Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, PussEKatt said:

Yes,it was on Four corners.I think you get that in England as well

Whatever it is you were watching was wrong, totally wrong

Ukraine wants to join NATO, it was years and possibly decades away from being able to do this and even then, there was no guarantee they'd be allowed

The UN has no power of veto over who joins NATO, nor does Russia

13 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

According to a docco that I watched a Russian is the secetary General of either NATO or the UN and according to this documentary the SG has been veto Ukrain joining NATO for ages

Not sure what you watched - but the UN have no power to veto NATO members.

There are no Russians in NATO. It's a defensive alliance of the US, Canada + most of Western (and now Eastern...) Europe. It's head is Jens Stoltenberg and he's Norweigan. The prior head was Danish I think.

The UN Secretary General is Portguese, Antonio Gutteres. Russia are on the Security Council of the UN (along with the UK, USA, China and France aka the original nuclear powers) - this gives them the right to veto legislation proposed in the UN. However, NATO is a completely independent organisation. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FB_IMG_1646402520290.jpg

Of course the same could be said about those who spend hours on a certain forum (not mentioning any names) but have never been involved with the running of a Premier League football club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Premier League: China's rights holder will not show games over Ukraine support

Chinese rights holders have told the Premier League they will not broadcast English top-flight matches this weekend because of the league's planned shows of support for Ukraine, the BBC has learnt.

China is a close political ally of Russia, which has invaded Ukraine.

The Premier League has said it "wholeheartedly rejects Russia's actions" and is set to show solidarity with Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60524865

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is the alternative to this - that people know nothing about current affairs and have no interest in learning - actually better?

Doesn't seem like it to me.

Seems natural to me that we try to make sense of something that threatens all our lives and liberties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. The Chinese agenda will be as much to do with internal strife and not showing any form of political demonstration as it will be to do with supporting Russia

My thoughts exactly. They just want status quo, and always have. 

[insert meme gif here]

There is a fairly realistic probability that a hot war with Russia would not actually result in nuclear war. The logic of M.A.D. is supposed to prevent either side from actually pushing the button. It’s tempting to call Putin’s bluff, though I understand why we don’t. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Do you have some examples of this? Ukraine forces bombing civilians that is.

Did he mention Ukrainian forces? I didn't read it like that. I read it as bombs dropped on civilians, some of whom are Russian. 

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Did he mention Ukrainian forces? I didn't read it like that. I read it as bombs dropped on civilians, some of whom are Russian. 

Well they could be from anywhere then.

Are Russian civilians being indiscriminately bombed by Ukraine? No.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Â