Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

(If true) Amusing stupidity

Vladimir Putin is said to be running out of missiles, tanks and aircraft, because the parts they rely on are made in Ukraine.

The engines of Russian military helicopters and key components for warships, cruise missiles and the majority of the nation’s fighter jets are all made in Ukrainian factories, the Telegraph reports.

The factories, which also produce parts for tanks and ground to air missiles, no longer supply Mr Putin’s army.[...]

The T-72 battle tank is one of the Russian army’s main armoured vehicles but, parts for it are understood to be manufactured in Izyum, an eastern Ukrainian city that Mr Putin’s forces have failed to capture.[...]

It is also believed that Russia will be unable to restock its Kh-55 cruise missiles, which are launched from the air and have the ability to carry nuclear warheads, because they too rely on imported components.

The Kh-55 is used by Russia, China and Iran, and uses an engine manufactured in Kharkiv,[...]

Metro (though I think originaly in the Torygraph

• Like 2

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

Vladimir Putin is said to be running out of missiles, tanks and aircraft, because the parts they rely on are made in Ukraine.

The engines of Russian military helicopters and key components for warships, cruise missiles and the majority of the nation’s fighter jets are all made in Ukrainian factories, the Telegraph reports.

This sounds exactly the kind of thing Boris Johnson would expose us to. 

• Like 1

The images coming out of the now liberated Bucha are horrendous. In one street they’ve found 14 shot civilian men, many of them with hands tied behind their back, along with an open mass grave full of dead civilians. SS-esque this. Putin has to be put away somewhere dark.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The images coming out of the now liberated Bucha are horrendous. In one street they’ve found 14 shot civilian men, many of them with hands tied behind their back, along with an open mass grave full of dead civilians. SS-esque this. Putin has to be put away somewhere dark.

Just been reading about it. Almost 300 people in a mass grave! Executing civilians in the streets, it’s serious war crime bordering on ethnic cleansing/genocide. Putin needs to be stopped/shot dead. 

• Like 1

The International Committee of The Red Cross tried to send 54 coaches in to Mariupol on Friday to help evacuate some civilians, they had to turn back as it was too dangerous. Those poor people are just trapped with no food, water, medicine or hope at the moment :(

All that I can conclude upon entering this thread is that I must make the most of each day I have here, be kind to strangers, neighbours and loved ones alike.

It's suggested above Putin belongs somewhere dark. We are all here already, I don't care if you're upper class and white, or a child soldier fighting in the Rwandan civil war while the likelihood of your mother being raped while you fight for a lost cause, is probable.

Sorry all for the above. What happens at war, and I'm not just talking about armed conflicts between sovereign states, is harrowing, and what is even oftentimes scarier is how these men at the helm envision the world during times of peace.

Don't get too caught up in our own propaganda either. We need more than terror being broadcast through the airwaves to amend what all of us are eventually going to have to deal with.

Edited by A'Villan

27 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

All that I can conclude upon entering this thread is that I must make the most of each day I have here, be kind to strangers, neighbours and loved ones alike.

It's suggested above Putin belongs somewhere dark. We are all here already, I don't care if you're upper class and white, or a child soldier fighting in the Rwandan civil war while the likelihood of your mother being raped while you fight for a lost cause, is probable.

Sorry all for the above. What happens at war, and I'm not just talking about armed conflicts between sovereign states, is harrowing, and what is even oftentimes scarier is how these men at the helm envision the world during times of peace.

Don't get too caught up in our own propaganda either. We need more than terror being broadcast through the airwaves to amend what all of us are eventually going to have to deal with.

I disagree that war is comparable with the everyday suffering people experience in peaceful countries.

I am a bit worried about the way we have started to celebrate the deaths of other human beings. I know they’re soldiers, and I know they’re invaders, and guilty of some horrific things, but it’s not healthy to celebrate violent death.

This hatred is going to last generations and cause future conflicts and future deaths. Ultimately nobody wins from war.

I deeply despise Putin, and I’m disgusted by any Russian soldier who has committed war crimes. But one day we have to build some kind of relationship with Russia in the same way we did with Germany, Italy, Japan, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

45 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Just been reading about it. Almost 300 people in a mass grave! Executing civilians in the streets, it’s serious war crime bordering on ethnic cleansing/genocide. Putin needs to be stopped/shot dead. 

Just to confirm, this is now being reported as 'witnessed by AFP', so I'm taking this as a lot more reliable than most stuff you see on the internet:

(The line about 'as witnessed by AFP' is in the next tweet in the thread, but I haven't included that as you can see bodies in the background - beware before you click on the tweet)

• Like 1

Srebrenica. Same MO.

Putin, yes, but the accountability of this must go all of the way from the top, down to the troops on the ground. Since this began, people have defended the frontline Russian soldier, and for good reason at first; many of them surrendered, they were lied to, and there was reason to believe they didn't know what was going on.  But at this point, there is no defending it, and each and every one of them that continued fighting is culpable for this war and the crimes committed by their army.

Clemency for those who walked away, but the most severe punishment possible for every **** one of them that continued in this invasion.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I disagree that war is comparable with the everyday suffering people experience in peaceful countries.

I am a bit worried about the way we have started to celebrate the deaths of other human beings. I know they’re soldiers, and I know they’re invaders, and guilty of some horrific things, but it’s not healthy to celebrate violent death.

This hatred is going to last generations and cause future conflicts and future deaths. Ultimately nobody wins from war.

I deeply despise Putin, and I’m disgusted by any Russian soldier who has committed war crimes. But one day we have to build some kind of relationship with Russia in the same way we did with Germany, Italy, Japan, etc.

I've not articulated myself well enough to convey what I meant because if I had then you would have to be disagreeing with a different point.

Forgive me thanks to the Wolves game I've had all of an hours sleep. Maybe another time.

Do you know much about the relationship 'we' developed with Nazi Germany post war? I mean outside of the narrative that is offered in history classes and mainstream media?

I want to be clear before leaving this discussion for today that I wholeheartedly agree with the essence of your message, if I am not misconstrued, and that is in order for peace and society to prevail, we must learn to work together. That is as clear as day.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I've not articulated myself well enough to convey what I meant because if I had then you would have to be disagreeing with a different point.

Forgive me thanks to the Wolves game I've had all of an hours sleep. Maybe another time.

Do you know much about the relationship 'we' developed with Nazi Germany post war? I mean outside of the narrative that is offered in history classes and mainstream media?

I want to be clear before leaving this discussion for today that I wholeheartedly agree with the essence of your message, if I am not misconstrued, and that is in order for peace and society to prevail, we must learn to work together. That is as clear as day.

Sorry, this is the second time I've done this today. My first sentence was disagreeing with your post, but the rest was elaborating on (and agreeing with) the point (I think!) you were making.

Edit: and the post-war settlement with Germany is a good example. We allowed a lot of Nazis / Nazi sympathisers to carry on being influential figures in Germany, because that was the only way to allow them to run their country effectively. The alternative is Iraq, where all of the pro-Saddam guys were banished, and we created an enormous army of antagonists who basically fuelled the rise of ISIS.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

If there is only one thing that I'm proud of this Government for, it is this.  We were amongst the first to provide military assistance to the Ukrainians well before this war kicked off and we have been training their troops (on Op ORBITAL) for years.

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

Â