Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

15 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Time for Sweden and Finland to join NATO, they're already well integrated with drills and procedures. There's nothing to lose.

I don't think those planes were threatening Sweden or Finland , they was probably enroute to their number one distractor in Europe.......

Looks like this war is being treated like other wars, Syria , Afghanistan...... By leading nations from around the world ,outside of Europe. These countries will fuel it with money and weapons and Russia and the Ukrainians will pay with the lives of their people and Europe will pay with instability and inflation. 

It's only what we have done with wars in other parts of the world and its really coming home to roost. The western world and its behaviour is being challenged. 

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

I don't think those planes were threatening Sweden or Finland , they was probably enroute to their number one distractor in Europe.......

Looks like this war is being treated like other wars, Syria , Afghanistan...... By leading nations from around the world ,outside of Europe. These countries will fuel it with money and weapons and Russia and the Ukrainians will pay with the lives of their people and Europe will pay with instability and inflation. 

It's only what we have done with wars in other parts of the world and its really coming home to roost. The western world and its behaviour is being challenged. 

Do you think Ukraine should be abandoned by its supporters to avoid  “instability and inflation” in Europe, or is it that the west isn’t doing enough to support Ukraine that you’re taking issue with?  

Edited by Awol

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

No, they definitely were. You don't fly into another countries airspace with nukes onboard and not consider it a threat

It's not a serious threat, but it was a test, it happens all the time, it isn't an accident. It's only reportworthy because of the weaponry onboard.

They weren't flying in an attacking formation but the intention was to test the response and show off the nukes

It's a very strange tactic because it can only result in Sweden eventually being more likely to actually join NATO but the Russians won't view it like that, they'll view it as sending a warning of what could happen if they do join NATO.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Awol said:

Do you think Ukraine should be abandoned by its supporters to avoid  “instability and inflation” in Europe, or is it that the west isn’t doing enough to support Ukraine that you’re taking issue with?  

No, I think we have made mistakes in the past, well our leader have, fighting wars or enabling wars ( supplying weapons) in regions far from Europe and have reaped the rewards and ignored the moral implications. Now countries like China and India are supplying support to Russia and probably the Ukraine by supplying them with weapons and finance to fight a war that's far from their continents.  

Ukraine and the Russian people are paying the price for all of this and Europe and America have no moral high ground because of their own behaviour.

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

No, they definitely were. You don't fly into another countries airspace with nukes onboard and not consider it a threat

It's not a serious threat, but it was a test, it happens all the time, it isn't an accident. It's only reportworthy because of the weaponry onboard.

They weren't flying in an attacking formation but the intention was to test the response and show off the nukes

It's a very strange tactic because it can only result in Sweden eventually being more likely to actually join NATO but the Russians won't view it like that, they'll view it as sending a warning of what could happen if they do join NATO.

It is a threat to them, however  they flew through Finland and into Swedens airspace , it's a direct route to the UK.  If they had flown any further towards the UK then we would have to launch our response which would mean our nukes in the air. Dangerous times for us . 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m finding myself constantly looking negative as I’m constantly trying to give balance. So I’m going to duck out and just be a reader of the happy tweets about liberated tanks.

The question of how positive/negative one is is highly dependant on the belief on Russian political/military aims of this war.

If one thinks that Russia wanted to take over Ukraine from day 1 and destroy Kiev, kill Zelensky, install a puppet government, well, they are failing. In fact, they are a laughing stock. 

If one thinks that the real aim might be to call the western NATO bluff and prevent that from happening, it looks like they will succeed. They will also possibly gain the Donbas region and connect it with Crimea. Maybe Putin thinks that losing numerous planes, helicopters, countless tanks is a price worth paying. 

I read an interesting review saying that Russia's political aims highly outweigh the military ones in this conflict.

The real tragedy of this war is that to succeed in these aims, whatever they are,  thousands of innocent people and young soldiers will die. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Does anyone know how Russia has manipulated the Rubble to pre war value.

This makes no sense and should be impossible to achieve legally I suspect? 

The Ruble rate is not a meaningful reflection of the Russian economy.

The WSJ did a good article on this a few days pack. It’s behind a paywall - but you can find the article here if interested:

https://jnews.uk/how-russias-central-bank-engineered-the-rubles-rebound/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The Ruble rate is not a meaningful reflection of the Russian economy.

The WSJ did a good article on this a few days pack. It’s behind a paywall - but you can find the article here if interested:

https://jnews.uk/how-russias-central-bank-engineered-the-rubles-rebound/

Interesting,  thanks.

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Interesting,  thanks.

I found this a very useful thread on the subject:

This video also suggests that an important factor has been the selling ban on foreigners selling Russian stocks, which would have put further downward pressure on the ruble:

Key section from 4:35 onwards (though note that the bit about Russia forcing nations to pay for gas in rubles has since been walked back by the Russian government, so that doesn't look like it will happen, at least at this stage). 

• Thanks 2

Saw on the news yesterday,three Russian tanks left abandoned after Ukrain troops attacked and the Russians ran away.Surley China and Korea are looking at different countries to partner ?!

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I found this a very useful thread on the subject:

This video also suggests that an important factor has been the selling ban on foreigners selling Russian stocks, which would have put further downward pressure on the ruble:

Key section from 4:35 onwards (though note that the bit about Russia forcing nations to pay for gas in rubles has since been walked back by the Russian government, so that doesn't look like it will happen, at least at this stage). 

no, change of plan again, here it is in fact happening:

Â