Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s pretty mental that we’re still wondering why Putin invaded Ukraine.

Because of a bat in a wet market in Wuhan

sorry, wrong thread 😉😂

• Haha 3

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

56 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure if it's been discussed and I can't find the link. But Liz Truss was answering questions today would not agree the war on Ukraine was a act of aggression by Putin? Even when the guy continually asked the question. She said on the lines of, "it's something for our legal team to handle".

"?

Sorry, completely misread your question. No, not seen that but would be odd as the whole Government have clearly stated Russia are in the wrong here. 

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Polish delivery of MiG jets has hit a snag. Bit more of an explanation here:

I read differently previously. From what I read, it sounded like the US couldn't give their jets to Ukraine directly because the jets that the US have are much newer and the Ukraine pilots do not know how to fly them. So instead, the US and Poland are doing a deal which will see Poland give the US their MiG jets (which the Ukraine pilots know how to fly) and in return Poland may get fancy ass new jets. 

Would be strange for the US and Poland to even bother doing this exchange if the Ukraine pilots can't fly them. 

But what I read could be complete bollocks. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I read differently previously. From what I read, it sounded like the US couldn't give their jets to Ukraine directly because the jets that the US have are much newer and the Ukraine pilots do not know how to fly them. So instead, the US and Poland are doing a deal which will see Poland give the US their MiG jets (which the Ukraine pilots know how to fly) and in return Poland may get fancy ass new jets. 

Would be strange for the US and Poland to even bother doing this exchange if the Ukraine pilots can't fly them. 

But what I read could be complete bollocks. 

Yes, the bit in bold is the deal that has just been scrapped. The Poles sprung it on the Americans without consulting, and the US (probably correctly) think it would be a pointless escalation with minimal benefit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yes, the bit in bold is the deal that has just been scrapped. The Poles sprung it on the Americans without consulting, and the US (probably correctly) think it would be a pointless escalation with minimal benefit.

It's a good point.. Ideally Ukrainian pilots should be able to collect just over the border but I cannot see a transfer from Germany happening. I'm no expert on these matters though.

I can understand the Polish standpoint though if they're concerned about handing these over. They've done more physically than anyone to assist Ukrainians. Leaving them to deliver aircraft and potentially escalate tensions between them and Russia is a bit much. The Poles have already been amazing tbh. 

While I admire the sentiment of Poland giving over the aircraft, and encouraging others to do the same, the transfer to the US was absolutely ludicrous.

Was Putin going to look at this arrangement and think "well technically, Poland didn't aid our enemy....".

• Like 1

I think the exchange was supposed to happen quietly but now we all know about it they’ve got cold feet (Or perhaps have now opened an opportunity to do it on the sly again 😅)

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

It is good to know that the little girl who sang " Let it go" in the bunker, is now out of Ukraine with her older brother, and is safely with her grandmother in Poland.

Meanwhile, her parents have stayed behind.

• Like 2

The MiG's won't be what wins the war. Drones and deep forays behind Russian lines will. The Russians will have their aa batteries up and ready now, so there's no need to throw away the lives of more Ukranian pilots for no gain. 

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Official statement from Pentagon

The US has bottled it, either the State Department or Biden directly having given the green light a few days ago.

They’ve managed to turn this into a win for Putin, bizarrely. 

Edit:

Edited by Awol

1 minute ago, Awol said:

The US has bottled it, either the State Department or Biden directly having given the green light a few days ago.

They’ve managed to turn this into a win for Putin, bizarrely. 

I think everyone that read it was surprised though tbh. It would certainly be seen as an escalation which might change the game by Russia drastically.

Just now, Genie said:

I think everyone that read it was surprised though tbh. It would certainly be seen as an escalation which might change the game by Russia drastically.

Don’t see how it’s qualitatively different to supplying thousands of missiles that shoot down Russian aircraft. A transfer via the US ( the so-called leader of the free world) removes the possibility of Russian escalation because what are they going to do? Transfer directly from Poland leaves the Poles potentially exposed. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Don’t see how it’s qualitatively different to supplying thousands of missiles that shoot down Russian aircraft. A transfer via the US ( the so-called leader of the free world) removes the possibility of Russian escalation because what are they going to do? Transfer directly from Poland leaves the Poles potentially exposed. 

It’ll be seen possibly as the straw that breaks the back.

Yes, a lot of stuff is happening in the shadows but Poland transferring jets to the US just to transfer them to Ukraine is a step up and I expect will be seen as an escalation.

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Couldn’t Poland just leave the keys in the ignition and someone happens to steal all 29 of them when the Poles were distracted …if they just happened to turn up in Ukraine , well that would just be a one of those believable coincidences , just like Russians visiting Salisbury to look at a cathedral 

What do you mean? It truly is a magnificent spire.

Â