Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Poland seem intent on poking the wounded bear with a stick. 

Or Russian troops murdering civilians by the hundred means things need to be stepped up. 
I’m not saying it right, but it might be that the west watching on can’t just ignore these kind of acts.

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

45 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Its not the move. Hopefully US see it that way too.

A lot of things are being said by various countries at various times throughout this conflict,  what is said and by whom about what is or should be tightly controlled by the main countries in the West (US / UK).  (I say these 2 as they know what is going on before even Putin does).

The comments hopefully designed to keep the Kremlin nicely of balance and where the West drives the narrative our side.  From the Kremlins point of view,  I think they will have a go at the south but I think they are looking for an out especially now the war crime stuff is out and will I fear get worse.  The threat to turn off the gas was what,  a threat of last resort with no basis in reality(Its technically/financially quite difficult to get it off and then back on) .  They are finished and they know it,  tanks and better surface to air defense are right around the corner.  There is no viable defense to a Starstreak missile (Chopped up the chopper last week),  none at all. 

We know where the Russians are going,  Ukraine might as well kill them all if possible,  no deal will be adhered to by Russia long term and these "Soldiers" cannot be allowed to dance around Red Square at any time in the future after their behavior IMO.  Maybe Russia needs to be reminded of these crimes every day for the next 40 years as its not a few bad apples its almost all of them.  Maybe the barrel itself is rotten and diseased,  I believe it is now.  It's all very 1930's from Russia. 

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If we were one border over from Russia with no deterrent, I'd be open to pretty much anything at the moment. Considering the absolute horrors happening to Poland's neighbours, I'm not surprised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60941091

Sunflower oil: UK bottler has a few weeks' supply left

The biggest cooking oil bottler for UK shops has said it only has a few weeks' supply of sunflower oil left.

Ukraine and Russia produce most of the world's sunflower oil and the war is disrupting exports, said Edible Oils.

The company, which packages oil for 75% of the UK retail market, is ramping up supplies of other oils for shoppers.

Meanwhile, manufacturers of foods that contain sunflower oil, like crisps, oven chips and cereal bars, are reworking their recipes.

Kim Matthews, commercial director at Edible Oils said 80% of the global supply of sunflower oil comes out of Russia and Ukraine.

"So obviously, with everything going on out there, we physically can't get sunflower to be coming out of the country." he said.

An amusing detail is how the article confirms that whatever brand of sunflower oil you buy, it's probably from this same company.

51 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think they are looking for an out especially now the war crime stuff is out and will I fear get worse.

I think that gives them less reason for an out and gives the military even less reason to enforce regieme change. The Generals are not more tied to Putin as they are just as culpable for the crimes as he is, they now need each other more than ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It's not really surprising that Poland, which borders Kaliningrad, Belarus and Ukraine has a very different perspective from the US & Western Europe. They've accommodated many more refugees, have much more experience of Russian aggression, and are faced with a more immediate threat.

I guess Biden's job is to manage that carefully - ensure Poland feels defensively secure, and incentivise them to act in the broader interests of NATO and Europe. So far, I think he's got the balance right, but a lot will depend on what Putin does next.

19 hours ago, bickster said:

(If true) Amusing stupidity

Metro (though I think originaly in the Torygraph

Very stupid. But it must be said that it was very stupid also of Ukraine to spend the last ten years arming Russia, especially post Crimea. Smedley Butler might have had something to say about that. 

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think that gives them less reason for an out and gives the military even less reason to enforce regieme change. The Generals are not more tied to Putin as they are just as culpable for the crimes as he is, they now need each other more than ever

What a nice group of people they are.  They will never pay either which is a shame.

The UN has more than enough ammunition to send in peace keeping troops after what is uncovered in now liberated areas. It isn’t even a doubt that without serious intervention hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians will get raped, murdered and sadistically tortured.

The world needs to act, even China and India.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

The UN has more than enough ammunition to send in peace keeping troops after what is uncovered in now liberated areas. It isn’t even a doubt that without serious intervention hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians will get raped, murdered and sadistically tortured.

The world needs to act, even China and India.

Good point,why is the UN not sending in a peace keeping force?

Something must be done,these Russians are acting worse than animals ( and thats an insult to animals )

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

From the Kremlins point of view,  I think they will have a go at the south but I think they are looking for an out especially now the war crime stuff is out and will I fear get worse

I know nothing, other than what's in the media and stuff, but reading that, and looking at maps and wotnot, Russia seems to have control over most of the coast, most of the areas in the south east near the territory they already occupied. And they seem to be regrouping forces in those areas, while weakening Ukraine's in the same places, and terrorising the cities there. So it looks like they will grind that area to dust and then occupy it and then perhaps "settle" from that position, having grabbed complete control of the coast and far South east. I don't really see how that can be stopped under the current set of circumstances around aid for Ukraine, sanctions and so on, for as long as Putin remains in power.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

but the UN hiding from this, is truly shocking

Have as think about who two of the permanent members of the UN Security Council are

Russia needs to have it's place on the SC revoked

• Like 3

Â