Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Interesting news that suggests the cooperation agreement announced before the invasion is more than skin deep. It could be that the US is being smart again by pre-emptively releasing intelligence to put China on the spot, or it could be both. But if China is going to back fill Russian loses then the Ukrainians are going to need a lot more missiles. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Russian River Brewing Co. to produce special beer for Ukraine relief aid effort (pressdemocrat.com)

Couldn't find anything about them getting threats after a quick search.  I know there are a lot of idiots in the US and California, but I don't think even the thickest would confuse the name with support for Russia.  This is a very well known brewing company in the states, particularly in the West.   Their annual limited release of the beer Pliney the Younger is a major event, with people lining up and even sleeping overnight IIRC, limits to how much you can buy.  It's very hard to get any. 

Pliney the Elder is available year-round and is an excellent double IPA.

Drinking Pinot in the Russian River Valley and drinking Pliny are both in my top 5 reasons to visit California.

• Like 1

In other news, Fox News is deadly silent on the fact that Tucker Carlson seems to have become Russia's new propaganda tool, where he's allowed to continually spout lies and dangerous conspiracy theories. He's on Russian state TV almost daily:

Putin’s Goons Say Tucker Carlson Is Must-See TV

Here’s a small selection of things Carlson had to say about the Russian president and his war during his February shows:

It’s “not un-American” to support Putin.
The whole Ukraine situation thing is simply a “border dispute.”
“Ukraine is not a democracy.”
Ukraine is a “puppet” of the West.
Unless Putin personally had you or one of your family members murdered, you really don’t have any right to criticize the guy.

And while Carlson recently came around to conceding that what’s happening in Ukraine is bad and that “Vladimir Putin started this war,” he’s nevertheless continued to carry water for Russia, which has included:

Pushing lies about Ukraine and biological weapons.
Claiming this is all a pretext for the U.S. to start World War III.
Arguing that sanctions are not stopping Putin.
Having a guest on his show who claimed the U.S. should stop providing arms to Ukraine because it’s “leading them on.”

I don't even know who he's trying to suck up to anymore, Trump, Putin, China?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why would the media think that reporting this kind of thing was a good idea? 

You would imagine that story has been released (EDIT: Its come from the Polish Press Agency so definitely)

Probably because they want the Russians to know they are there for multiple reasons including shell it while we're here and who knows what the consequences will be. It's probably safer that the Russians know

Just now, Genie said:

Aswell as reporting today, there were UK special forces soldiers training others in that camp they hit and many other UK troops in mainland Ukraine. Cheers yet again Media for bringing us into this war.

I slated Biden for being asleep, but his statement about the US not entering the conflict (even though there is probably many of there troops there), was bang on and what we need to be saying

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

In other news, Fox News is deadly silent on the fact that Tucker Carlson seems to have become Russia's new propaganda tool, where he's allowed to continually spout lies and dangerous conspiracy theories. He's on Russian state TV almost daily:

Putin’s Goons Say Tucker Carlson Is Must-See TV

I don't even know who he's trying to suck up to anymore, Trump, Putin, China?

Political "Shock Jock" who appears to be clearly off his tits/meds.

Funny how the super patriotic 'right whingers' have started attacking their own countries and highlighting their chequered histories for some whataboutery points whereas they'd typically defend them to the hilt.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Funny how the super patriotic 'right whingers' have started attacking their own countries and highlighting their chequered histories for some whataboutery points whereas they'd typically defend them to the hilt.

I've been surprised how obvious they are making themselves given the situation - they must be living in fear of doing otherwise.

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Released by the Polish government. The Slovenian (I think) PM even tweeted they're going. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Released by the Polish government. The Slovenian (I think) PM even tweeted they're going. 

Targeting them (even to kill Zelensky) would be an act of war by Russia and all sides know that.

• Like 1

If I was the Polish PM on a train in Ukraine I’d quite like the Russians and the World to know EXACTLY where I was.

Edited by chrisp65
Edited out ‘the’
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I just fear it could end up being a war by proxy with the west on one side and Russia and China on the other. And the Ukrainians in the middle.

I think we're already there to some extent - the question is how long it drags on for, how many casualties there are, and how much the violence and economic damage spreads.

If history's anything to go by, this could easily last 10+ years. I hope not, but we have to be realistic. The conflict could outlast Putin.

Â