Like just after they took Crimea?

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Where is Donestsk airport on the map?
The Russians already controlled it in 2015?  Like just after they took Crimea?

Just outside Donestsk itsitself, which is due north of Maruipol, so whilst Ukraine were attacking in Kherson and Kharkiv they effectively opened a third active front sort of south of the middle bit in the East that they already controlled

Yes there were two previous battles of Donestsk airport so it's recapture is somewhat symbolic, there are wiki pages dedicated to the two battles, the second finished in early 2015 with the Russians controlling the airport and the Ukrainians retreating

• Thanks 1

Â